Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Game Trading Philosophies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering what all kind of personal rules different guys have in their approach to trading games through BGG? Mine are sort of-

1] I always reply if someone offers a trade or makes an inquiry. Even if only to say no thanks. I may make a counter offer.

2] Shipping I figure is quid pro quo. we each pay our own shipping to the other guy. Exception: I know the game he is shipping is heavy and the one I am shipping is light. I may offer to throw a five in my box to him to help defray his greater expense.

3] I got something he wants but he does not have anything I want. No problem I suggest a game he can buy for me and have shipped to my address.
This especially if his profile says he is willing to buy the game I have. I'd rather get a game in the mail for my game than cash most of the time.

4] I don't mind if I'm giving a little greater value than I am getting. If I am offering lesser value I offer to make up the difference in cash.

5] An area I need to make an improvement on is that I am impatient. If contacting cold with a trade proposal I only leave the trade open for 3 days. Because i do not want to feel like I'm pinned down on an offer for a longer time. What I need to do here is either make query's rather than offers or make it clear in the offer note that he is free to respond later if i still have the game and that I might be open to a counter proposal.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Same. No difference.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Yup. Sounds exactly like me.

I find it incredibly irritating when valued members don't bother replying to trade offers. Say yes, say no, but say something.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
superflat wrote:
Yep. Same. No difference.


Glad to know at least one person does not think I am out of the loop
moly19 wrote:
Yup. Sounds exactly like me.

I find it incredibly irritating when valued members don't bother replying to trade offers. Say yes, say no, but say something.


Yeah that's my main thing too. When I say No thanks to a trade I generally give some kind of reason if only "just not ready to trade this game for that game." It might be a border line as to whether I really want to trade it or not, unless I get the right deal. Or it might be that a lot of guys want a particular so i want to be careful what I wind up doing with it.

'nother thing is lots of guys have games up for trade that they post no condition for. In fact I think it is the norm rather than the exception to not post the condition of a game. OTOH I have several punched games up that I state "I will count the units if somebody is interested in trading." I just don't dig counting units I need an incentive.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
superflat wrote:
Yep. Same. No difference.


Glad to know at least one person does not think I am out of the loop
moly19 wrote:
Yup. Sounds exactly like me.

I find it incredibly irritating when valued members don't bother replying to trade offers. Say yes, say no, but say something.


Yeah that's my main thing too. When I say No thanks to a trade I generally give some kind of reason if only "just not ready to trade this game for that game." It might be a border line as to whether I really want to trade it or not, unless I get the right deal. Or it might be that a lot of guys want a particular so i want to be careful what I wind up doing with it.

'nother thing is lots of guys have games up for trade that they post no condition for. In fact I think it is the norm rather than the exception to not post the condition of a game. OTOH I have several punched games up that I state "I will count the units if somebody is interested in trading." I just don't dig counting units I need an incentive.

ditto.
Except I'm not a valued member just a greedy game hungry whore...ooops did I say that out loud?
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
Avatar
mb
I just don't do it. No way I could abandon my loved ones to a stranger.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
(1) I always reply. It's just polite. It's like the old adage of treat the other person like a gentleman even if they aren't but because you are.

(2) We each pay our own freight although I would be willing to chip in on the other person's if the package was heavy.

(3) Can work if the game you are trading is out of print.

(4) I still recall the person who berated me about how unfair my trade offer was because online the game I was offering was $1.50 less than the one I was asking for in trade.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:

(4) I still recall the person who berated me about how unfair my trade offer was because online the game I was offering was $1.50 less than the one I was asking for in trade.


Ouch!!!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
(4) I still recall the person who berated me about how unfair my trade offer was because online the game I was offering was $1.50 less than the one I was asking for in trade.

Clearly you must adjust the offer immediately. Offer to send them a cookie as well.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
Avatar
mb
I wish there were a safe mechanism for loaning and borrowing games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
I wish there were a safe mechanism for loaning and borrowing games.


The main problem would seem to be trust. But we are already trusting the other guy when we trade. Making the next problem expense it costs around 11.00 to ship most games. So by the time you send and return you're out 22.00. I guess you could kind of look at trading as borrowing if you plan to trade off games when you are finished playing them. You're just not always getting the same game back that you originally lent the first time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
Avatar
mb
Yes, trust is the leap that has to be made, though it is easier to do with some games than others.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
Yes, trust is the leap that has to be made, though it is easier to do with some games than others.


