Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Gjertsen
United States
Trent Woods
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, the theme and mechanics of this game look ridiculously good, but how immersive can it possibly feel when your character is a piece of cardboard? Any ideas where to source some good plastic stand-ins, or should I try to look for a 3D printer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Neri
Italy
Livorno
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Francesco Neri
mbmbmb
you could tell us how more immersive is a game with (grey) miniature instead of (colorful) stand-up...

did you play at dungeon twister ? it's only an example how a game could be interesting for it's mechanic instead of it's component (see zombicide... fantastic miniature inside a poor filler game).

did you see the service given from privateer press about the possibilty to have a character sheet and stand-up with your photo?

I can say more about their decision of do not inlude miniatures (and they are primary miniature publisher)... for example the cost for us, but i think that my examples are sufficient to consider their decision a good decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I can say more about their decision of do not inlude miniatures (and they are primary miniature publisher)... for example the cost for us, but i think that my examples are sufficient to consider their decision a good decision.

Your examples are absolute rot as stated by most people in the original thread regarding LEVEL-7 and its lack of miniatures. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gjertsen
United States
Trent Woods
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeroCool_ITA wrote:
you could tell us how more immersive is a game with (grey) miniature instead of (colorful) stand-up...

Much more immersive.

ZeroCool_ITA wrote:
did you play at dungeon twister ? it's only an example how a game could be interesting for it's mechanic instead of it's component (see zombicide... fantastic miniature inside a poor filler game).

I've not played either of those, but I have played Last Night on Earth. Point well taken. A fantastic miniature set does not by itself make a fantastic game.

ZeroCool_ITA wrote:
did you see the service given from privateer press about the possibilty to have a character sheet and stand-up with your photo?

That sounds pretty cool, but then again, I could do that with my own printer. I'd still rather play with miniatures.

Maybe in the next edition, or an expansion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gjertsen wrote:
Maybe in the next edition, or an expansion...

Or when the line of miniatures inevitably comes out. Just don't be surprised when you have to pay $5-$10 per figure to pimp out your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll say it again. If Z-Man our AEG had put this out, no one would even give a flying fig about bloody minis. I know PP is Mainly a mini game company but that does not mean that every game they produce has to gage minis for it to be good. Let it go.

Really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gjertsen
United States
Trent Woods
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No one would care because Z-Man or AEG would have included figures, so we'd only be talking about how cool this game looks, and not how similar the game components are to games in Hightlights magazine I play with my toddler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John, I'm with you. The lack of minis makes this a no buy for me. Especially when sedition wars is coming this winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gjertsen
United States
Trent Woods
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll probably buy it regardless. The reason I opened the thread wasn't initially to argue about it, but inquire as to whether or not anyone had sourced an alternive. I suppose I could use Carcasonne meeples if I have to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gjertsen wrote:
I'll probably buy it regardless. The reason I opened the thread wasn't initially to argue about it, but inquire as to whether or not anyone had sourced an alternive. I suppose I could use Carcasonne meeples if I have to.

Then really you should have just added to the existing thread, instead of diving right in and making it look like you were the first person to find this game and wonder why there were no miniatures ..

Regardless of how & where people want to argue this though .. LEVEL-7 will lose countless sales due to its lack of including proper 3D models. So yes despite a great premise not everybody can or will be bothered to source some appropriate "make do" miniatures elsewhere ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sidwick wrote:
gjertsen wrote:
Seriously, the theme and mechanics of this game look ridiculously good, but how immersive can it possibly feel when your character is a piece of cardboard?

Very immersive.

I find cardboard when immersed becomes quite soggy and useless actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of relieved it doesn't have minis, as that means I won't be buying it. With minis, it would be an $80 that I might buy. Without minis, it's a $50 that I definitely won't buy.

I will never buy a game with cardboard standees for figures, simple as that. They're cheap and ugly. The price point argument seems specious to me. Just look at Claustrophobia - you got a bunch of awesome prepainted miniatures at a very reasonable price point. Asmodee, FFG, Flying Frog, and many other companies have all found ways to profitably make games with cool plastic minis. I don't know what Privateer Press is thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Connerley
United States
Brightwood
Virginia
flag msg tools
I for one am happy that they aren't including miniatures because it keeps the cost down. If this cost $50 instead of the $36 I paid to preorder it I probably would have passed it up.

