Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious if anyone has played them compare/contrast them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres

Miami
Florida
msg tools
You can find a lot of info in places like this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/827269/an-honest-view-fr...

Or the Dice Tower review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6BVRP3iNCI&feature=youtube_g...

Here is a general search that I used to find those:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/spsearch.php?objectid=101721&ob...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SW gives more options(16 summoners that will be doubling to 32, # of cards you can play) with less freedom(less deck customization, restricted card play) within those options. MW has less options(4 mages and growing, play only two cards) but more freedom(endless deck building, play whatever two cards you want) within those options. SW is easier to pick up, but MW has deeper potential due to the deck building. MW plays longer and will be more prone to AP since you can play any two cards. SW will have wider swings in terms of play due to playing up to 5 cards as where MW should be fairly consistent since you only play 2. MW is more fiddly than it should be(IMO), spell book, action counter or whatever those things are you put on your cards. Think of SW as card game version of Heroscape. MW is more like Magic with a game board. Ultimately, it really comes down to how you feel about deck building. If that's a big plus for you, then MW will likely will out. If not, SW is the better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Grosskarlbach
Rhineland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
Phirax's Magical Box of Hot
badge
Keats and Yeats are on your side, but you lose... because Wilde is on mine.
mb
Also... and I can't believe nobody mentioned this, one game has mages and the other has summoners. Depending on how you feel about the obvious differences such as tomes v. talismans, your position on elemental v. eldritch magic and of course which hat type you prefer, your decision should be pretty obvious. Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
SW gives more options(16 summoners that will be doubling to 32, # of cards you can play) with less freedom(less deck customization, restricted card play) within those options. MW has less options(4 mages and growing, play only two cards) but more freedom(endless deck building, play whatever two cards you want) within those options. SW is easier to pick up, but MW has deeper potential due to the deck building. MW plays longer and will be more prone to AP since you can play any two cards. SW will have wider swings in terms of play due to playing up to 5 cards as where MW should be fairly consistent since you only play 2. MW is more fiddly than it should be(IMO), spell book, action counter or whatever those things are you put on your cards. Think of SW as card game version of Heroscape. MW is more like Magic with a game board. Ultimately, it really comes down to how you feel about deck building. If that's a big plus for you, then MW will likely will out. If not, SW is the better game.

very good description however i would also add SW is a game primarily about resource management. you have to really watch your magic pile whoever manages it better usually wins.

MW is really a game about card interactions and taking advantage of the way they react to eachother.

yes MW has resource management, and SW has card interaction, but the game focus is different for each game. i love MW and SW and while MW really will replace magic for me (magic is also a game of card interactions) MW is not going to replace SW for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.