United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have several other of CMONs games.
SDE, Zombicide, and soon Sedition Wars.
All great values and fun (I hope) games.

Relic looks cool. I like the play still, and the figs are pretty sweet.
But, to get all 6 factions (I know only 2 are needed) youre looking at $270. And you get roughly 36 figs, 30 if you dont count the Cyphers.
So, about $9 a piece. Includes books and play cards.

This sound right price wise?
Ie, is the value there?

And then, if you are a completionist .
The optionals are $180 for 10 figs, averaging $18 a piece.
Again, value you there.

The game looks inticing, but im trying to warrant spending the $450.
Knowing that these are the starter kits, so more will be released in what is to be a Skirmish game.

Any thoughts on this game?
Anyone played it at all?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it yet but I am a supporter of the Kickstarter.

Know that with the Gotta Get Them All and the 4 starter options that you get 3 and 2 rulebooks with them, and that you can trade them back for $35 worth of other stuff from their kickstarter.
So I will be trading back 2 of my rulebooks for extra figures.

Going by your figure of $9, that is a pretty good deal for the figures - Soda Pop Miniatures produces really beautiful figures so quality is not an issue and compared to some of the other companies out there, notably GW with their $50 plastic space marine captain with options, makes SPM a nice company with a nice price.

The faction starters are pretty good deal too, because for $100 you get two starters, S.E miniatures and Hard Bound Rulebook.
The starters contain 1 Relic Knight + Cypher and between 3-5 additional figures - the relic knights by themselves can cost around $40, and the 6th Edition of Warhammer 40k rulebook costs $120 in Australia and its just a rule book, without necessary army books - Other hardbound rulebooks generally cost around $50+.
It should be noted that the current releases of Relic Knights are metal and the kickstarter is to get the figure line done in plastic which will be cheaper to the purchaser.

As for trying to warrant the spending, I guess it's a balancing act because the kickstarter gives you free stuff and extra bang for your buck at the cost of pre-emptively purchasing.
Sure you can wait til it is properly released but then you lose the sweet bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter,
Thanks for the info.
Im all about KS.
I was in full bore twice over for both Zombicide and Sedition Wars.
Not too mention Zpocalypse.
So if I go for Relic, I go now or never.

I definitely understand GW prices.
Years ago I collected 3 10k+ point armies.
Necrons, Space Marines, and Tyranids.
Along with roughly 2k armies for all else but Orcs.
So im no stranger to huge $ sinks for minis and games.

Just got into Uncharted Seas recently and im already waist deep in that.

I was not aware about the $35 credit for the books.
So the gotta get them all level can keep one book and trade back the other 2 for $70 worth of other extras?
Can you perhaps link / show where you saw this?
I would love to look it over, that will certainly help make a choice.

Thanks,
J.R.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
"In loving memory of Mariel."
mb
ropya wrote:
So the gotta get them all level can keep one book and trade back the other 2 for $70 worth of other extras?

Here you go. It's the "Quickie update" #8.

I'd be interested in swapping out all of the rulebooks, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd keep one rule book definitely, was sorta tempted to keep a second in pristine condition - This kinda reminds me of the Anima Tactics one with all the sweet artwork.

Comparison wise to other miniature games, I'd say this is on par with Malifaux, Anima Tactics, Bushido etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
awakeneddragon wrote:
ropya wrote:

Here you go. It's the "Quickie update" #8.

I'd be interested in swapping out all of the rulebooks, really.

Thanks for that.
Going to have to look over the funds and asses.
Reapers KS is gutting me right now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
mb
I hear you (^_-) I'm doing the Bones KS as well.

But, thankfully, the payout for RK is almost a month later, so I don't have any problems throwing money down for it now--especially if it'll get us closer to the mysterious "Boost" unlock...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
mb
squallgoku wrote:
Comparison wise to other miniature games, I'd say this is on par with Malifaux, Anima Tactics, Bushido etc.

Rounding up anime skirmish games, the offerings are really uneven though...

Malifaux ranges from US$30-45, but only includes 5ish minis, and none nearly as large as the knights (except for Noh--man, does she need an uber base to stand out). Their minis are metal, which is an automatic turn off for me. I would say that RK wins.

