United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

Well, it's still Friday here!

Poll: The 204th TGIF Poll
How often do you buy games as gifts for non-gamers?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
All the time
0.8% 2
Frequently
2.0% 5
Sometimes
31.1% 79
Rarely
41.3% 105
Never
24.8% 63
Voters 254
How successful do you think you've been at giving game gifts to non-gamers?
Great
3.6% 9
Good
19.4% 49
OK
38.7% 98
Bad
10.3% 26
Horrible
3.2% 8
I don't give games to non-gamers
24.9% 63
Voters 253
Which of the following do you think are good reasons to buy a game for a non-gamer?

(Check all that apply)
I think they'll like it
68.0% 170
It has a theme they are interested in
30.4% 76
It has mechanisms that might interest them
10.4% 26
I've played it with them and they liked it
62.0% 155
I'm confident they'll play it
30.4% 76
They asked for it
52.8% 132
I want to try it, but I don't want to buy it for myself
0.8% 2
It's a game I love, so why wouldn't others love it
4.4% 11
There's no good reason, don't force games on folks who don't want them
17.6% 44
Voters 250
This poll is now closed.   255 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:00 am

4. What's the most successful game gift you've given?

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Giving games works out about a third of the time, I think. I've given games that never got played and I've given games (particularly cooperative kid games) that got played a lot and had people come back to me later mentioning it.

But I think a general rule of thumb is that most people don't want games as gifts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely give games to non-gamers and only to people that I've played games with before.

The only game that has been a universal hit is one not well received around here: Apples to Apples. I've given copies to several families and everyone has loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't associate with non-gamers. They're no fun.

But if I did, I wouldn't give them a game unless they had specifically asked for it. Even then, I'd rather get them something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly I give games to my nieces and the like, then teach them the game. Kids love games, and then they make their parents play. I try to keep them on the better side, they are pretty young, so stuff like Enchanted Forest and Château Roquefort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not something I do often but I have done it a few times with great success.

On of my aunt's always sent a board for my birthday when I was a kid and I distinctly remember being disappointed it wasn't a 'real' toy. Looking back she sent some great games and I owe her. I know she gave us Survive: Escape from Atlantis!, Crossbows and Catapults, Risk, Acquire and many other games I great enjoyed playing.

I buy my brother and sister a game every year for Christmas. They are not gamers but do play games once in a while and claim to enjoy the ones I have sent them.

I gave Ticket to Ride as a wedding gift to a college friend and his wife wrote and told me it was there favorite game about a year after the wedding.

I bought like 20 copies of Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie when I found them on clearance and used them as birthday presents for my kids friends for a year. No idea if any of them ever played them but they had enough toy appeal I wasn't worried.

I think a game can make a great gift for a non-gamer but has to be given with some care and understanding of the receiver or baring that a gift receipt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - I try to do it pretty rarely nowadays. I've learned from experience that they usually won't play them.

2 - We try to keep our game gift giving to a minimum now, aside from giving to my gamer brother. As a result I think when we do give game gifts they are much more effective and get played a good amount.

3 - There are 2 conditions to our game giving to non-gamers: 1. We've already played the game with them and saw firsthand that they enjoy it. 2. I'm confident that if we give the game to them they'll play it. Of course I don't mind a direct request from the person too.

4 - We gave Ticket to Ride to some friends and they shared it with their extended family. Now every household in that family has a copy and one household has bought every expansion map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
We have tried this a few times (maybe once a year) with different friends and relatives, and it has been pretty hit-and-miss. A copy of Say Anything for my niece and her partner was the best result. My sister and her family were lukewarm about Ticket to Ride: Europe. As far as I know, all the games have been played and no-one has been terribly disappointed, but none of them are on high rotation either!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Meeker
United States
Camano Island
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Citadels with people when I/we visit their house, and if it is enjoyed, I leave it behind. It's my way of saying thanks and trying to spread the gaming bug.

I'm all Johnny Appleseedy like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't give games as gifts to non-gamers, I don't see the point. I have given games to family members, who are all gamers, but of the the more social/casual variety. I wouldn't give them anything out of their comfort zone - although I did think Settlers of Catan would have been more successful than it was.

