United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
You remember those books you had as kids where you would read a story and it would give you choices? To go right turn to 32, to go left, go to 121. Things like that. I am most inspired by the old The Fantasy Trip Microquests, and I'd like to make something similar. I was wondering if there was free program that would allow me to me to put in a bunch of texts and link them together. Then the program will scramble the numbers randomly. Then it would assemble them so I could print them out in a booklet or something like that. Does anyone know of something like this? Even if I have to pay for it, I still might consider it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite what you were asking for but you can make this kind of text adventure as a series of website pages (for use on or offline) with clickable (hyper) links to the different pages/choices. This can be done easily using Word (which you may already have) saving the docs as webpages. No need then to scramble the pages as you won't see what's coming before you choose your option.

This wouldn't be much help if you wanted to print it out - but would you need to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added one of these to my first homepage back in 93 or so. It was simply a choose, click answer, the page would load the page back up, but it would show the new page location. Nowadays I bet frames would make this more enjoyable. Or better yet, having something other than a 1200 baud modem would make things "seem" to flip to the new page faster. Add in some div's and a little javascript, CSS to make stuff not show, and voila! pretty easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if it's exactly what you're after, but look up a program called Inform. It's designed for making text adventures, but there are several add-ons for choose your own adventure type games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.