California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had this game on my shelf for about 5 years and still hasn't been played. Originally I couldn't get it to the table because I couldn't figure out the rules! This game is the first manual I actually gave up on after spending hours and hours trying to decipher the rulebook. And I've had some tough ones such as the Gen-X manuals that can be difficult. But this one wins hands down in the confusion factor!

Fortunately a brave soul wrote an entirely new manual and now it makes sense. After a couple readthroughs I got the basics and looks like a great game. Thanks James Allen for the wonderful manual and updated Rip Track.

Recently I've started to critically look over my game collection and start culling those games I don't want. This one always stays just becuase there's something about it that I really love. It's probably the cyberpunk theme. Very few of those games out there. And it's a Talisman clone in a cyberpunk theme, how cool is that?

I wanted to make this as easy to play as possible so spent the past few evenings designing character ref cards. My primary reason was to keep the turn order easily accessible but then I decided to add stat trackers and list other useful info.

As you can see the graphic design is very simple to go with the game's simple design. Years ago I made new small character standees to replace those hulking huge ones so found a use for the old ones as portraits on the cards.

Hopefully will finally get this to the table. I hope it's as fun as it looks now that I understand how it works. I'm a little concerned that rip attempts could take a long time so trying to figure out the best way to speed those up. Crossing my fingers we get this played! I recently got Heroes Incorporated played after 5 years on my shelf, so there's hope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please bring this to the con, Scott. I'd really like to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
Please bring this to the con, Scott. I'd really like to play it.

Will do, thanks! I'd like to try it 2 & 3 player first just to get the hang of it. Maybe we can do a practice game Friday night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
I've had this game on my shelf for about 5 years and still hasn't been played.

Same here. Mine is still unpunched. I am also embarrassed at being defeated by this rulebook. It doesn't help that ICE is a good thing for the rippers. I haven't decided whether this is worth trying, tweaking, or trading off and making my own similar game.

Who am I kidding? How can I trade that totally rad box? And how could I consider having a worthy cyberpunk collection without it?

So, you apparently posted these character cards while I was on vacation, and I am only noticing them now. Have you gotten a chance to play it a couple times yet? Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryP wrote:
ScottE wrote:
I've had this game on my shelf for about 5 years and still hasn't been played.

Same here. Mine is still unpunched. I am also embarrassed at being defeated by this rulebook. It doesn't help that ICE is a good thing for the rippers. I haven't decided whether this is worth trying, tweaking, or trading off and making my own similar game.

Who am I kidding? How can I trade that totally rad box? And how could I consider having a worthy cyberpunk collection without it?

So, you apparently posted these character cards while I was on vacation, and I am only noticing them now. Have you gotten a chance to play it a couple times yet? Thoughts?

Yes, we did get to finally play it. Sadly, it didn't go well. I wrote up more detailed info in my blog about the first play which you can read here- Eclipse pimping, Edge City disappointment, & Kickstarter Project Eternity.

It's a great theme and I want to love the game, but it has a huge luck factor. Chris and I had terrible luck on our first few rip attempts while Tom got some good rolls. Once he got ahead of us in money he was able to buy advancement and win pretty easily. I think being able to buy your way to a win isn't a great idea since it makes those lucky early rip rolls way too powerful.

I think there's a good game in there but needs some more design love to work out the problems. I'm going to keep it since it's got that neat box and wonderful theme. Maybe someday I'll figure out a way to make it work better. I spent all that time on pimping it so would like to find a way to make it work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These cards are pretty sweet. Definitely help players keep track of the tons of little details in this game.

That said - they continue with the flawed Turn Order sequence that I am convinced is why people believe this game is flawed. The Flowchart is the key to this games' turn order.

Players have very little choice over what actions they can take in a turn. The major choice is where or when to move their Ripper. This action then dictates what else they may attempt that turn.

The mandatory travel option is based upon a misconception of the rules. It circumvents one of the major barriers to attempting a Rip every turn and dumps two important die roll modifiers that accumulate for not moving.

Trade Tech with other players only occurs at the end of the Round - after all players have had their turns, not at the end of each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
These cards are pretty sweet. Definitely help players keep track of the tons of little details in this game.

That said - they continue with the flawed Turn Order sequence that I am convinced is why people believe this game is flawed. The Flowchart is the key to this games' turn order.

Players have very little choice over what actions they can take in a turn. The major choice is where or when to move their Ripper. This action then dictates what else they may attempt that turn.

The mandatory travel option is based upon a misconception of the rules. It circumvents one of the major barriers to attempting a Rip every turn and dumps two important die roll modifiers that accumulate for not moving.

Trade Tech with other players only occurs at the end of the Round - after all players have had their turns, not at the end of each turn.

Thanks for the info! I based it on the revised rulebook in the file section. I completely ignored the original manual.

In our one play the game seemed to be decided by who won rip attempts first and therefore got more money to upgrade their level. Two of us had bad luck, one of us had good luck, so he won easily. So if we were playing completely wrong that might explain why the game seemed flawed to us. But the original manual is such a hard thing to read and very confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An important factor in controlling "runaway leaders" is conducting SWAT combat against them with another Ripper to destroy or take their important and powerful gear.

Also ICE combat allows you to take away their Software and to actually decrease their Status level. If they do not have the DP to pay for losses then they must trade in Status levels to gain 8DP back in order to cover the DP they lose.

Rippers get less DP for defeating easier Rips as they get more Status. They must risk more and more on harder Rips, and move to Research or Business Domes if they do not have the patron/ally cards which allow these harder Rips from a Sprawl Zone.

This makes it simple to confront them in SWAT combat since you know where they have to move.

It is easy for a few players to stop a leader with overwhelming advantages.

Remember that you also gain DPs for defeating Sprawl card combats equal to the rating printed on the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Zelych
msg tools
Good advice, John. It sounds like you understand the game strategy and design I'd intended. Thanks for helping to explain it to others!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.