Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping it simple, what should I watch/prepare for?

At first we were supposed to be 6 players but one bailed out. Now we're down to 5 motivated players, mostly Euro gamers which I fear is not the best crowd to try a game like Rex with. I already told them about the game and it's counter-intuitive mecanics and betrayal element. They should be in the best of moods to enjoy this game

Most of them will have read the rules so it won't take too long to start playing the game.

Anything else I need to watch?

EDIT: Finally a 6th player just confirmed. Excellent news!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Dune *loads* way back when. Played Rex a couple of times more recently with the full complement of 6 and loved it. Like you've realised, it's all about the experience so go for it and have fun! I think we deserve a 'session report' - btw cool
Subscribing in anticipation!

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, here's a small session report after my first game last monday.

First of all, let me present you the 6 players that were attending that evening, their behaviors during the game and a rating I think they gave to Rex:

- Player 1 (LETNEV): This guy seem to like every type of games and games with negociations and open debates. He was really enjoying the game and was openly threatening his "Archnemesis" as he called him. That made some funny moments! 8/10

- Player 2 (XXCHA): A Dune player...that was talking about Dune ALL game long, comparing how we could do that with Dune but not with Rex...7/10

- Player 3 (JOL-NAR): The older player which was really in the game. Kept us on a steady pace and seemed to have fun! By the end it was not his type of game but enjoyed the evening nonetheless. 6/10

- Player 4 (me - SOL): The easiest to describe lol. I love everything that doesn't have wooden animals So any type of games that has good mechanics, strategic, needs a little thinking and planning i'm all in! 8/10

- Player 5 (HACAN): A really cool guy that likes a good laugh but doesn't like negociation games. Rex isn't all about negociation but the Alliance aspect of the game didn't really appealed to him. He doesn't really want to play again but he's willing to grab a seat if we're 1 player short. 4/10

- Player 6 (LAZAX): Fun and weird dude. I didn't sense that he was really enjoying the game after the first 2 rounds and he started skipping turn order to do his moves to "accelerate the opace a bit" like he said...5/10

AVERAGELY ESTIMATED RATING: 6.4/10

So, here's our eclectic group with 6 completely different type of players. We started with the rules at around 7:15pm and since some had already read them it was easier to explain...except for Player 2 (Dune player) that was always comparing Rex and Dune. We started player at around 7:30pm and the game ended with a 3-player Alliance win with Player 1, Player 3 and me at 10:30pm. Not bad at all for our first game but I fear it'll be very hard to find a regular group to play this unfortunately.

Well, personally I pretty much liked the game. The mechanics are simple enough that the game picks up really quick. Love the 6 completely different races and their Alliance combinations with the other is really cool.

Here's my appreciation of the 7 phases of a game round:

Phase 1 - Influence : Pretty straighforwarding, you pick a card and resolve it. If it's a Sol Offensive or a Temporary ceasefire you resolve it and then pick a new card until you grab an Influence card and then get on to phase 2.

Phase 2 - Bidding: This phase is a boring but very important. With 6 players, you bid on Strategy cards until a higher bidder wins. It's really simple but killed some of the mood for me.

Phase 3 - Recruitment: Another quick phase where you have the chance to buy (and get some free) units and leader from the Casualty Pool on the board back to your reserve.

Phase 4 - Manoeuvering: Movement and Deployement phase where you travel around the board and deploy more units on one space of your choice (except for the Sol that is limited to deploy on sectors 13 to 17 but for free).

Phase 5 - Battle: Battle emchanic is pretty cool but like the Bidding phase, when you're not participating in the battle it can get boring a bit. But it's a necessary phase if you want to conquer the place and do some damage to your opponent(s).

Phase 6 - Collection: Easy and qwuick one, you simply grab 2 Influence per unit you have on the space and all players get 2 Influence.

Phase 7 - Bombardement: Another easy phase where you reveal a Bombardement card and move the ships that much spaces, destroying everything on the spaces they passed through and stopped, excluding spaces with the Shield Icon.

Overall it's a cool game where it shines depending on your group. A long time friends group that like to tease each other and knows each other well would be really fun. Playing with 5 semi-strangers is ok but not the ideal way to play Rex.

After all, Rex feels more like an event that a game. It has a lot of cool a easy to grab mechanics that hide lots of depths and complexity in the gameplay. The multiple Alliance mix, the player dynamics and negociations, the Imperium Ships that roam Rex destroying eveything on their path, the way you can never tell if or when your Allies will betray you...this game is an experience in it's own more that a game.

It's cool and gets cooler depending with whom you play with.

EDIT: Posting this in the Session tags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Noel
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Next time im playing with you guy's!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilukru wrote:
Next time im playing with you guy's!

J'espère!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.