Recommend
26 
 Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Borderlands» Forums » News

Subject: (re-)Announcement at GenCon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
According to some posts on twitter from the In-Flight report.

I assume more information will be available later.

ETA: Early 2013
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Berman
United States
White River Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Who made the announcement?

Will FFG or someone else be doing this?

Whatever the answer, I'm glad to see this occuring.

Justin
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The announcement is from the FFG annual seminar at GenCon, so it's definitely FFG remaking the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not getting my hopes up. It may be an announcement that they're canceling the project.

I'm not a pessimist. A cynic, yes, but not a pessimist.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I swear...every time I spend big bucks to land a copy of a long out of print game, someone goes and announces a reprint. Anyone want anything else reprinted?
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Berman
United States
White River Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
raviv wrote:
The announcement is from the FFG annual seminar at GenCon, so it's definitely FFG remaking the game.


I'm an optimist on this. Thanks for the great news.

Justin
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fwiw, no new info than posted here but I got if off a BGN tweet

https://twitter.com/BoardgameNews/statuses/23651603584975667...
Eon's Borderlands is coming in early 2013 from Fantasy Flight Games after initial announcement in 2007. #gencon
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Found a picture:
27 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting shift in theme. Does this look like a tie-in with any other FFG franchise, like how Dune was marketed as a TI game?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adamxpaul wrote:
Interesting shift in theme. Does this look like a tie-in with any other FFG franchise, like how Dune was marketed as a TI game?

At first sight, no. It seems just a regular steampunk theme... but FFG has a buckload of 'em, so, it could be anything...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, that's quite a big box for Borderlands. They might have changed this one more than Dune even.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't see any other franchise markings.

One thing that the big box is saying to me, along with the steampunk theme, is that they may include some parts of the expansions in the base game (like the zeppelins).

Also, how cool would it be if the zeppelins were mounted on stands like the fleet in Rex or the ships in Merchant of Venus? I mean, this isn't a particularly components-heavy game, so they can probably afford to go the extra mile on a few of the miniatures, if they have any.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dawson_osu wrote:

One thing that the big box is saying to me, along with the steampunk theme, is that they may include some parts of the expansions in the base game (like the zeppelins).

Also, how cool would it be if the zeppelins were mounted on stands like the fleet in Rex or the ships in Merchant of Venus? I mean, this isn't a particularly components-heavy game, so they can probably afford to go the extra mile on a few of the miniatures, if they have any.


I certainly hope the components get a decent pimping up from the drab original. And, if it has a new steam-punkish theme, I dunno. It's starting to wear on me just like the zombie craze.

Something different would be very welcome.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another picture (slightly better):
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and another (big but blurry):
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Gaete
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anybody take a picture from the back of the box? That would be awesome! Because there could be more information about number of players and content if the box.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be off, but could it be that FFG have acquired rights for a Borderlands game? And are planning to merge these two together for double the fun?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Henkka wrote:
I may be off, but could it be that FFG have acquired rights for a Borderlands game? And are planning to merge these two together for double the fun?


Perhaps, but the planet of Pandora that Borderlands is set on isn't a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Pandora is just an alien wasteland, no nukes or any apocalypse needed.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CROC
France
Guyancourt
Yvelines
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmb
luckacs wrote:
Can anybody take a picture from the back of the box? That would be awesome! Because there could be more information about number of players and content if the box.


That's what I thought immediatly... And on the back of the box...
There were the... front of the box.

They've done the same thing with Star Wars LCG.

The Mansions of madness and Game of thrones boxes had their real back !

CROC
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dawson_osu wrote:
Yeah, I don't see any other franchise markings.

One thing that the big box is saying to me, along with the steampunk theme, is that they may include some parts of the expansions in the base game (like the zeppelins).

Also, how cool would it be if the zeppelins were mounted on stands like the fleet in Rex or the ships in Merchant of Venus? I mean, this isn't a particularly components-heavy game, so they can probably afford to go the extra mile on a few of the miniatures, if they have any.


You do know this is FFG we are talking about. The game will contain just enough to make it playable and there will be expansions to follow. Some will put items in that really should have been in the base game to start with. Oh and a Deck of Cards for Combat or randomization of some sort.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hutchin
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mb
Looks kind of like their Dust setting to me
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the FFG expansion stereotypes are outdated. If their recent output like Mansions is any indication, the game will mostly be playable, then they'll expand it and make it infinitely worse.

I am optimistic here. Borderlands is an almost simple game in concept. There isn't a lot to mess around with, and they did a great job with the other Eon remakes. I am not placing bets, but my guess is this and Rex will remain standalones.

Hopefully there is a more illuminating news post soon. They kept us mostly in the dark for Rex after the big Gencon reveal, and that was supposedly coming out the same year.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adamxpaul wrote:
I think the FFG expansion stereotypes are outdated. If their recent output like Mansions is any indication, the game will mostly be playable, then they'll expand it and make it infinitely worse.


Sorry my mistake Merchant of Venus
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rdsmith wrote:
...if it has a new steam-punkish theme, I dunno...


I'm not a fan of the steam punk theme either...never played the board game but had been lookin' forward to this since I really enjoyed the computer implementation that was based on it (Lords of Conquest) back in my Commodore 64 days...with the theme change though, this will be a wait and see...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
isn't complaining about the theme of the game an hypocrisy on this euro-game dominated forum? you guys always seem happy shifting the woodem cubes stating proudly that you are above the theme of the game focusing solely on its mechanics.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.