Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Does anyone forsee any problems with this variant: Dracula loses 1 Blood Point per *sector* of sea movement (instead of 1 BP total)?

I ask because I play this game with someone who loves using sea sectors to keep Dracula away from the hunters, which makes for an extremely long and dull game. I'd like a way to discourage this (besides simply asking Dracula to not do it so much).

Any thoughts? Would this cure the problem? Any better solutions?

-Mike M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought about doing something like this - 1 blood point per sector seems too harsh, but I thought about doubling the penalty to 2 points per embarkation. Removing the Walpurghis Nacht cards from the deck would probably help a lot too - removing the Blood Transfusion cards would keep things fair. This can be a frustrating aspect of the game and one that I hope they address in the coming reprint.

There are a couple other ways to deal with the problem:

Get Shipping Agents out as quickly as you can against this player. Hit the big cities and burn through cards until it comes out. Always hang on to your Excellent Weather cards and when he goes to sea, keep close to ports. When he tells you he is going in to port, you should have a good idea where he is. Use Excellent Weather cards and you can usually catch him before he leaves the port.

Avoid the temptation to place Heavenly Host counters in the obvious places - Munich and Saragossa. These force a skittish Dracula out to sea by severely limiting his escape options on land. Instead consider placing them on ports to limit his embark and return options. If you can reduce a sea zone to having only one or two port options, you have a much better chance of catching him with Excellent Weather cards.

Hang on to the Stormy Seas card. You can use it to block a sea zone for two rounds, or better yet to force Drac back in to a port (which must be declared).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You understand that Dracula can't enter any sea area twice during sea movement, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
robartin wrote:
I've thought about doing something like this - 1 blood point per sector seems too harsh, but I thought about doubling the penalty to 2 points per embarkation. Removing the Walpurghis Nacht cards from the deck would probably help a lot too - removing the Blood Transfusion cards would keep things fair. This can be a frustrating aspect of the game and one that I hope they address in the coming reprint.

Those are good ideas. I'll give them a try.

robartin wrote:

There are a couple other ways to deal with the problem:

I'm gonna try out some of these different strategies. The main thing, though, is that Dracula is doing his best to stay hidden and non-confrontational, so it can get, as you say, frustrating at times.

Thanks!

-Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
You understand that Dracula can't enter any sea area twice during sea movement, right?

Yep! It's just that I'm dealing with a very "shy" Dracula. Granted, this could be compounded by bad play on my part, so I'm gonna try some new strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One variant I always play with is that Dracula may not leave a town until he has placed an encounter in it. This makes it a bit easier for the hunters to track him down on land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robartin wrote:
One variant I always play with is that Dracula may not leave a town until he has placed an encounter in it. This makes it a bit easier for the hunters to track him down on land.

That would remove a lot of strategy from the game. Too each his own...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.