United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Apparently, London modeled their Olympic venues like they did in Sydney. Where there were very few permanent structures, and those that were permanent are already slated for professional venues. Or so that's what I heard while watching the Olympics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
NPR did a story about how the Bird's Nest (Beijing Olympics) is hemorrhaging cash and how they're trying to be creative about how to fill it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nah, they actually planned for this in advance. The venues are all either pre-existing and will return to their previous purpose, can be drastically remodeled to serve a more typical purpose or can be disassembled entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2012 Games were a resounding success. the UK and especially London should be very proud of what they pulled off. They had record attendance, public transit kept up with the high demand, there were no major issues, and things went very smoothly overall. The precognitive naysayers called it wrong on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
The 2012 Games were a resounding success. the UK and especially London should be very proud of what they pulled off. They had record attendance, public transit kept up with the high demand, there were no major issues, and things went very smoothly overall. The precognitive naysayers called it wrong on this one.

Yes and it's damn annoying as I said it would be a success hoping it would be fail, Why? We need to moan about something other than the weather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
The entire Olympics and their eventual success was all just a ploy to make Romney look bad. Well played, Obama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
The entire Olympics and their eventual success was all just a ploy to make Romney look bad. Well played, Obama.

Romney turning up and making himself look foolish was a masterpiece.

As to future plans, a lot of the cash is still there allocated to that. The area was a dump, literally, since it was bombed shitless in WW2. So its more than just the Olympics which was just the needed catalyst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:

Qualified agree.

Public transport was OK by and large because the anticipated flood of people simply did not eventuate. Central London was significantly, significantly down on tourist numbers for August (generally one of the busiest months). Shops and cafes who put on extra staff were basically empty. I've never seen so many transport staff standing around and doing nothing for their Olympic bonuses.

You can't get in a black cab without the cab driver complaining about it. And ironically now is the best time to get a 5 star hotel deal in years.

So goods and bads.*

*I am admittedly biased because the damn frigging HMAS Ocean is still parked outside our flat messing my frigging telephone and sending up helicopters at 2am.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
myopia wrote:
jmilum wrote:

Qualified agree.

Public transport was OK by and large because the anticipated flood of people simply did not eventuate. Central London was significantly, significantly down on tourist numbers for August (generally one of the busiest months). Shops and cafes who put on extra staff were basically empty. I've never seen so many transport staff standing around and doing nothing for their Olympic bonuses.

You can't get in a black cab without the cab driver complaining about it. And ironically now is the best time to get a 5 star hotel deal in years.

So goods and bads.*

*I am admittedly biased because the damn frigging HMAS Ocean is still parked outside our flat messing my frigging telephone and sending up helicopters at 2am.

Yeh they overdid the 'Don't go to London' thing. But then they had to overdo it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:

So as I was writing this post I was thinking, "great, I've finally found a topic, dilapidated post-Olympic stadiums from all over the world, that isn't US-centric and certainly won't be turned into a discussion on Obama or Romney. Surely Heinzguderian or some of the other whiny Europeans will appreciate this." That lasted 7 posts.

You reap what you sow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think those photos are fantastic, very nicely shot. Thanks for the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But LA still has the Rams and Raiders and Montreal still has the Expos right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:

So as I was writing this post I was thinking, "great, I've finally found a topic, dilapidated post-Olympic stadiums from all over the world, that isn't US-centric and certainly won't be turned into a discussion on Obama or Romney. Surely Heinzguderian or some of the other whiny Europeans will appreciate this." That lasted 7 posts.

Somebody had to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of these are kinda grasping at straws,

Look a stadium not being used as a stadium 80 years after it
was built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olympics still cost the taxpayer a hell of a lot more than he/she earns on it. So fuck 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, i like thqat fact that part of the london stadium setups are being dismantled to be shipped and re-used in rio.. should make a lot of them like that, get every olympics for the next 4 cycles to pay for massive prefab projects, then ship them around for each olympics.. the next step in the olympics surely has to be recycled stadiums now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
Notice how only the photo from the USA has a bum in it:

(Lying on the pavement in front of a church apparently.)

What makes you think that guy is a bum? Maybe he's a local high-powered business owner exhausted from a day of job creation who just stopped for a quick nap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:
Notice how only the photo from the USA has a bum in it:

(Lying on the pavement in front of a church apparently.)

What makes you think that guy is a bum? Maybe he's a local high-powered business owner exhausted from a day of job creation who just stopped for a quick nap.

he appears to be carrying a tricolor... he must be a bum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.