Anima Tactics was beautiful, but way too expensive. It is no longer around (getting a reboot somewhere?), but it too was pewter and full of Anime goodness. RK seems to be going the non-high-fantasy route and this looks like it'll work. Also metal. RK wins this one as well.

Bushido looks awesome. It runs about $45 for 5 metal minis, and some stat cards. RK is 3 for 3.

Looking beyond the anime/Japanese themes, I'd throw RK up against...

Dark Age will cost you $40 for a starter, but only for some basic units. Start cards and metal minis are about it. I was heavy into this game, and certainly wouldn't mind picking up the recent figs that I don't have, but RK fits my collection better nowadays.

Warmachine runs $50 for a starter, with minis of comparable detail, but not quite size (especially for the larger figs on the RK side). Also, besides the minis there are only stat cards. I love me some Warmachine (especially since they switched to plastic/resin), but there's definitely room on my table for RK too. Value-wise, that's a hard one. Given a choice of two games, I'd do Warmachine and RK.

We could go on, but all-in-all, I think we can say with confidence that RK stands up well to what's out there in many respects, and in quite a few others exceeds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get my Anima Tactics stuff for about $7-$10 for a normal 28mm Heroic scale figure - so thats where my comparison with A.T comes in.
ropya wrote:

It only gets expensive when you want the big 'Gears' suits and even then you don't really field that many of them.
Also it was rebooted by Cipher Studios after FFG dropped the ball there, they released all the figures that FFG had planned plus many more - they seem to be alternating releases with their Helldorado stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
I have several other of CMONs games.
SDE, Zombicide, and soon Sedition Wars.
All great values and fun (I hope) games.

Relic looks cool. I like the play still, and the figs are pretty sweet.
But, to get all 6 factions (I know only 2 are needed) youre looking at $270. And you get roughly 36 figs, 30 if you dont count the Cyphers.

Well, if we follow the precedent of Zombicide and Sedition Wars, we're going to start seeing stretch goals which add more figures for the same price. So those prices may drop a bit yet.

Or they might not. This is a skirmish game, with a different emphasis. But the miniatures are in plastic, where pumping out duplicate models is much cheaper than making a mold for even a single new model.

awakeneddragon wrote:
Warmachine runs $50 for a starter, with minis of comparable detail, but not quite size (especially for the larger figs on the RK side). Also, besides the minis there are only stat cards. I love me some Warmachine (especially since they switched to plastic/resin), but there's definitely room on my table for RK too. Value-wise, that's a hard one. Given a choice of two games, I'd do Warmachine and RK.

This is the comparison I keep coming up against. I strongly prefer science fiction themes to fantasy, and anime styling is a slight bonus. But I know the gameplay for Warmachine is rock solid. There is also an established player base in my area for WarmaHordes; I can't count on that for Relic Knights. So for now I'm watching every gameplay video I can get my hands on, and trying to make up my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is hard to make a start on an obscure game when everyone knows the names Warhammer, Warmachine, and Hordes - I myself have discovered many games here on BGG that I won't find at my FLGS.
Sometimes I find that I might have to be the pioneer in an area to get a game the attention it warrants - I don't mind heralding new games, though it mostly happens in my own small circle, though posting about it on local gaming forums can help spread the word.
EDIT: even alternative circles could be a way to gauge interest, as in the Anime and Cosplay fans - I've been spreading the word via Wai-Con on facebook.

I guess for you, maybe see if any others in the area are getting in on the Kickstarter or considering it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
mb
Bwian wrote:
This is the comparison I keep coming up against. I strongly prefer science fiction themes to fantasy, and anime styling is a slight bonus. But I know the gameplay for Warmachine is rock solid. There is also an established player base in my area for WarmaHordes; I can't count on that for Relic Knights. So for now I'm watching every gameplay video I can get my hands on, and trying to make up my mind.

Warmachine is good stuff. I'm glad that they've done as well as they have since they were the new guys on the block. Will RK do the same? That's hard to say.

