Thumb up my stuff.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going alone on an epic vacation next April: Istanbul Turkey to Almaty Kazakhstan overland (passing through Armenia, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and Finally Kazakhstan).

I want to make a game pouch with multiple games that share pieces (Checkers and Backgammon can use the same pieces for example). I will have a few multi-day train rides so I want to bring games I can play with strangers. I need help getting it all together though. here is what I am thinking...

1) Weight and Size is a factor. I'll be gone for over a month, maybe two so I can not carry around large boxes nor heavy games. Same goes for games pieces. The more light weight the better. All game boards will be screen printed by hand onto silk or handkerchiefs -- that way they serve a dual purpose. I can wipe my brow and play a game on it. When I am done it takes up little space and weighs next to nothing.

2) Games must be simple enough that I can explain them with very little English and body movements.

3) The more pieces (including boards) that are reused the better.

Here is what I got so far...

Game breakdown: Checkers, Chess, Proteus, Sorry*, Uno, Ludo, Backgammon, Yut Nori.

Checkers: Played the world over so I will not need to explain it. Can use the board for multiple games. Use the pieces for multiple games.

Chess: Will use proteus chess dice for pieces. Many of the same pros as checkers.

Proteus: Could be fun.

Sorry: Will use Uno cards to move. Will use the same board as Ludo, specially designed by me.

Uno: Easy to explain. Allows me to bring along Sorry. Need to find more games that can use the cards and/or mini sorry cards.

Ludo: Similar to sorry but different enough that it is still a different game.

Backgammon: Common the world over. Same peaces (other than board) as checkers. Need to find more games that can use the same board.

Yut Nori: Because Kazakhstan has a large ethnic Korean population.
-----
Pieces:

15 white wooden pieces - Checkers, sorry, ludo, backgammon,Yut Nori

15 Black wooden pieces - Checkers, sorry, ludo, backgammon, yut nori

4 Red wood pieces - Sorry, ludo, Yut Nori

4 Blue wood pieces - sorry ludo, yut nori

2 six sided dice - ludo, backgammon

16 black chess dice - chess, proteus

16 white chess dice - chess, proteus

4 yut sticks - yut nori (any one know another game that uses these? - if not i might use 1d6 instead)

1 doubling cube - backgammon

what do you think? what games should I add? Any feed back would be helpful.

thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many a pack of 1000 Blank White Cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow Deck
Decktet

Edit: On second thought, those might be too complex for your purposes. But it's worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Razo
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mancala
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, as Lee said, you should bring a deck of cards, and I'm willing to bet that that alone could keep you occupied. You're passing through several different countries and regions, and everywhere people play different card games with a fairly standard deck of cards.

You could bring all those along, but I think something else here would be making sure you take advantage of the opportunities to learn new games and variations of games yourself from others you will visit. Card games develop in amazing ways in different parts of the world, and you will probably be surprised what you get to learn from people there.

You may find them much more willing to teach you their game than to sit down and play some strange game you've brought along, anyway.

That being said, I respect this a lot, and wish you the best of luck! I hope you have a great time!

All best,

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gadi Oron
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

You can play No Thanks! with a deck of 6 nimmt! and some tokens.

Both games are immediate hits with casual gamers and can be comfortably played in a train.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't Stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, might be easier to use larger pieces of fabric printed with four game boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumb up my stuff.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Houston wrote:
Also, might be easier to use larger pieces of fabric printed with four game boards.

This is a great Idea!

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas also. It will take me a while to get through them all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Sam Houston wrote:

THIS IS A GOOD IDEA.

Someone should design this & load it on Spoonflower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumb up my stuff.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whats is spoon flower?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
releasethedogs wrote:
whats is spoon flower?

A print-your-own fabric place. The colors are good & I haven't had any experience with running or fading.

http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan-Willem van Leeuwen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use a chess set to play Arimaa. It seems you've already decided to bring a chess set, so all you have to do is learn the game, which is relatively easy (it's designed to be understandable for kids).
Great travelling plan, by the way! Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Turner
United States
Bexley
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend quarto, it is a great two player game, and you could use paper to configure different pieces. cut eight pieces of dark paper and eight pieces of light. cut four of each round, four of each square. punch holes in four of each, and lastly, make a mark to indicate tall or short. maybe an X on the corner. This game would be the wieght of paper. You could use a 4X 4 corner of the checkers board to play.

This game takes more thought than checkers, and a little less than chess, but plays in about 15 minutes. I think this is a great bar game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Othello? (Reversi)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the Icehouse Pieces ?

Many many many games with them.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumb up my stuff.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paulidale wrote:
How about the Icehouse Pieces? Many many many games with them.
- Pauli

too pointed and too brittle. Odd shape. Really like a few games played with them... need to figure out how to convert them to use what I have.

DigitalMan wrote:
Othello? (Reversi)

just added today!!! Thanks for your recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have Othello, you can also play Konane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at nestorgames. Almost all their games fit your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Scott
United States
California
flag msg tools
paulidale wrote:

- Pauli

They're also called IceDice and and I agree that they're a lot of games you can play with them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumb up my stuff.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erniepaul wrote:
If you have Othello, you can also play Konane.

Awesome! Thanks for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumb up my stuff.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:
Have a look at nestorgames. Almost all their games fit your criteria.

Sweet, im off to work now but I will give it a look this weekend. thanks for the tip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumb up my stuff.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShastaHawk wrote:
paulidale wrote:

- Pauli

They're also called IceDice and and I agree that they're a lot of games you can play with them

Like I said before, I thought long and hard about icehouse pieces. In the end i decided that because they have a sharp point on them i can not bring them along. A few (actually all) of the places i am going have police that are anywhere from mildly to majorly corrupt. I don't want to be caught with anything that could be in anyway thought of as a weapon. I wish I could but i can not bring icehouse pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Scott
United States
California
flag msg tools
releasethedogs wrote:
ShastaHawk wrote:
paulidale wrote:

- Pauli

Like I said before, I thought long and hard about icehouse pieces. In the end i decided that because they have a sharp point on them i can not bring them along. A few (actually all) of the places i am going have police that are anywhere from mildly to majorly corrupt. I don't want to be caught with anything that could be in anyway thought of as a weapon. I wish I could but i can not bring icehouse pieces.

I can see where you're coming from. I would hate to be punched by someone holding one or two of the bigger ones in their hand just right. Hell, I stepped on one last week and it was very painful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may be interested in the things made by Nestorgames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.