Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dominion Online» Forums » General

Subject: Everything About Goko.com Sucks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pojo nono
msg tools
Pricing. Interface. EVERYTHING.

Why Donald? Why?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Schwarzmann
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw that Dominion is FINALLY out. Awesome. And for iPad and web-based...AWESOMER! But it's all in HTML5...meh.

But I can't signup to goko.com Nothing seems to work. Boo.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Jaeppel
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i would like to go see how awful goko is in person, but all i get is a white screen with "service not available"

Which kind of sucks, if it doesnt even work and the website is a blank page. Still vaporware, after all these years.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Grrr
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My attempt to register fails when "server is not available". They will sort it out eventually, but this is what beta's are meant to resolve.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Well, the Dominion forums report that

Quote:

1. Passwords are sent in plain text (so don't do this on public wifi folks)
2. javascript in the chat lobby isn't escaped - so you can execute JS on everyone elses machines
3. the game server doesn't validate messages from the client - so you can do things like play bridges from the supply that you don't own - or just buy colonies without enough money for them.
4. full game state is sent to your client - so you can see whats in your opponents hand


plus they are poisoned by Zynga, have a VP of Monetization... I'm staying the hell away from everything they're doing.
26 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
johnweldy wrote:


WRONG GAME!!!

good luck to donald and y'all dominion addicts!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
3. the game server doesn't validate messages from the client - so you can do things like play bridges from the supply that you don't own - or just buy colonies without enough money for them.

Wow, that's a faithful implementation of the real thing!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, who's got the most weight in this agreement... the publisher, or the designer? I thought it was the former.


jaeppel wrote:
i would like to go see how awful goko is in person, but all i get is a white screen with "service not available"

Which kind of sucks, if it doesnt even work and the website is a blank page. Still vaporware, after all these years.
Ditto... it's like how you're at game night, there are some games on the table (both figuratively and literally), you've never played any of them, but you know they're going to be awful. You might have read reviews, checked out BGG ratings, seen it played, heard from others, or the box/bits just strike you as an awful game. One really should play it just to be completely fair, and sometimes, there are some accidents that are amusing to watch. OTOH, there is merit to steering clear of the whole mess as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Schwarzmann
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't get ANY of Goko's games to work. Clicking on "Single Player" or any of the other buttons does nothing. And I can't register through any of the social networks.

Am I just being an idiot here?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Collins
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pschwar wrote:
Am I just being an idiot here?


No, it's them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pschwar wrote:
I just saw that Dominion is FINALLY out. Awesome. And for iPad and web-based...AWESOMER! But it's all in HTML5...meh.

But I can't signup to goko.com Nothing seems to work. Boo.


Please elaborate on all the bad things about HTML5
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pojo007 wrote:
Pricing. Interface. EVERYTHING.

Why Donald? Why?


The interface is actually nice looking when it works. Would have been awesome to see that front-end backed by isotropic's server code.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
pschwar wrote:
I just saw that Dominion is FINALLY out. Awesome. And for iPad and web-based...AWESOMER! But it's all in HTML5...meh.

But I can't signup to goko.com Nothing seems to work. Boo.


Please elaborate on all the bad things about HTML5



I have nothing against HTML 5. But if you're going to make a board game for iOS, it should be in something more native so it can fully take advantage of the OS.


So far it seems to me that GOKO is an outsider tainting the license. It feels like EA got the dominion license and heard "hugely popular card game? let's program it for every platform and drain the customers wallets via the internet!". The difference is huge between Ascension iOS and what we've heard about Dominion for internet/ipad. The price scheme, the interface, functionality, etc...

And if Playdek had been given the license, we'd already have Dominion in the app store by now, probably with 2 or 3 expansions done and likely with an Android version on the way. Oh yeah, and it would be good and well priced. Free for cheap for base game and $2 to $5 per expansion, tops.


But! I'm still trying to reserve judgement until it's actually out in the app store.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And further:

Everything about Dominion the card game has been so well thought out... until now. This goko thing could be extremely painful.


And yet still, I'm trying to be patient. Still hoping that Goko doesn't end up being the worst thing for digital board games ever...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
And further:

Everything about Dominion the card game has been so well thought out... until now. This goko thing could be extremely painful.


I'm late to the dominion universe (played first game over Christmas holiday) but I like the product so much I now buy it for clients as a thank you gift when they buy a new home with me (I'm a REALTOR).

The way this whole Goko launch has gone has left a sour taste in my mouth. It's like we got to see a behind the scenes look at Disneyland and things don't look as pretty behind the curtain.

I really hope Jay has things under control as these rol louts that go sideways really can plants some seeds that are hard to un-plant later.

Best of luck to everyone who is working on this, but I'm not encouraged by any of it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
but I like the product so much I now buy it for clients as a thank you gift when they buy a new home with me (I'm a REALTOR).

That's cool!

isellsunshine wrote:
It's like we got to see a behind the scenes look at Disneyland and things don't look as pretty behind the curtain.

"Yeah, but, John, if The Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
monteslu wrote:
pschwar wrote:
I just saw that Dominion is FINALLY out. Awesome. And for iPad and web-based...AWESOMER! But it's all in HTML5...meh.

But I can't signup to goko.com Nothing seems to work. Boo.