Anime certainly has it's fans worldwide, and the game seems nice enough. Like anything else, it'll depend on the company that fronts it (and this all looks like a second, big push to me), and of course those that become fans (we, that are nudged by anime stylings). I've decided to go for it because this really is exciting for me--the chance to get the figs that I really could not afford before. CMoN and KS make it possible. I certainly hope more people tap into that inner voice that says, "Hey, this is different and cool."

Who knows? In a few years we can look back at RK and say that we remember when it was the new kid on the block...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awakeneddragon wrote:

Who knows? In a few years we can look back at RK and say that we remember when it was the new kid on the block...

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McCabe
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You should ask their Gen Con booth babe. Yes, they had a booth babe.

Might be NSFW, but then again, they had her in the open on the Gen Con floor. shake
http://losthemisphere.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/ge...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the problem here might be that BGG isn't really the place to look up news/reviews/etc... as it pertains to table-top minis games. While I love and adore this place, i've found to get good insights to the quality of a minis game, I need to go beyond these borders.

A game like WarMachine/Hordes has been shockingly refined/perfected and has a big and growing community built around the fact that the game's rules were/are pretty much perfect and accessible. It stole huge market share from Game's Workshop's 800lbs gorilla for good reason. Malifaux is also doing well on its merits...

Problem is, within the table-top community Relic Wars was outed as being a pretty sub-par game, and received a chilly as heck reception. Its been out for a year plus, and frankly, no one seems to care. The thing is, Coolminiornot is using/abusing the good faith their last couple games have given them to lure people into clearing stock of a game that no one really seemed to ask for a wider release of.

Beyond "worth" where many of these games are equal, consider variables like size of player-base available to game with, future potential, etc... and by all means, do some homework before you buy.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:
I think the problem here might be that BGG isn't really the place to look up news/reviews/etc... as it pertains to table-top minis games. While I love and adore this place, i've found to get good insights to the quality of a minis game, I need to go beyond these borders.

Perhaps, but at least here no one expects me to put a few man-weeks of labor into making museum-quality artworks before trying a new game. Which is a better reception than I've gotten at some of the minis websites... (No, I'm not bitter. whistle )

Newtruthneomaxim wrote:
Problem is, within the table-top community Relic Wars was outed as being a pretty sub-par game, and received a chilly as heck reception. Its been out for a year plus, and frankly, no one seems to care. The thing is, Coolminiornot is using/abusing the good faith their last couple games have given them to lure people into clearing stock of a game that no one really seemed to ask for a wider release of.

I'd be interested in seeing some of those reviews. I've been poking around, and seen some game play videos. I don't have a problem with the basic system, but the meat seems to be in the abilities: what abilities are out there, what diversity of cards do you need, are the cards purely randomization or does hand management actually matter, things like that. I'm hoping to hear back from some locals who went to GenCon, but more information wouldn't hurt. (I'd also be curious if the game has been undergoing revisions, if the rules were that poorly received.)

I think you're being a bit unfair to CMoN, though. Or perhaps I just want to damn them with faint praise. I don't think their last couple of games have given anyone the impression that they are selling tight rulesets with some miniatures incidentally attached. They are selling pretty miniatures, and that's their main draw. This project, even as you describe it, fits right in: pretty miniatures, sold at a good price point. I don't see them as abusing anyone's good faith, since that's all they're really promising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McCabe
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bwian wrote:

I think you're being a bit unfair to CMoN, though. Or perhaps I just want to damn them with faint praise. I don't think their last couple of games have given anyone the impression that they are selling tight rulesets with some miniatures incidentally attached. They are selling pretty miniatures, and that's their main draw. This project, even as you describe it, fits right in: pretty miniatures, sold at a good price point. I don't see them as abusing anyone's good faith, since that's all they're really promising.

You have to remember, CMoN is just a publisher, not a developer of the games. Specifically, they become the front for people with ideas that are KS worthy. I mean, if you're mainly in it for the minis, then Relic Knights KS is probably worth it. But as far as the game goes, there seem to be far better options.

Also, they seemed to be the only booth I saw with a booth babe at Gen Con. Take that for what its worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, and Relic Knights was the production of the team that would later make Super Dungeon Explore, which remains the worst physical production Coolminiornot has published to date.

