Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that Haas-Bioroid is the least favorite among the Corps at the moment, but I kind of like them. They seem to have a subtlety to them that reminds me of certain M:TG control decks (I played all kinds of decks, but black/blue control was kind of my schtick.) Gaining a cred for the first install every turn isn't a bad thing, especially in the early game, when you're first building your tableau.

Upgrades:
Corporate Troubleshooter is a solid emergency card when you see the Runner bringing the heavy heat.
Experiential Data is as efficient as Anarch's Ice Carver for its particular server. Not great, but useful.

Operations:
Archived Memories is a zero cost recursion card. That's an automatic 3-card slot, IMO.
Biotic Labor is the gain of one action for 4 creds. Since the Corp's actions are already lower than the Runner's, this seems like a good emergency card if you really need to make something work. But 4 creds is pricey.
Shipment from Mirrormorph, OTOH, is brilliant. Granted, everything still has to be rezzed, but you use one action and one credit to do three actions worth of work. That's great.

Assets:
Adonis Campaign is an eventual profit of 8 credits, but it will take two turns after the first to make its cost back and 4 turns to retrieve all of it, leaving the Runner ample opportunity to cut off your cash flow.
Aggressive Secretary can absolutely ruin Anarch's day, especially if they're running Djinn (as they should be.) While not as ferocious as other traps, it again plays into the seeming theme of HB as a slow control deck, neutering the Runner's strikes.

HB, like Anarch, has limited means to acquire money, making Hedge Fund, Melange, and Beanstalk Royalties virtual (ha!) necessities.

ICE:
Ichi 1.0 is a very versatile program. While its subroutines can be easily broken, that method costs whole actions from the Runner, which is costly. Meanwhile, those subs can wreck programs and/or result in a very painful Trace. At 5 to rez, it's not cheap, but 4 strength is something that most breakers will have to spend against, too.
Viktor 1.0 is weaker than Ichi and also has subroutines that can be avoided with actions, but they're also the kind of subs that will definitely be paid for, one way or the other.
Heimdall 1.0 (love the name) is a str 6 Barrier with the same qualities as Ichi and Viktor and is the most fearsome piece of ICE that HB has but is hugely expensive to rez.
Rototurret, OTOH, costs 1 less than Ichi but isn't half as effective a Sentry. I really don't understand the purpose of this card.

HB covers all three kinds of ICE in-faction, which is good, and it's clear that the intent behind its approach is to slow the Runner down. Yes, even if the Runner is short on cash, they will spend actions to avoid the brain damage or loss of programs, but that may mean they do little else that turn, which can turn out to be a win for HB.

Agendas:
Accelerated Beta Test is a nice boost to a Corp with limited cash and its downside can be compensated for by Archived Memories.

I have to say that the concept of every Corp deck having six predetermined cards (Private Security Force and Private Requisition) in order to make their agenda points is a little annoying.

As far as added cards go, Shipment from Kaguya, Research Station, Anonymous Tip, and PAD Campaign can all function as accelerants for the slow HB Corp, while Closed Accounts, Cell Portal, and Chum play off either the slowing effect of HB or the more dangerous parts of its ice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Loving your analysis, so thanks for sharing!

I also like HB quite a bit. I do have two counter-points to make on two of the cards though:
Jackwraith wrote:
Biotic Labor is the gain of one action for 4 creds. Since the Corp's actions are already lower than the Runner's, this seems like a good emergency card if you really need to make something work. But 4 creds is pricey.

This is all about fast scoring agendas. A direct reprint of a card from classic Netrunner. It's only ever likely to be worth it if it's letting you score an agenda a turn early, but that can be huge. Still, I'd say that with the current lack of agenda options, this is a card that may actually find a better fit in non HB decks (for the time-being).

Jackwraith wrote:
Adonis Campaign is an eventual profit of 8 credits, but it will take two turns after the first to make its cost back and 4 turns to retrieve all of it, leaving the Runner ample opportunity to cut off your cash flow.
Disagree on this one. This is an awesome bit-gainer, and Soo much better than similar options in the original game in my opinion. It's basically a win-win for the corp every time. If you install, but wait to rez till the start of your next turn, then there is no point at which the runner can trash it and not be down credits in comparison to you (2 at the least). Would definitely include 3 in any HB deck I made and play at every opportunity. Also a card I'd be tempted to subcontract into other corp decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. It's replies like that that I've been hoping to generate with these, since my NR experience is non-existent.

That's a good point about Adonis Campaign. I forgot that you can rez it just prior to your turn. Have to study the timing rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall really good article.

Jackwraith wrote:
Assets:

HB, like Anarch, has limited means to acquire money, making Hedge Fund, Melange, and Beanstalk Royalties virtual (ha!) necessities.

I'm not understanding this pair of statements together.

HB gets an Asset that guarantees profit, probably one of the better credit generators for Corps in the game.... With access to the PAD campaign as well, I wouldn't bother splashing into Beanstalk Royalties most of the time given the ample other credit-generating means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

I guess it just seemed that HB had some expensive cards and that just Adonis and/or PAD wouldn't be sufficient. Of course, I'm still unfamiliar with a lot of the pace of the game, so perhaps 3 creds/turn (well, 4 with an install) will be sufficient for what the Corp wants to do in the early game. But that would require Adonis showing up in the early game, which isn't guaranteed, so I was looking for more funding options. My intent with most of my own decks would be to avoid the "one click for one credit" situation, especially as the Corp player, with one fewer click per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You're right, accelerating credit gain is extremely important, and the less actions you have to use to gain one credit the better.

byronczimmer wrote:
With access to the PAD campaign as well, I wouldn't bother splashing into Beanstalk Royalties most of the time given the ample other credit-generating means.

