Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Who, me? 100 posts on VGG??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I received a system awarded microbadge last night for 100 posts on VGG. This came as something of a surprise, since I've never even logged in on VGG. I've checked it out on my contributions page, and as I suspected the basis of the award is wonky. Here's what I see when I click the VGG tab:



The single Forum Reply makes sense - it's on a thread asking about a computer game, and the thread got moved to VGG after I posted. It's there, my post is there, I get it.

The 3 Video Game replies kind of make sense. They are from posts I made on two threads in the Neuroshima Hex forum about the Android and iPad implementations. Seeing that led me to theorize that threads of interest to the VGG side might be tagged for inclusion over there, but that doesn't explain why posts I've made on threads about software versions of other boardgames don't show up.

That theory takes a big hit when I look at the 50 entries under Video Game Developer and the 48 Video Game Publisher. The two lists are identical except for two entries that appear in the Developer list but not in the Publisher list. In case anybody wants to try to figure out why that would be, here are the links to the specific posts (one in the Alderac forum and the other in the Plaid Hat forum):

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9702905#9702905
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8372623#8372623

The 48 links that are on both lists appear in the following publisher forums:

Columbia Games
Eagle Games
Fantasy Flight Games
GMT Games
Victory Point Games

Delving further, I've discovered that when I go back to view my BGG contributions, I see 100 links in the Board Game Publisher list. 50 of those are the ones I see listed as VGG contributions. Interesting that precisely half of the BGG list appears on the VGG list. The additional publishers that are shown in the BGG list but not in the VGG list are as follows:

L2 Design Group
Lock 'N Load Publishing, LLC
Matagot
Mayday Games
Privateer Press
Simmons Games
SPI (Simulations Publications, Inc.)
Rio Grande Games
Z-Man Games

So none of that makes sense to me. It's not like the threads in the VGG list have video game relevance. If that were the idea, why would threads like LEUTHEN is now on sale! or Anyone else notice this peculiar thing with the mounted boards? appear in the VGG list?

I'm convinced there's some bogus logic somewhere in the system award generation. If they figure it out and it results in the removal of my 100 posts on VGG microbadge, I promise I won't make a fuss.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The listed publishers are also video game publishers - hence the crossover.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
The listed publishers are also video game publishers - hence the crossover.

Thanks, Aldie. I guess I don't think of them that way. I guess Columbia had an East Front computer game at one point, and I think VPG has just announced its first two digital titles. Eagle games had a computer version of Age of Imperialism. I know GMT is working on an iPad version of Twilight Imperium.

I think it's safe to say 99% of the output for those companies is non-digital to this point. Does all that show up on VGG? Not that I'm worried about it, mostly just curious.

[edit] Also curious about the 2 threads that show up under Video Game Developers but not under Video Game Publishers. If the two lists were identical, I guess you wouldn't need both, but do Alderac and Plaid Hat publish but not develop in a way that's different from say, GMT?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Aldie wrote:
The listed publishers are also video game publishers - hence the crossover.

Thanks, Aldie. I guess I don't think of them that way. I guess Columbia had an East Front computer game at one point, and I think VPG has just announced its first two digital titles. Eagle games had a computer version of Age of Imperialism. I know GMT is working on an iPad version of Twilight Imperium.

I think it's safe to say 99% of the output for those companies is non-digital to this point. Does all that show up on VGG? Not that I'm worried about it, mostly just curious.

[edit] Also curious about the 2 threads that show up under Video Game Developers but not under Video Game Publishers. If the two lists were identical, I guess you wouldn't need both, but do Alderac and Plaid Hat publish but not develop in a way that's different from say, GMT?


Yes, the Game Forum section on VGG contains a lot of Board Game information. I didn't realize these publishers made video games either.

[EDIT] It's not unusual for video games to have separate developers and publishers, in fact it's quite common.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
It's not unusual for video games to have separate developers and publishers, in fact it's quite common.

That makes sense, but it doesn't appear to be applied consistently. GMT is using outside developers for software implementations, yet they appear on both the Publisher and Developer lists. Columbia certainly doesn't have in house software development, but they are on both lists. I just don't see how Alderac and Plaid Hat differ from Columbia in this regard.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Sphere wrote:
I think it's safe to say 99% of the output for those companies is non-digital to this point. Does all that show up on VGG? Not that I'm worried about it, mostly just curious.


For any publisher to be listed on VGG as a developer or publisher, it must have the videogamedeveloper or videogamepublisher subtype. With one item linked, no matter how small or trivial, the subtype is attached. Material from one *Geek domain doesn't show on other domains, unless you start playing with the URLs, e.g. change "boardgamepublisher" to "rpgpublisher" where relevant.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
For any publisher to be listed on VGG as a developer or publisher, it must have the videogamedeveloper or videogamepublisher subtype. With one item linked, no matter how small or trivial, the subtype is attached. Material from one *Geek domain doesn't show on other domains, unless you start playing with the URLs, e.g. change "boardgamepublisher" to "rpgpublisher" where relevant.

Thanks, Scott, that's good info. So what about the three posts in the Neuroshima Hex folder. What's going on with those?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
frumpish wrote:
It's not unusual for video games to have separate developers and publishers, in fact it's quite common.

That makes sense, but it doesn't appear to be applied consistently. GMT is using outside developers for software implementations, yet they appear on both the Publisher and Developer lists. Columbia certainly doesn't have in house software development, but they are on both lists. I just don't see how Alderac and Plaid Hat differ from Columbia in this regard.


It is not necessarily consistent. There are companies that develop and publish video games, that may collaborate with an outside company to develop a game, or publish a game by an outside developer. Or that may develop and publish another game all in house.