That team hasn't thus been involved in anything I would outright trust, even on the model quality aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hotcoffeeburns wrote:
You have to remember, CMoN is just a publisher, not a developer of the games. Specifically, they become the front for people with ideas that are KS worthy. I mean, if you're mainly in it for the minis, then Relic Knights KS is probably worth it. But as far as the game goes, there seem to be far better options.

Sure, but I was replying to someone who was talking about the good will CMoN specifically had built up. And they seem to be fronting pretty miniature selections, which have games attached to them. If they've built up any good will to abuse, I don't think they can lose it by letting through a poorly designed rule set.

hotcoffeeburns wrote:
Also, they seemed to be the only booth I saw with a booth babe at Gen Con. Take that for what its worth.

Her name was associated with Tentacle Bento as well, IIRC. I thought to qualify as a booth babe you had to be a model who didn't know anything about the product. I think she's an employee who likes cheesecake outfits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hotcoffeeburns wrote:
You should ask their Gen Con booth babe. Yes, they had a booth babe.

Might be NSFW, but then again, they had her in the open on the Gen Con floor. shake
http://losthemisphere.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/ge...

Yeah, saw the vid with her.
Loving the pasties, based on the fact her... naughty bits?... take up a large area of skin and that outfit would surely show.

Quote:
Her name was associated with Tentacle Bento as well, IIRC. I thought to qualify as a booth babe you had to be a model who didn't know anything about the product. I think she's an employee who likes cheesecake outfits.

Her name is Marie-Claude I believe. A model rather big into cosplay IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:

A game like WarMachine/Hordes has been shockingly refined/perfected and has a big and growing community built around the fact that the game's rules were/are pretty much perfect and accessible. It stole huge market share from Game's Workshop's 800lbs gorilla for good reason. Malifaux is also doing well on its merits...

Beyond "worth" where many of these games are equal, consider variables like size of player-base available to game with, future potential, etc... and by all means, do some homework before you buy.

Cheers.

I was not aware its been on the market for a year already.
Thanks for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a year during which my hardcore gaming FLGS which has groups and sessions for nearly everything, couldn't sustain a fan-base beyond its first demo'd week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:
Yes, a year during which my hardcore gaming FLGS which has groups and sessions for nearly everything, couldn't sustain a fan-base beyond its first demo'd week.

Interesting. I knew the minis had been out for a while, but I thought the rules were in perpetual "will be out soon" mode. Not that I was checking the forums every day or anything, but I didn't see anything here or on TMP. Or on their own website, come to think of it. It's still not available for sale in their online store, although several miniatures sets are.

I wasn't able to find any reviews out there, either. I checked WarSeer and Bell of Lost Souls, although I'm not too familiar with those sites so I might have missed something. I don't remember seeing anything on The Miniatures Page, beyond some mini release notices. Did you actually give it a spin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:

Interesting. I knew the minis had been out for a while, but I thought the rules were in perpetual "will be out soon" mode. Not that I was checking the forums every day or anything, but I didn't see anything here or on TMP. Or on their own website, come to think of it. It's still not available for sale in their online store, although several miniatures sets are.

I wasn't able to find any reviews out there, either. I checked WarSeer and Bell of Lost Souls, although I'm not too familiar with those sites so I might have missed something. I don't remember seeing anything on The Miniatures Page, beyond some mini release notices. Did you actually give it a spin?

I understand the sets come with quick play rules?
Is it possible thats what has been being used?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dunks
United States
Providence Forge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Bwian wrote:

Newtruthneomaxim wrote:

I understand the sets come with quick play rules?
Is it possible thats what has been being used?

The rules for Relic Knights have never been released, though they will be, in pdf form, after GenCon, both at Coolmimnisornot and at Soda Pop Miniatures. Rules will indeed come with the boxed sets, which are scheduled to be released in May2013. The beta version of the game was demoed at GenCon 2011,and there is a video of that and they have just released a demo video from this year.

I've never played the game, but from what I've seen from the videos, it seems to be well worth checking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.