Though I have been described as "Suspicious and hostile." I find that life is generally happier if I make the assumption that most people are going to be honest most of the time. That of course does not mean that I surrender the right to get fried when I'm burned or seek vengeance
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Torgoose
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
well how stupid, i didnt even think that instead of trading one of my games (not many but that will change!) you could buy a game for the other person. I might start sending some geekmails now!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:

(4) I still recall the person who berated me about how unfair my trade offer was because online the game I was offering was $1.50 less than the one I was asking for in trade.


What did you say to that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do any of you guys have a magic number at which you insure the package? I figure I can shoot the dice up to about $60.00 value and come out ahead in the end. I once did a mail order business and out of hundreds of packages sent. UPS dropped the ball once (and refused to pay even though the package was insured). USPS dropped the ball once and did pay out on an insured package. One uninsured package got lost out of all the ones I've sent. So so strangely (or maybe not)inuring a package seems to enhance the chances that it will get disappeared!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
I've made numerous trades on BGG without a problem. I find the biggest aggravation has ben when I have tried to trade for a game that is hard to find. For example, I have offered four different traders a ton of stuff that was on their want list for their copy of Antiquity and have been refused every time. I mean, we are talking about easily $300 worth of games on their want list and I'll get a response like "It's a fair trade but it isn't what I'm looking for" or "In dollar value, it seems like a good deal but my game is so much harder to find than a bunch of games that I can order online". That is when I get frustrated. gulp


I feel your pain! What is worse is when you make the great offer and don't even get a reply!! Though I can see the point of "I want to get a White Whale for my White Whale."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
moly19 wrote:
...I find it incredibly irritating when valued members don't bother replying to trade offers....
They may be valued for something other than trading.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Novak
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:

5] An area I need to make an improvement on is that I am impatient. If contacting cold with a trade proposal I only leave the trade open for 3 days. Because i do not want to feel like I'm pinned down on an offer for a longer time. What I need to do here is either make query's rather than offers or make it clear in the offer note that he is free to respond later if i still have the game and that I might be open to a counter proposal.


I used to cold call with trade solicitations too, but now I write a short email to gauge interest first - if the response is positive, we proceed to initiate the trade process on BGG.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
big_m0dem wrote:
...I write a short email to gauge interest first - if the response is positive, we proceed to initiate the trade process on BGG.
Same here. I put "Trade Scout" in the subject line. This has increased the response rate to near 100%.

Of course, I don't scout anyone twice who didn't respond earlier, so that helps the percentage, too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My only rule is try to reply to all trade requests with a reason, not just a Decline.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just realized I'm a compulsive trader I just sent an offer including a game i don't even want to even it up! Its like I'm viewing potential trades as something i must do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not so much a philosphy but more the way it evolved.

1) I'd rather take a loss on a trade - trading down - than sell it for a lower price. Though not logical, in the latter case it feels like I'm losing money, while not in the first - as I get a new game as well.

2) Shipping is a hassle - I very much prefer trading at conventions or even take my car and drive up to the guy I'm trading with - only locally of course. I'm not alone in this as I've had a guy drive to my place a couple of times as well

3) When I look for a game I also look at gamers who don't have it on their "for trade" list but who rate the game a "1" or "2" - they should be willing to sell the game if you make them a good offer .. or so you'd think - people are weird sometimes - but persistence paid off in a couple of occasions so it's still a viable way to get a game you really want.

4) I also trade with people in my extended game-group - some advise against this as it can lead to tensions, but that's not a problem for me

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:


3) When I look for a game I also look at gamers who don't have it on their "for trade" list but who rate the game a "1" or "2" - they should be willing to sell the game if you make them a good offer .. or so you'd think - people are weird sometimes - but persistence paid off in a couple of occasions so it's still a viable way to get a game you really want.



That's clever (of course Now I got to go see who hated Infantry Attacks: August 1914.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:

That's clever (of course Now I got to go see who hated Infantry Attacks: August 1914.)


A couple of "5" and "6" ratings ... I'd send those a quick geekmail
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.