Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello!

Yesterday I gave a chance to the Space Hulk: Death Angel on my first solo mission (played before but only with others).

So I went to defy the genestealers with my team of mariners:

Brother Leon
Brother Valencio
Lexicanium Calistarius
Chaplain Raziel
Brother Claudio
Brother Goriel

I chose all three duos and right away, when the mission started, I realized I had made a mistake: they all had a card that only is of use if there is a support token on the mariners cards, but none of the other cards gave such tokens to the mariners. That is, instead of 9 useful cards I had actually 7 available. Really smart on my part.

Well, since military intelligence should not be greater than mine, I went ahead with the team that does not fit all that well togheter. So the six mariners entered the Space Hulk.

Right away Brother Leon posicioned by the Door, to unlock it and clog it with explosives. The others were there just to cover his actions and, if possible, not to be killed by genestealers. It was almost - almost - perfect. But Brother Valencio was caught and killed by two insects. The first casualty. However, the other five went to the Dark Catacombs and the explosives did their part to destroy all aliens who persecuted them.

In the Catacombs the soldiers moved their positions so that Brother Leon worked in the next door, and he, being in the middle of the line, would be able to help others with covering fire.

As in the previous room, the mission continued within acceptable: Brother Goriel fell victim to the incessant attacks of the genestealers, but the other four were able to proceed. Again the acess door was exploded with great precision and ended the murderous rage of various creatures plus it block the corridor.

The mariners got into the Wrath of Baal Chapel where the situation totally got out of control. Until then the powerful attacks made by Brother Claudio and Brother Leon were very effective and this, together with the precise detonations, allowed a relatively safe breakthrough of the genestealers lines. But in the Chapel the creatures came in hordes even bigger and began to surround and press hard the positions of the mariners.

Brother Leon had some troubles to get at the door and couldn't manage to leave it so well armed as the previous ones. The rear of the mariners position was harassed all the time and Chaplain Raziel was killed by the creatures. Brother Claudio, seeing the perilous situation, gave his fearsome heroic charge, throwing death in all directions, but was also his final act as his armor and his guns collapsed, destroying themselves and ending the life of Brother Claudio.

That left only two mariners still in action and, even with the sacrifice of Brother Claudio the Chapel was still overflowed by genestealers. Lexicanium Calistarius ordered Brother Leon to continue with his work on the door and, alone, withstood the attacks of creatures for as long as it was possible - enough for Brother Leon unlock the door and arm the explosives. However, only Brother Leon got through it - the Lexicanium Calistarius, wounded and widely overwhelmed, gave the command for the mission to continue at any cost and to sealed the passage. Brother Leon complied with the order and that was the end of Lexicanium Calistarius and a good deal of genestealers that tried to went through the passage.

After all the sorrow the goal of the mission was near: Brother Leon was in the Toxin Pumping Station, which formerly served to rid the giant Space Hulk of the waste and toxic substances produced the spacecraft and its occupants; but now its scanning systems would be changed as to use the toxins as weapons against the occupation of the genestealers. This only required some time...

Brother Leon started to activate the system but, with the corner of his eye, he saw the genestealers invade the site by the ducts. He was forced to divide his attention between the action of reverse Station program and his defense against the creatures. His aim was evidently blessed and Brother Leon, even though he knew that he would not leave there alive, he was excited by the prospect of causing immense damage to the cursed genestealers - however it was still necessary to complete the reprogram of the system.

But when a claw, capable of piercing the reinforced steel of his armor, penetrated him on the back - a surprise attack from an genestealer that appeared from the floor grid - doubt entered his mind. Faith kept Brother Leon concentrated, and with a few shots with the purpose of frighten and keep the creatures at bay, maybe there was still time. Maybe... But no. Through the hole on the floor others genestealers invaded. Brother Leon was overwhelmed and killed. His hand was still in the control panel, but there wasn't a body attached to it.

The mission failed.

I believe that, until the Chapel, I could win. Brother Claudio was crazy good in his fury: he has a special attack that can kill up to 3 creatures and this was always efficient: he usually killed two or three. The attack of Brother Leon was also excellent.

Sure some of the other mariners had to be sacrificed so that these remained standing, but that's how things are. In addition, twice the event of a Secret Route appeared(placing two markers on the door), which was quite useful.

However, when I was reduced from four to one soldier in the Chapel, I knew that I had almost no chance of winning. But since I was there, I wanted to see how much more I could go. The event of a Second Wind (if you roll a 0 for defense against the genestealers, consider it a successful defense) came and saved the Leon still in the Chapel! I had 3 genestealers at hand and I rolled 0.

So Leon got to the Station and there was 14 genestealers to be faced. It was enough to destroy all! Easy. The room, however, allows, when the control panel is activated, to roll a die and a number of cards equal to the number rolled is removed from any of the blip piles. I activated it and rolled a 5! Excellent! Only 9 to go now.

Three genestealers came with the first event, but the attack by Leon killed two and he was able to defend. Seven to go. A new event brought 4 mor; so there was three in front of Leon and 2 behind. I couldn't use again an attack card. So I activated the panel. I rolled 2 and took out the last two cards of the blip piles. It was then only a matter of dealing with the 5 genestealers alreay around Leon to win. First, however, I had to defend myself: a 4 and a 5! Still alive!

Time to attack: and rolled 3 attacks but killed only 1. Time to defend: rolled 3 for the front, and Leon defended himself. But with a roll of 1, the ones in the back did the job and eliminated Leon.

I was four genestealers away from a win.

I really liked to play Death Angel solo: it was fast (about 40 minutes) and exciting. Certainly I will play more often this way.

And that was it!

Regards,

Note: Sorry for the mistakes in grammar and spelling. I do try. Edit: Image, corrections and to clarify some passages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tiagoVIP wrote:
Lexicanium Calistarius
Chaplain Raziel

You seem to be mixing grey and black teams here… still I don't suppose it makes a difference, if you were using the Lexicanium's cards it doesn't matter who his partner is.
tiagoVIP wrote:
I chose all three duos and right away, when the mission started, I realized I had made a mistake: they all had a card that only is of use if there is a support token on the mariners cards, but none of the other cards gave such tokens to the mariners. That is, instead of 9 useful cards I had actually 7 available. Really smart on my part.

I'm puzzled here... you do know that every Support card gives a token, don't you? In addition to what's written on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nefrubyr wrote:
tiagoVIP wrote:
Lexicanium Calistarius
Chaplain Raziel

You seem to be mixing grey and black teams here… still I don't suppose it makes a difference, if you were using the Lexicanium's cards it doesn't matter who his partner is.

You're indeed correct! These cards are so close in color. Thanks for the heads up, I already put the teams right.

Nefrubyr wrote:
tiagoVIP wrote:

I'm puzzled here... you do know that every Support card gives a token, don't you? In addition to what's written on the card.

I did not know that. It was a major miss when I played the game with others, and now, with the solo mission, I went on what I remember (that I thought it was enough). Also, when I used an Action card, I only applied to one of the Mariners on the team, not both. This is the way to play the game in the Hell Mode!

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.