Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I didn't mention in the Criminal survey was the secondary identity of Gabriel: cyborg. In the case of the Anarchs, Noise is a G-mod, where Kate is a Natural for the Shapers. I wonder if those secondary identities are going to play a role in a future mechanic of the game?

Noise contributes to denial of resources, albeit at a slow pace and dependent on the use of viruses. It would be unusual for an Anarch player to not use viruses at this point, but I'm sure it's possible that a future expansion might create that possibility... at which point you'd assume there would be more Anarch characters available. For those of us who favor the Anarchs, watching the Corp trash something from R&D (especially right after they've played a Precognition; might not get the first card, but might get the second...) while Noise lays down yet another copy of Parasite can only be sweet. It doesn't directly contribute to gameplay the way Gabriel does, but it also doesn't require as much effort. You get what you pay for.

Hardware:
Cyberfeeder is pretty solid. A free credit every turn to feed breakers or play viruses is ideal for most Runners, but especially for Anarch.
Grimoire is an excellent console at only 3 credits and providing 2 MUs. The fact that it feeds the virus jones for Anarch makes it a great combo card.

Events:
Demolition Run is a fantastic early play for Anarch, when the Corp is just getting his game together. Being able to trash cards for no cost is a real advantage. It's probably less so in the later game when a lot of the table is established.
Stimhack is the ideal Anarch card: low cost, powerful, and with a serious deleterious aftereffect. The real danger against certain Corps is that it brings you that much closer to flatlining.
As a former Black mage, I love recursion, which makes Deja Vu ideal for me, especially since it brings two viruses.

Resources:
Wyldside, as with other Anarch cards, comes with a drawback. It will be up to the individual player to decide if the extra card is worth an action (I'm not sold on the 1 card = 1 action = 1 credit equation.)
Ice Carver is certainly worth its cost, but I'm wondering how worthwhile it is to someone planning to play multiple viruses (like Parasite) that may do the job that Carver does.

That said, the Anarch is hurting for creds and will definitely need Sure Gamble and Armitrage to get by.

Icebreakers:
Corroder is a standard Fracter; reliable without frills.
Wyrm installs cheaply but then becomes highly expensive. First you spend credits to even interact with the ice, then you spend to reduce its strength, and then you spend 3 per subroutine. In a game against HB, you'd be broke before you even cracked a single sub. Might be worth playing 1 to fetch with a Special Order for emergencies.
Mimic, like Corroder, is vanilla but also limited to Sentries str 3 or lower, so viruses will have to be in play.
Yog.0 is pricey to install, but breaks subroutines for free. Like Mimic, though, it will be dependent on viruses (or Ice Carver) against anything over strength 3.

At the very least, Anarch can bring all 3 kinds of ice in-faction, which is nice.

Viru- uh, Programs:
Parasite is the standard bearer for viruses, grinding them down so the weaker breakers in Anarch can deal with them, and costing only patience.
Datasucker is slightly more versatile, given that it doesn't have to be directly attached to a piece of ice but assists against whichever is being encountered. It requires runs against central servers, but Anarch will want to do that with Demolition Run, anyway.
Combos just spring off the page when talking about Medium. Runs on R&D benefit Datasucker while Medium enhances Demo Run and placing counters reduces the Corp's deck even further. This is a situation that will almost demand a Corp skip a turn to sweep your counters off.
Djinn may be the best Runner program in the Core set. Able to host 3 MUs of programs (read: viruses) and enabling a search for more. Of course, one has to keep in mind that one "trash one program" result will take Djinn and everything else with it. HB has multiple subroutines of that nature.

Obviously, the big weaknesses for Anarch will be lack of funds and a lack of protection from tags and traces. With the aforementioned Neutrals, I could see including Decoy, Easy Mark, Bank Job, Rabbit Hole, Aesop's Panwshop, and Sac Construct if you're really oriented around Djinn. The Personal Touch would help, but the counter is the already Anarch Ice Carver. The Maker's Eye would be a great piece of the aforementioned R&D combos, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jackwraith wrote:
Ice Carver is certainly worth its cost, but I'm wondering how worthwhile it is to someone planning to play multiple viruses (like Parasite) that may do the job that Carver does.

Ice Carver is good value in general, even for the other factions. As long as you can afford the 1MU, it should certainly save more than its credit cost in almost all cases. For Anarchs, there is the great added bonus of it accelerating parasite, and helping to enable its fixed strength breakers.

Now the big change from its grand-daddy Clown is that it's become unique. (though costing one less) So the big question is, will it be worth running multiple copies? Two may well be worth it I think, though I don't think the returns from a third will prove to be worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Dugger

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackwraith wrote:

Resources:
Wyldside, as with other Anarch cards, comes with a drawback. It will be up to the individual player to decide if the extra card is worth an action (I'm not sold on the 1 card = 1 action = 1 credit equation.)

