Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It would have to be one hell of an expansion for me to be interested. I still don't like what Horned Rat did to the game and have abstained from buying it after a few trying it for about 5 plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be very excited by the prospect of another expansion. The Rat did disappoint mightily with correcting perceived imbalances with even more imbalance, but I was impressed at how cleverly the 5th player was integrated, a greater concern for me. If they can concoct god decks and upgrades that give each god an equal chance of a dial and VP victory - and an equal chance of victory - that would perfect the game for me (and it's terrific as it is).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
It would have to be one hell of an expansion for me to be interested. I still don't like what Horned Rat did to the game and have abstained from buying it after a few trying it for about 5 plays.

What the heck is wrong with it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
corkysru wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:

What the heck is wrong with it?

Did I say something was wrong with it? Wrong is an absolute. I just said I didn't like CitOW with Horned Rat added. Personal preference. I'd elaborate, but I'm pressed for time. If I remember, I'll get back to this later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just when I was thinking of getting rid of Chaos in the Old World. Maybe, I'll have to hang onto it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They did a pretty cool thing with the rat expansion. Far more interesting cards with cooler and less predictable interaction, but they left the option to still use the old style of cards for those who prefer that style of gameplay.

I honestly wonder what they'd do this time though (assuming another expansion is really coming). This is pretty far down on the list of games I think need (another) expansion. The game's lean system already seems bursting at the seams in the Horned Rat (making it hard to add MORE stuff) and having a 3rd fresh new set of stuff to choose from would just be weird
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
They made Skaven tokens more prominent with the Horned Rat, so the next one is all about the PEASANT UPRISING.

Maybe somebody who knows the Warhammer 40K universe has better ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirHandsome wrote:
honestly wonder what they'd do this time though (assuming another expansion is really coming). This is pretty far down on the list of games I think need (another) expansion. The game's lean system already seems bursting at the seams in the Horned Rat (making it hard to add MORE stuff) and having a 3rd fresh new set of stuff to choose from would just be weird

These comments seem spot on to me, Sir Handsome. I enjoy the fifth player but it certainly does produce a small hill of plastic and cardboard in each region, each with its own little chain of effects to resolve (still love it). I wonder if another board might be considered? ...or simply other gods to substitute in with the cap of five players still standing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not quite sure how they could further expand the game without bloating it. Certainly they could add additional Old World and Spell cards.

One possibility is an Old World expansion that gives the Old World additional content/options (Heroes/Lords, Old World Deck, specialized peasant tokens, additional tokens). I'm worried upkeep of bits and managing all the damn tokens will not be worth the trouble.

I agree that I'd rather see effort on other games than on CitOW as it's pretty great where it stands (although fixing it so that Nurgle can win in the expansion would be great).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, Horned Rat is best expansion FFG ever made. It just overdelivers like there's no tomorrow.
I'm perfectly happy with Chaos as it is, but if they decide to expand it, I hope they can make it as good as HR. Sixth player would be supercool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just give me some new upgrade cards that make some sense to use and are a real decision for each match anew. Maybe blend the best of the two existing chaos decks into one that is really good. Keep all the rest as its perfect as it is. No 5th player, no new mechanics. Maybe redo some of the events that are too drastic or too lopsided.

Yeah thats it, a set of all new cards. Chaos, Upgrades, Events. Keep all the rest. Some things only get worse with trying to make them even better as they already are, as the first expansion showed. It can only get better after this wasted effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
They made Skaven tokens more prominent with the Horned Rat, so the next one is all about the PEASANT UPRISING.

Well, the obvious place to go is to introduce a sixth player that gets to play as the Old World and whose main victory condition is getting the game to go to time. There's several of us that have already come up with variations on how to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Horned Rat (though ultimately flawed) was an improvement on the original, so if the trend continues, another expansion may hit the mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shiri Tai
msg tools
Awesome, I am really psyched for this. The Horned Rat was an amazing work of design and if they can keep Horned Rat quality card funness with original game balance between dial and VP and the different gods, that would be incredible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Crumb Sheik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only reason you can find fault with Horned Rat is because the base game is so awesome, compared to so many other games it's just supreme.

