Subject: Need help finding a specific book (or books) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a book I read back in the early-to-mid 80's (I believe was published sometime in the late-70's, early-80's) that was a collection of drawings/paintings satirizing popular culture, modern life and historical events. The humor of the pictures was absurd and hyperbolic. It's quite possible that it's two different books I'm thinking of. Anyways, here's a description of some of the pages:

- Sometime in the far future, archaeologists excavate the remains of a house from our time period, in order to determine what life was like in the 20th century. The panel is of a skeleton sitting in a bathroom with a toilet cover around his neck. We recognize that he probably died during drunken revelry. But the archaeologists speculate: "this is clearly a sacred ritual during a time when toiletry items are worshipped."

- Another panel recreates the famous catch that an outfielder made during a World Series game. The picture shows the player jumping about 50 feet up in the air, framed by the excited crowd in the background.

- Another panel shows a special stamp issued honoring the Italian Air Force during the WWII. The stamp is designed so that it can be flipped over, to show that it can still be use after the Italians changed sides during the war.

Like I mentioned, I may be mashing up two different books here, but both were brilliantly funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
The toilet seat thing sounds very "Farside".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I think it's a David Macaulay book . . .

"Motel of the Mysteries."

http://www.amazon.com/Motel-Mysteries-David-Macaulay/dp/0395...

That's it! (at least one of them)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved that book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.