I think the best received game I've ever given has been Rage. When it was reprinted about ten years ago, I bought ten copies, and distributed them amongst all my family members who loved the game - our original copies had mostly worn out, and all the next generation had grown up and loved having their own copies to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Blott wrote:

Any discussion is encouraged.

A very pretty mancala set to my dad.
He likes pretty things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone says "ooooh, I dunno, just get me a game" then I will.

Otherwise games as gifts to non-gamers is like me being bought a vegetarian cookbook. Maybe the dishes in there ARE delicious, healthy and full of flavour, but I'm just not into that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What's the most successful game gift you've given?

Forbidden Island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Rarely

2. OK

3. I've played with them and they liked it/They asked for it.

4. It depends on how you interpret this question.

If you are looking for the game I have given away most often then it would be Scotland Yard. I have found several copies of this at thrift stores and given away as gifts.

If you are looking for games given to gamers then it is Ticket to Ride. I gave a copy to my best friend and his family and they have played it so much he is burnt out on it. This would be my first interpretation of the question.

If you are looking for games given to non-gamers then it is Dog-opoly. I gave a copy to my niece for Christmas, and she like to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, if I give a game to a non-gamer, the non-gamer is a bright child. Especially if there will be an opportunity to play the game with him/her, it often works out.

On a more unusual note, when I met Deb (via Singlesnet.com) she was not a gamer. She had played games with her kids when they were younger, but nothing recent. She was open to try and seemed to enjoy playing a variety of euros. For our first Christmas, my parents (non-gamers themselves) gave her a game I suggested, Thurn and Taxis. Deb had lived in Germany for several years, so I thought she would like the theme, and the game works with 2, 3 or 4 players. She loved it! She is now completely hooked. We play games several times a week (alone, with my kids, with their friends, sometimes with our adult friends), she has played over 10,000 games on yucata.de, and we just got back from her third WBC, where she made it to the pool only once in 7 days because she was too busy playing games. We are coming up on our second wedding anniversary. Life is good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Blott wrote:

Probably the copy of Settlers we gave to my niece. Well, no - I suppose it's some game I've given to a gamer, who I thought would particularly enjoy the game. But I couldn't point to which such game was the most successful...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Quote:
What's the most successful game gift you've given?

Forbidden Island

Me too - it's a pretty easy choice for non-gamers that I know will play a game once in awhile. I'd also pick Qwirkle, but so many of my friends already own it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Early on my success in game gift giving was bad, but I have gotten better by usually having them try it out with me before I buy it for them or really putting more thought into who is receiving it and will they play it when I am not there with them.

I found a copy of Nexus Ops for very cheap at a time when copies were going for $75+ in shrink ans knew my non-gamer cousins teenagers would love it. They did love it and look forward to playing games whenever I am around them. Such pressure -

Another hit was RattleSnake for my 5 year old nephew. He had already opened it and learned the game by the time he taught me how to play. He loves to roll dice!!!!

Many of the games I bought at Gen Con this weekend were for gift giving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek Uno. I gave it to a friend who likes Star Trek, and we've played the game for fifteen years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gifted Snorta! to a couple I know and played the game with. They play it with other friends now on a regular basis and have fun with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have friends who heard that I liked weird games and they said they played 'Settlers of Catan' once at a dinner party with another couple and it was kinda fun. For an engagement gift I swamped them with games. Dominion fell flat. Agricola was okay.

But Le Havre was a huge hit. They play it all the time and have gotten his brother and wife into gaming as well.

(They were sorta gamers to begin with - she plays Quiddler and Scrabble)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Games: Design 'em, rewrite 'em, play 'em!
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave Carcassonne to one and Dominionto another and in both cases they became game players afterward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott--
Knowing how popular your Friday polls are, I was surprised this didn't get more response. Where was everybody?!]

Then I realized: GenCon was going on--I bet that explains it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
lmlawson wrote:
Blott--
Knowing how popular your Friday polls are, I was surprised this didn't get more response. Where was everybody?!]

Then I realized: GenCon was going on--I bet that explains it!

Part of it may be he posted it late in the day on Friday where as he usually has them up in the morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would never buy a game for a non-gamer until I broached the subject with them first. Games are too costly to give to people who aren't interested...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.