Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two piles are supposed to be shuffled and placed face-down on the table (ruins and knights).

Dominion Dark Ages rule book wrote:
Players cannot look through the piles, only at the top card; the players turn the top card over any time it is face down. If a card is returned to one of these piles with Ambassador (from Seaside), turn over the current top card and the returned card goes on top, turned face-up.

How is this any different than having the entire pile face-up? Either way, only the top card is visible, and any previously revealed cards are no longer visible but still known (to those with a good memory).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you accidentally bump the pile you don't see its contents?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:
How is this any different than having the entire pile face-up? Either way, only the top card is visible, and any previously revealed cards are no longer visible but still known (to those with a good memory).

It's not (assuming you don't bump them). In fact, Donald has mentioned that one way to play them is to just turn them face up:

donaldx wrote:
You can't look through the Ruins pile; shuffle, count out the correct number, and then either turn the top one face up, or put the stack face up, depending on whether or not you are good at hiding the cards under the top card.

(here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9773509#9773509)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
mbmbmb
I think in one of Donald's preview articles (Ruins, presumably) he said that while you're supposed to play with them face down, you should feel free to play with them all face up if your group is nimble-fingered enough to keep the piles neat enough so that no one every sees what's beneath the top card. Words to that effect.

Edit: Right, what Simon said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely playing with the pile face down except the top card and would have done so even if the rules said to play them face up. I haven't seen many groups that will maintain the integrity of the stack through the entire game. Now with the stack being so small it might work but even then I wouldn't be surprised to occasionally see an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Dominionaer
msg tools
mbmbmb
You are allowed to count any pile in supply. During count you would see order of knights and ruins and could make decisions based on that order
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hadley

Rapid City
South Dakota
msg tools
mb
in terms of ambassador in multiplayer games, it might mean something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps face down because sometimes people pick up the top card and look at it closer to read it. That's what happens in my group since not everyone is familiar with all of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Barksdale
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rowenc wrote:
Perhaps face down because sometimes people pick up the top card and look at it closer to read it. That's what happens in my group since not everyone is familiar with all of the cards.

This was the reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Dominionaer
msg tools
mbmbmb
With Knights not, because there is always only one. So if you return it to supply with ambassodor, the next one get it, but nobdy else get one.
If you do not return it, then nobdy get one.

With ruins it depends what is on top of supply: if it is not the same it does not matter because only the returned copies get distributed.
If it is the same as you reveal, and you return no copy, then it could be advantage to know, what types the next 1,2,3... ruins are. But that benefit seems not worse trieng to aquire. Moreso when questioned why does one not return ruins with ambassodor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominionaer wrote:
Moreso when questioned why does one not return ruins with ambassodor?

I have friends that use Ambassador with Curse. They choose to keep the Curse because they want to draw it with Ambassador again on another turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.