Another problem is that online databases may not even agree with each other as to who the developer is, and the same game may have separate publishers and even developers depending on the region it is released. It can become quite unclear.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
skelebone wrote:
For any publisher to be listed on VGG as a developer or publisher, it must have the videogamedeveloper or videogamepublisher subtype. With one item linked, no matter how small or trivial, the subtype is attached. Material from one *Geek domain doesn't show on other domains, unless you start playing with the URLs, e.g. change "boardgamepublisher" to "rpgpublisher" where relevant.

Thanks, Scott, that's good info. So what about the three posts in the Neuroshima Hex folder. What's going on with those?



you have 3 forum replies to two threads linked to the Video Game Neuroshima Hex!

the threads are
NH and Puzzle on sale for less than price of NH alone (iPad, not boardgame)
Game on Android similar to Neuroshima is free today!

looking at the threads, I assume they may have been posted to the BGG domain and the boardgame entry
and then moved by a admin to the VGG domain and videogame entry

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stargate wrote:
you have 3 forum replies to two threads linked to the Video Game Neuroshima Hex!

the threads are
NH and Puzzle on sale for less than price of NH alone (iPad, not boardgame)
Game on Android similar to Neuroshima is free today!

looking at the threads, I assume they may have been posted to the BGG domain and the boardgame entry
and then moved by a admin to the VGG domain and videogame entry

That makes sense. I guess that what throws me is that the url still says "boardgamegeek" when I click on them. But I just checked the Site Forum thread that has a post from Octavian saying he moved it to VGG:

Looking for the name of an old computer game

... and the url still says "boargamegeek" for it as well. I'm guessing that the names are generated differently than they were when BGG had that geekdo as a domain name a while back (boardguru? something like that), and the domain name appears the same as where you're logged on, with both domains accessing threads from the same database.

Anyway, thanks for all the help everyone. I guess I have a legitimate claim to the 100 posts on VGG. Then again, it does seem to rely on count the 48 posts that show up in both Publisher's and Designer's lists twice. But I'm not going to worry about it any further. Thanks again.

[edit] Remembered the name I was trying to think of: Geekdo. That worked differently, because if you clicked on a Geekdo thread from a link on BGG, you'd see Geekdo in the url and would have to log in separately if you wanted to view the page with your custom profile settings.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
stargate wrote:
you have 3 forum replies to two threads linked to the Video Game Neuroshima Hex!

the threads are
NH and Puzzle on sale for less than price of NH alone (iPad, not boardgame)
Game on Android similar to Neuroshima is free today!

looking at the threads, I assume they may have been posted to the BGG domain and the boardgame entry
and then moved by a admin to the VGG domain and videogame entry

That makes sense. I guess that what throws me is that the url still says "boardgamegeek" when I click on them. But I just checked the Site Forum thread that has a post from Octavian saying he moved it to VGG:

Looking for the name of an old computer game

... and the url still says "boargamegeek" for it as well. I'm guessing that the names are generated differently than they were when BGG had that other alternate domain name a while (boardguru? something like that), and the domain name appears the same as where you're logged on, with both domains accessing threads from the same database.

Anyway, thanks for all the help everyone. I guess I have a legitimate claim to the 100 posts on VGG. Then again, it does seem to rely on count the 48 posts that show up in both Publisher's and Designer's lists twice. But I'm not going to worry about it any further. Thanks again.


no problem and there is education for those who read this thread

for my links, I used [thread=######][/thread]
using that format

if I click a thread link from VGG, I get videogamegeek.com in the URL
http://videogamegeek.com/thread/843368/who-me-100-posts-on-v...

from the RPGG domain, I get rpggeek.com in the URL
http://rpggeek.com/thread/843368/who-me-100-posts-on-vgg

from the BGG domain
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/843368/who-me-100-posts-on-v...


4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So now that you have a first level you can get a free microbadge, check out VGG for that!

And you also know how much boardgames we see pass everytime in our game forums, not to mention Geeklists without videogames... shake
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
So now that you have a first level you can get a free microbadge, check out VGG for that!

The 100 post microbadge was already sent to me - that's what led to me starting this thread.

Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
And you also know how much boardgames we see pass everytime in our game forums, not to mention Geeklists without videogames... shake

I think the ones without videogames that you see there are the same ones that are already cross-posted, so I can see them here. Sorry, I'm really not interested in VGG. I'm a board game guy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Columbia certainly doesn't have in house software development, but they are on both lists. I just don't see how Alderac and Plaid Hat differ from Columbia in this regard.


Well, we have in house developers...

We rarely (if ever in memory) take a design from a designer and publish it as is. Almost every game that comes in goes under intensive in-house development, sometimes resulting in small, and sometimes very large changes to the original design.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AEGTodd wrote:
Well, we have in house developers...

We rarely (if ever in memory) take a design from a designer and publish it as is. Almost every game that comes in goes under intensive in-house development, sometimes resulting in small, and sometimes very large changes to the original design.

Are you talking about in house software developers? Pretty much every game company I mentioned here does in house board game development; certainly the wargame companies do.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
AEGTodd wrote:
Well, we have in house developers...

We rarely (if ever in memory) take a design from a designer and publish it as is. Almost every game that comes in goes under intensive in-house development, sometimes resulting in small, and sometimes very large changes to the original design.

Are you talking about in house software developers? Pretty much every game company I mentioned here does in house board game development; certainly the wargame companies do.


Oh no, I'm sorry I'm confused. I'm talking about board game developers. I tried to follow the conversation. I guess it lost me at one point.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.