Please elaborate on all the bad things about HTML5



I have nothing against HTML 5. But if you're going to make a board game for iOS, it should be in something more native so it can fully take advantage of the OS.


Why?
They're not making a 3d first person shooter. Boardgames are mostly static, with the animation used for UI cues, such as where cards were placed. They don't need low-level OS functionality.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
Neo42 wrote:
monteslu wrote:
pschwar wrote:
I just saw that Dominion is FINALLY out. Awesome. And for iPad and web-based...AWESOMER! But it's all in HTML5...meh.

But I can't signup to goko.com Nothing seems to work. Boo.


Please elaborate on all the bad things about HTML5



I have nothing against HTML 5. But if you're going to make a board game for iOS, it should be in something more native so it can fully take advantage of the OS.


Why?
They're not making a 3d first person shooter. Boardgames are mostly static, with the animation used for UI cues, such as where cards were placed. They don't need low-level OS functionality.


Have you tried Goko's Dominion on an iPad3 on a pretty decent wifi connection ? It is certainly playable, but way too slow (even on the fastest setting) It is unplayable on a 3G connection.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
teg2 wrote:
monteslu wrote:
Neo42 wrote:
monteslu wrote:
pschwar wrote:
I just saw that Dominion is FINALLY out. Awesome. And for iPad and web-based...AWESOMER! But it's all in HTML5...meh.

But I can't signup to goko.com Nothing seems to work. Boo.


Please elaborate on all the bad things about HTML5



I have nothing against HTML 5. But if you're going to make a board game for iOS, it should be in something more native so it can fully take advantage of the OS.


Why?
They're not making a 3d first person shooter. Boardgames are mostly static, with the animation used for UI cues, such as where cards were placed. They don't need low-level OS functionality.


Have you tried Goko's Dominion on an iPad3 on a pretty decent wifi connection ? It is certainly playable, but way too slow (even on the fastest setting) It is unplayable on a 3G connection.


Works fine on my Nexus 7. For a little while. There's memory leaks. That's bugs in goko's code, not bugs in Chrome for Android or Mobile safari for iOS.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
Switzerland
Leysin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goko remains totally broken...the system has lost my account after two days and won't recognize my email address...what rubbish!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Dominion Online
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ptdnet wrote:
monteslu wrote:
Please elaborate on all the bad things about HTML5


It sucks. Also, it's lame.


Sweet. Good to know. And here I was thinking it was just the evolution of the same APIs and protocols that we were using to make posts to boardgamegeek.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
ptdnet wrote:
monteslu wrote:
Please elaborate on all the bad things about HTML5


It sucks. Also, it's lame.


Sweet. Good to know. And here I was thinking it was just the evolution of the same APIs and protocols that we were using to make posts to boardgamegeek.


An API that supports making posts to a forum is not necessarily well suited to support the requirements needed here, not even an "evolved" API.

It is clear that you support HTML5 in every opportunity this comes up as a potential reason for GOKO's failure with Dominion, no problem with that of course. I'm curious though, other that GOKO's poor example, do you have a good example where HTML5 shines for the kind of thing we are interested here ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
teg2 wrote:
monteslu wrote:
ptdnet wrote:
monteslu wrote:
Please elaborate on all the bad things about HTML5


It sucks. Also, it's lame.


Sweet. Good to know. And here I was thinking it was just the evolution of the same APIs and protocols that we were using to make posts to boardgamegeek.


An API that supports making posts to a forum is not necessarily well suited to support the requirements needed here, not even an "evolved" API.

It is clear that you support HTML5 in every opportunity this comes up as a potential reason for GOKO's failure with Dominion, no problem with that of course. I'm curious though, other that GOKO's poor example, do you have a good example where HTML5 shines for the kind of thing we are interested here ?


Most of the web based boardgaming we've been playing for a long time are good examples. Things like yucata and isotropic. Turned-based boardgaming sites can only benefit from making use of newer APIs. They could do things to augment their current implementations like using websockets for server push. Simplify their rendering from DOM elements to Canvas. Use webaudio so they don't have to rely on plugins to tell you its your turn when you're waiting.

Products like Bikeshed are already replacing the flash in flash-flashed gaming sites and apps on facebook.

The Angry Birds HTML5 implementation was released 18 months ago and has over 10 million users in the chrome store. It already successfully made use of most of the same APIs that goko is trying to use. GRITS uses the same tech, but also scales out to real time multiplayer.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.webmonkey.com/2011/05/angry-birds-attack-web/

Quote:
Behind the scenes, the web incarnation of Angry Birds is powered primarily by HTML5. However, if you happen to have ditched Flash, you’ll notice that Angry Birds on the web won’t work.

What’s interesting is that the offending code appears to use gwt-voices, a cross-browser audio shim from Google. In theory gwt-voice only falls back to Flash when needed, but using the Aurora release of Firefox brings up a “You need to install Flash Player” message for Angry Birds (most likely because Firefox does not ship with mp3 support).

Calling Angry Birds an HTML5 app, is, in that regard, somewhat of a stretch.

Still, the primary rendering and logic of the game does use HTML5 elements like canvas, and HTML5 APIs like localStorage. The latter is interesting because it makes Angry Birds on the web hackable.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.