I love the mechanics so variation on details would be cool with me. Option for 6 players or keep 5 players max with more gods to pick from, just gimme. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Most logical place to take it would perhaps be an undead faction that lets you get units for free from peasant tokens, or maybe add plus one attack for each peasant in that region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Being familiar with the mythology of the Warhammer world, I really don't know what they could choose to add. There's only so many gods, you know? In the 40k world, there's Malal aka Malice, The Laughing God Cegorath, the War God Khaine and beyond them and the previously released Gods/Ruinous Powers, there's nothing much else that's canonical. They mention the 4 major Powers, the 5th one is Malal/Malice the Renegade God, and they acknowledge the existence of "minor" deities, but mention few. The only ones acknowledged by name in the 40k world; Ans'l, Mo'rcck and Phraz-Etar, are puns on the last names of Bryan Ansell, Michael Moorcock, and Frank Frazetta, writers and artists whose work all contributed to the look and feel of the Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40k universes.

Khaine would be too close to Khorne. Cegorath wasn't worshiped in the Fantasy world that CitOW is set. I suppose it's possible to assign a player to be Malal/Malice whose goal would be to thwart every other player and whose win condition might be the equivalent of winning by default or "the game winning".

Beyond this, I'm stumped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible that maybe a player could control the Old World somehow and battle against the Chaos Gods. That's been speculated a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
russell gowlett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
selwyth wrote:

Well, the obvious place to go is to introduce a sixth player that gets to play as the Old World and whose main victory condition is getting the game to go to time. There's several of us that have already come up with variations on how to do that.

Yeah yeah, thats really what I would want to see! I would love another expansion!!
devil - khorne
soblue - Tzeentch
gulp - Nurgle
robot - Horned rat
meeple - Old World humans!
Where is Slaanesh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shiri Tai
msg tools
They could use Gork & Mork, or Hashut, or make a stretch and take Nagash or Settra. (I've been theorycrafting a Hashut set for fun, there seems to be room for it.) Even Sigmar, although he'd play differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if its nice for you guys with background knowledge to speculate about which other god may be added, I really hope they dont do any of this. What this game needs the least is adding another player. My guess and hope is they realize this well enough. With the asynchronous approach its very hard to keep balance and some structure if you add yet another unique god to the whole web.

My speculation is that they may change the dial advancement condition for one or even all of the already existing gods. Maybe it will be possible to gather DACs in greater amounts. You may gain several ones in the same region or you gain more DACs by exceeding your regular condition. There might be better options for additional ticks, like they tried with the card "Nurgles Quest" in the first expansion. This should ensure a hotter race for the dial. What the game currently lacks is an option to make up for missed ticks. You can always make up for VP, sort of. The limit of VP is in only in theory and well beyond of what you need to win the game. However, if you miss ticks, you are out of the race, because ticks are limited to a max of 2 per turn. This makes for boring end games sometimes, when you set yourself to the dial but are out of striking distance before someone else wins by VP. I am seeing opportunities to improve this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Umbratus wrote:
What the game currently lacks is an option to make up for missed ticks. You can always make up for VP, sort of. The limit of VP is in only in theory and well beyond of what you need to win the game. However, if you miss ticks, you are out of the race, because ticks are limited to a max of 2 per turn. This makes for boring end games sometimes, when you set yourself to the dial but are out of striking distance before someone else wins by VP. I am seeing opportunities to improve this.

Outstanding observation; I hadn't thought about that. There is nothing worse than a player eliminated in the first three rounds having to hang around for another hour. Some kind of expansion opportunity for this (however uphill that player would have to travel or unlikely an achievement that player would have to achieve to catch up) would be very welcome. If they could pull that off as well as offer truly balanced decks, that would be ideal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see a third deck (and second + third for the Horned Rat) for each god that could be substituted (similar to what came with the Horned Rat)... and a rule set for building each gods' decks from their respective card pools.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the base game, Nurgle could only win by VP. In the expansion, they tried to give him an option to win by dial. Alot of cards are focussed on that. However, it was not enough to make it a viable option. So he was stripped of his extra VP generating possibilities. I guess you can pull a VP win now and then, still more likely than a dial win, but overall, it was worse than before, Nurgle could not really win anymore. Whats worse than that ?

Ideally, you'd have both options equally possible and you decide on the way as you play your game and according to how the game develops which path you want to pursue. Ideally.

Khorne can easily win either way with the expansion. But it is not balanced.

If they really do it well, and that needs alot of playtesting, then I hope they can provide equal options for both gods. So you can make it a choice each time you play, that would be fantastic.

If you are set to a certain strategy depending on which set of cards you use, that may be boring and you may be predictable, but at least it works and its fun to play.

If they cannot do it, keep the fixed strategies. Nothing worse than screwed balance and set strategies leading to nowhere. They really dropped the ball with this Nurgle dial thing. Hope they dont do that again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.