I should say that I'm the guy that bought two copies of Incursion and the expansion book but haven't bought the first mini for that game. The standups do just fine. I use cardboard counters (with top down views) of ships to play Man O' War because I'm more interested in playing the game then painting or collecting minis. I'll do the same with Descent. I don't own any first edition titles but have the second edition and the conversion kit. I'm making up counters for the conversion kit; I'm confident my son and I will be perfectly happy with the results.

Your mileage may vary but there are a ton of boardgamers that don't care about minis, they care about gameplay. I would expect to see a thread like this on the miniatures page forum but not here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Neri
Italy
Livorno
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Francesco Neri
mbmbmb
Minis don't made a poor game a better game, and stand-up don't made a good game a poor game.
Minis should be purchased only you like the game and you want to go the next level.... as i made for dungeon twister.

What is the reason of buying a poor game only because there are the minis ?

We all should discourage the publisher from produce poor game purchesed only because inside there is some minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After punching everything and running through the rules, there really isn't a damn thing wrong with the cutouts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i bought minis for letters from whitechapel because i enjoyed it quite a bit and thought wouldn't it be cool to replace the pawns with minis?

But after a few new plays with painted miniatures our group came to the conclusion that the pawns where just way more usable and game friendly, the miniatures looked nice but just where not needed.

lesson learned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you need plastic dolls to keep your attention try a FFG game...yeah lots of chrome and crappy rulebooks. I will pass. Give me a good well thought out stream lined system and paper figures and I am fine.
Hell ten year ago very few games had mins...you people are spoiled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:

Or some of us don't live in the past and simply put up what was acceptable back then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn straight, Moocifer! I was also disappointed to find out the game didn't include actual, living people to play out the roles of the game characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moocifer wrote:
johnnyspys wrote:

Or some of us don't live in the past and simply put up what was acceptable back then.

LOL you need to get a life and stop nerd raging about plastic dolls. Or better yet, you could be really cool and post in every level 7 thread about how terrible it is they don't have minis...oh wait you already have a good start don't you.

Your Cassandra like behavior is apparently an attempt to solve the world's problems and protect the poor BGG members from making the potential purchasing mistake that obviously you only understand...games suck without minis.

Dude leave your moms basement it is starting to rot your brain! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:
moocifer wrote:
johnnyspys wrote:

LOL you need to get a life and stop nerd raging about plastic dolls. Or better yet, you could be really cool and post in every level 7 thread about how terrible it is they don't have minis...oh wait you already have a good start don't you.

Your Cassandra like behavior is apparently an attempt to solve the world's problems and protect the poor BGG members from making the potential purchasing mistake that obviously you only understand...games suck without minis.

Dude leave your moms basement it is starting to rot your brain! zombie

I have to agree entirely.
What happened to imagination? What happened to being able to envision what's happening in the game with out minis. Matt Wilson has said more than once that the reason minis were not initially included was so that "you" could be the patient/prisoner whatever it is. On fact that why they've enabled you to print out a player card with your image.

Have we gotten to the point where we all must have instant gratification and everything spelled out or "molded" out for us?

I guess I should just stop playing all of my games with out minis. I mean how can I play privateer press' I feral contraption without actually being able to build a contraption?

If you can't get past the lack of minis don't play the game. But stop bombing threads with your crying about minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thearkhammonk wrote:

If you can't get past the lack of minis don't play the game. But stop bombing threads with your crying about minis.

1: I'm not crying.
2: Why can't I post what I like and where ?? Who are you to try and dampen my activity and opinion ??

If anybody needs to "get a life" and stop "nerd raging" the recent replies above seem to indicate its "johnnyspys" & "thearkhammonk" who couldn't help themselves from resorting to personal attacks.

Anyway, now that I've seen how small the floor tiles are .. LEVEL-7 has finally gone from a "definitely interested / might purchase" to a "very disappointed / oh well time to move on" for me ..

Oh wait maybe I could just use my imagination and play the game on pencil drawn A4 sheets with a few coins ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
I'm sure it's just me, but I kinda prefer cardboard stand-up pieces to miniatures after playing Gears of War: The Board Game and getting my dudes confused. I never have that problem in Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Neri
Italy
Livorno
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Francesco Neri
mbmbmb
moocifer wrote:
for me...

Finally you have used the magic word "for me". It is what made the difference between a free legit opinion and a unobjective criticism.

P.S. After i read your opinion, your participation to the Level 7 contest is ridiculous, you should show more intellectual honesty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.