Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett David Spain
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely Bonkers. But I will tell you a secret, All the best people are.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to stop by the Ares booth at GenCon and speak with Roberto about the first expansion. He had a copy of the game at the booth but it was not available for purchase. He did not commit to a release date.

He did mention that were will be at least two expansions. The second will include things like the Ents and Corsairs, but the siege engines may not be included. He made it sound as if another mechanic will address sieges.

He also had on display the promo-piece for the game -- a Treebeard figure with his larger 2nd edition card. The figure is identical to the one found in Battles of the Third Age. He said the piece could be acquired through pre-ordering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Did he mention Shelob?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
So Treebeard figure is optional... kinda like Gollum/Smeagol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett David Spain
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely Bonkers. But I will tell you a secret, All the best people are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, he did -- after I asked him

I asked if Shelob might be a character in the second expansion. He did not confirm whether she would be included, but he also did not say she would be excluded. I also asked about Eowyn and Eomir. Again, he nodded, smiled, and did not commit. My sense was that the second expansion is not finalized at the moment. Based on the feedback from the first expansion, things may change. He did say he wants to include other characters from the novels, both Shadow and Free Peoples.

Roberto did comment on the Rohan and Gondor games found in BotTA. He said he felt that they may have been "lost" in the original BotTA expansion. He indicated that they would be released, in some fashion, as standalone products and not as an expansion to WotR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
please someone keep us posted when to preorder so we can get it, thanks

and thanks for posting the info too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the design of the box, does it look like there will be 3 expansions that will fit into the exact same space as the base edition?

I am thinking that there will be a triple box version the same size as the base game, released with the third expansion (assuming that's how it ends up).

I have not seen them side-by-side though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
He also said Treebeard would be available through BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Christgau
United States
Joelton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:

That's what he said to me too. He actually didn't mention pre-order, only the BGG promo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Foxwell
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:

I read something that stated Treebeard could summon the Ents to war. What units will be used to represent the Ents?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Bustos
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesJart wrote:
From the design of the box, does it look like there will be 3 expansions that will fit into the exact same space as the base edition?

From Ares Games web site:

War of the Ring - Second Edition
Box Size: 40 x 27 x 8.5 cm

Lords of Middle Earth
Box Size: 14 x 27.5 x 4.5 cm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Bustos
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neolarthytep wrote:
I read something that stated Treebeard could summon the Ents to war. What units will be used to represent the Ents?

I guess that ability will be 'locked' until second expansion, where Ents are coming. I don't know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.