Popular Tags: [View All]
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm commanding the Prussian army, alongside the British, against the French, in Belgium...
What kind of Beer should I be drinking??

This is important, it's going to happen in an epic birthday battle just a couple of weeks and 300 miles away.

By the way, anybody want a chance at a free game?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/840262/game-giveaway-the...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Berliner Weisse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Reynolds
Georgia
Brezhnevograd
Former Upper Caucasus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rgordon44 wrote:

I heard an Australian mimic the commercial by going, "Fosters. Australian for crappy beer." I assume it has to be the Bud of Australian beers and well, gulp if that's the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Rochefort 10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
I heard an Australian mimic the commercial by going, "Fosters. Australian for crappy beer." I assume it has to be the Bud of Australian beers and well, gulp if that's the case.

Fosters is terrible: many would argue it is Australia's worst beer. (IMO it is better than Budweiser, but that isn't saying much).

There's a reason we export the muck. No-one here drinks it.

Victoria Bitter (from the same brewery) is much superior and outsells Fosters by 10:1. There are dozens of small and regional breweries in Australia, and it is difficult to nominate any brand inferior to Fosters. Seriously. Don't. It's bad.

Back to the OP: drink Harp. There are bound to have been some Irish mercenaries somewhere in the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
matthean wrote:

I've never actually seen an aussie in Australia drink fosters. It is always interesting when i'm overseas and see commercials promoting it as Australia's beer. People here simply don't drink it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueMountain wrote:
I've never actually seen an aussie in Australia drink fosters.

They have on tap at the Hilton in Melbourne. I've seen people order it because everything else had a hyperinflated Hilton price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch Jones
England
Telford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fosters is by far the world's worst beer. World's best - Tyskie, closely followed by nastro azzuro peroni (Cobra if consumed with a hot curry).

Therefore, for you evening I'd say Tyskie with Black Sambuca chasers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kirschenbier, cherry beer, since it was common practise to make interesting beers in northern Germany until and I think cherry beer is in season. The Reinheitsgebot is an unfortunate, repressive imposition from southern Germany that only became practised in the north in the 20th century.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
REPEAL THE 8TH
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
matthean wrote:

Fosters is terrible: many would argue it is Australia's worst beer. (IMO it is better than Budweiser, but that isn't saying much).

Victoria Bitter (from the same brewery) is much superior and outsells Fosters by 10:1. There are dozens of small and regional breweries in Australia, and it is difficult to nominate any brand inferior to Fosters. Seriously. Don't. It's bad.

Back to the OP: drink Harp. There are bound to have been some Irish mercenaries somewhere in the battle.

Don't drink Harp whatever you do!
It is the Irish equivalent of Foster's gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the three best beers are

(1) Fuller's E.S.B.
(2) Pilsner Urquell
(3) Bishop's Finger

(1) and (3) are English, and (2) is Czech, so I think it falls under the Prussian regime. (However, I have to admit that Pilsner is quite a new innovation, so depending on the era of the battle it might not exist.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pelikan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't drink and drive your enemies before you.

OTOT, if you're into psychological warfare, I'd recommend a Sainte-Croix-du-Mont spritzer.

Cheesy suggestions assuming OP was tongue in cheek. If OP is serious, try local brews - if you're adventurous even some of the sweet fruit beers. Call me names for that suggestion, but not before you tried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Austin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Punainen Nörtti wrote:
I think the three best beers are

(1) Fuller's E.S.B.
(2) Pilsner Urquell
(3) Bishop's Finger

(1) and (3) are English, and (2) is Czech, so I think it falls under the Prussian regime. (However, I have to admit that Pilsner is quite a new innovation, so depending on the era of the battle it might not exist.)

+1 to Fuller's E.S.B.
Had an interesting experience once of taking a swig of my Fuller's, then taking a drink of my wife's Guinness, and getting an aftertaste like summer sausage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
matthean wrote:

VB is Foster's Special Ale in the States. It's comparable to Samuel Adams Boston Lager. I could drink both all night. I'm partial to stouts, and second the recommendation for Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - their Imperial Stout is quite good too. Guinness is king but just doesn't taste right out of a can or bottle. Black lagers are a current passion, especially the Guinness, but I'll always have a Newcastle if I can't decide. I'll take a Yeungling when I can get it.

This time of year I'm looking forward to stocking up on Oktoberfest beers; Paulaner, Sam Adams, Beck's, and try to see how long I can make them last into the new year.

For the game, I'm thinking of providing an ample supply of a standard domestic, maybe even Coors, as the brewery is less than 90 miles from the game site. Don't want anyone getting too wasted. But I'm planning on packing in a few bottles of Chimay to nurse through the night, as well as a bottle of Stoli to salute the boys of Borodino, since we'll be playing on 7 Sept, 200 years later. Na Zdrowie!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
For the libation advice, I recommend the best darn dranking thread on BoardGameGeek-

"What are you drinking right now?"

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/464482/what-are-you-drin...

Best drinking thread- period. Accept no substitutes.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SimGuy wrote:
Ozludo wrote:
matthean wrote:

VB is Foster's Special Ale in the States. It's comparable to Samuel Adams Boston Lager. I could drink both all night. I'm partial to stouts, and second the recommendation for Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - their Imperial Stout is quite good too. Guinness is king but just doesn't taste right out of a can or bottle. Black lagers are a current passion, especially the Guinness, but I'll always have a Newcastle if I can't decide. I'll take a Yeungling when I can get it.

This time of year I'm looking forward to stocking up on Oktoberfest beers; Paulaner, Sam Adams, Beck's, and try to see how long I can make them last into the new year.

For the game, I'm thinking of providing an ample supply of a standard domestic, maybe even Coors, as the brewery is less than 90 miles from the game site. Don't want anyone getting too wasted. But I'm planning on packing in a few bottles of Chimay to nurse through the night, as well as a bottle of Stoli to salute the boys of Borodino, since we'll be playing on 7 Sept, 200 years later. Na Zdrowie!

And Now, for Something Completely Different...
New Belgium Abbey Ale

This is a really good and very unusual beer. It’s light, but has a nice, hop-y bitterness with a brown note from something I can't define, and a lovely hint of yeastiness. It’s American, but the haus is run by a Belgian. And it won't break the bank like Chimay Blue!

Beats the hell out of Stella, which has really slipped, IMHO.

Agree about Fosters. Is Emu Bitter still around? It was a great beer a few decades ago. Haven’t seen it in ages.

Happy Gaming. And Imbibing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG, and thank you for an excellent suggestion. I'll take your cue and procure a sample of NBAA for a taste test soon.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weihenstephaner.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252

/thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
insearchofspace wrote:
Don't drink Harp whatever you do!
It is the Irish equivalent of Foster's gulp

+1.

Except that for some reason people actually do drink it here. Admittedly, I have had worse beer, but not by much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:

Yes! A terrific recommendation.thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SimGuy wrote:
Welcome to BGG, and thank you for an excellent suggestion. I'll take your cue and procure a sample of NBAA for a taste test soon.

Cheers!

It's good stuff. Hope you like it!

BGG is a great community.

See you on the boards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.