I actually just took a second look at PAD campaign, must have skimmed over that previously. Well that's awesome! So in general, the corp passive credit generators just got seriously buffed. That actually takes a bit of the shine off of Adonis Campaign but still, it (Adonis) is much faster to turn its profit. Anyhow, I agree, I wouldn't bother with Beanstalk Royalties which at 1 action + 1 card for 3 credits isn't an enormous improvement over your base credit gain action.

I think Adonis and PAD campaigns, with support from a couple of hedge funds for immediate credit boosts should serve to keep HB in a good place as far as funds go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I must say, I'm liking the look of this faction as well. Just browsing through their cards, I get the feeling that their strength may lie very much in which out of faction cards they exploit (but then again, that may be true of all the corps to some degree). Looking forward to deck-building with these guys though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Townsend
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know how Corporate Troubleshooter is supposed to work, since you can only use cards on your turn? If you boosted strength on your turn, the strength would just end because it ends at the end of the turn. Can someone help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Empires wrote:
Does anyone know how Corporate Troubleshooter is supposed to work, since you can only use cards on your turn? If you boosted strength on your turn, the strength would just end because it ends at the end of the turn. Can someone help?

You can use non-click paid abilities during the Runner's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Empires wrote:

You should be able to use it when the runner is approaching an ice.
See: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/843527/corps-turn-rezzin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
p.s. Here's the relevant rule from the manual:

Rules wrote:

Paid abilities- In order to trigger a paid ability, a trigger
cost must be paid. The most common trigger costs are spending
clicks, credits, or hosted counters, and trashing cards. A
card’s trigger cost is always listed in its text box before the
effect, following the format “cost: effect.” A paid ability can be
triggered an unlimited number of times as long as the cost is
paid and any restrictions specified by the effect are observed.
Paid abilities can be triggered at the beginning of each turn,
before and after each player action, and at certain points during
a run, unless the ability requires a click, in which case it must be
triggered as an action

p.g. 21.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the 'I don't understand the purpose of this card' comment re: Rototurret (which is a reprint from original NR,Banpei)

Roto turret is EXCELLENT surprise ice, and can be rezzed early, AND ends the run unconditionally, rare for a sentry in the core. Not having the bioroid liability makes the destroyer effect much more likely to hurt. Yes, it's broken cheaply if runner has a killer breaker, but it's pretty good ice, and worth splashing too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flamejuggler wrote:
I don't understand the 'I don't understand the purpose of this card' comment re: Rototurret (which is a reprint from original NR,Banpei)

Roto turret is EXCELLENT surprise ice, and can be rezzed early, AND ends the run unconditionally, rare for a sentry in the core. Not having the bioroid liability makes the destroyer effect much more likely to hurt. Yes, it's broken cheaply if runner has a killer breaker, but it's pretty good ice, and worth splashing too.

The 0 strength doesn't help it out much beyond the first suprise...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:
flamejuggler wrote:

A 0 strength 'trash a program' subroutine still trashes a program.
A 0 strength 'end the run' subroutine still ends the run.

It costs credits to break subroutines.
Mimic: 2 credits
Femme Fatale: 2 credits
Ninja: 2 credits
Pipeline: 2 credits
Crypsis: 2 credits (and optional click to keep him around)
Wyrm: 3 credits

Pretty good for a little 4 cost turret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:
flamejuggler wrote:

Against Anarchs, parasite is "action: trash rototurret"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:
flamejuggler wrote:

at the cost of a card and an action, I'd happily let the parasite take out a lowly turret that Noise has the breaker to break instead of something above his security level that keeps him out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:

True, but doesn't that trash parasite as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reed makamson
United States
Vallejo
California
flag msg tools
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:
flamejuggler wrote:

if you have a mimic(or anything byron mentioned) out, is rototurrent really your best use of parasite? while you do have djinn and deja vu, you should have no problem getting them, but you still only at most 5 per game(6 if bought two sets). i'd just deal with rototurrent, 2 creds/run is no biggy. save parasite for the expensive heavies in order get cred-advantage on the corp. of course if you dont have a killer or way to get one, it might be worth it. but thats whats really dangerous about rototurrent, it's a small enough price to pay, meaning the runner will keep paying it, which slows him down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reebomak wrote:
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:
flamejuggler wrote:

if you have a mimic(or anything byron mentioned) out, is rototurrent really your best use of parasite? while you do have djinn and deja vu, you should have no problem getting them, but you still only at most 5 per game(6 if bought two sets). i'd just deal with rototurrent, 2 creds/run is no biggy. save parasite for the expensive heavies in order get cred-advantage on the corp. of course if you dont have a killer or way to get one, it might be worth it. but thats whats really dangerous about rototurrent, it's a small enough price to pay, meaning the runner will keep paying it, which slows him down.

But if the corp just forgoes the actions, those last 5 turns we're just undone. This way can at least help you get a back door into archives or RnD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.