Anarch needs to get corp to rez ice so it can parasite them. Even if it can't break ice. With Wyld in play you can risk a bit of net damage. And even if you have to discard it, with Deja Vu it's really just storing it for later.

Quote:

Icebreakers:
Corroder is a standard Fracter; reliable without frills.
Wyrm installs cheaply but then becomes highly expensive. First you spend credits to even interact with the ice, then you spend to reduce its strength, and then you spend 3 per subroutine. In a game against HB, you'd be broke before you even cracked a single sub.

Wyrm+Parasite = cheaply trashed ice. You don't have to break the subroutines, just reduce the strength to trigger Parasite trashing the ICE.

Quote:

Datasucker is slightly more versatile, given that it doesn't have to be directly attached to a piece of ice but assists against whichever is being encountered. It requires runs against central servers, but Anarch will want to do that with Demolition Run, anyway.
Combos just spring off the page when talking about Medium. Runs on R&D benefit Datasucker while Medium enhances Demo Run and placing counters reduces the Corp's deck even further. This is a situation that will almost demand a Corp skip a turn to sweep your counters off.
Djinn may be the best Runner program in the Core set. Able to host 3 MUs of programs (read: viruses) and enabling a search for more. Of course, one has to keep in mind that one "trash one program" result will take Djinn and everything else with it. HB has multiple subroutines of that nature.

Who chooses which program is trashed as a result of those subroutines?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
argus88 wrote:
Jackwraith wrote:

Ice Carver is good value in general, even for the other factions. As long as you can afford the 1MU, it should certainly save more than its credit cost in almost all cases. For Anarchs, there is the great added bonus of it accelerating parasite, and helping to enable its fixed strength breakers.

Now the big change from its grand-daddy Clown is that it's become unique. (though costing one less) So the big question is, will it be worth running multiple copies? Two may well be worth it I think, though I don't think the returns from a third will prove to be worthwhile.

Ice Carver is a virtual asset. It is not a Program and does not require MU.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pwnguin wrote:

Corp chooses the target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pwnguin wrote:

It has to be the Corp unless the Runner has Sacrificial Construct. Otherwise, the value of that card diminishes precipitously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
argus88 wrote:
Jackwraith wrote:

Ice Carver is a virtual asset. It is not a Program and does not require MU.

Aw damn, no way! Completely missed that, very interesting... so it's now vulnerable to just getting trashed when you take a tag, but at the same time it doesn't hog MU. Good argument for at-least a second copy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackwraith wrote:
pwnguin wrote:

It has to be the Corp unless the Runner has Sacrificial Construct. Otherwise, the value of that card diminishes precipitously.

Even if Sacrificial Construct is in play...

Corp chooses which Program to trash.
Runner chooses to trash Sacrificial Construct to prevent that trashing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reed makamson
United States
Vallejo
California
flag msg tools
Weyland has an interesting counter for parasite, because they have ice that be advanced to pump strength. provided they are willing to pay clicks and credits each turn, they can keep their ice healthy. this only marginally increases the cost of wyrm and datasucker outright trashing it, however. shipment from kaguya improves this method somewhat. also from weyland, security subcontract lets you "euthanize" the ice for a moderate return, rather than let it die slowly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest drawback to Wyldside is the fact that once you play it you can't willingly trash it in the future. Once it's played you're committed to having one less click for the rest of the game (unless the Corp trashes it by spending 1 click and paying 2 credits when you are tagged).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cant you use Aesop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
Cant you use Aesop?

You can! Forgot about him. Kind of funny how you're selling Aesop the whereabouts of the Wyldside location. Guess Aesop's a bit of a party animal himself.

I was just saying how there's no innate ability to trash resources for the runner like they can for programs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reed makamson
United States
Vallejo
California
flag msg tools
With a strong tendency to run R&D and no back way in like Sneakdoor Beta, the corp will to load up R&D vs. an anarch. in the overall strategy, Parasite's main use will be to keep R&D warm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olly P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed this faction, but so far I've only played the base set deck. My friend and I both found ourselves starved of resources playing this faction, so the first bit of deckbuilding I do (I am new to this) will be to add a few extra money making cards to the deck to see if that makes it any easier. Using Stimhack then hitting two Hadrians Walls didn't help though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how deep in the forum you dug to find this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton R.
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
Noise is op, I always knew it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Pyjam wrote:

Doesn't have to dig deep, just use the search function to filter results for ya and hey presto! temporal relevance is no longer an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunke wrote:
Pyjam wrote:

Doesn't have to dig deep, just use the search function to filter results for ya and hey presto! temporal relevance is no longer an issue.

So you are saying the search function is like a wormhole from Star Trek?

Most people just say it sucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
cynchwyrm wrote:
Stunke wrote:
Pyjam wrote:

So you are saying the search function is like a wormhole from Star Trek?

Most people just say it sucks.

Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic... People just don't appreciate how to time travel with the search function 'sall I'm sayin'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.