Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun Guth
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really into the theme of this game and unfortunately never took the time to review the rules or p&p versions from kickstarter, so when I played it today, I was a little disappointed to find that the rules felt rushed and several play scenarios we ran into during our first play-through were inadequately explained and/or broken.

During my first 3-player game tonight, it seemed that the best strategy was to simply leave a damaged piece on your monster until the very end of the game. The rules state that you can only be damaged in one place at any one time, and since the Necromonicon can heal any piece, it was easy to save your necronomicon card until you had all 12 pieces lined up, then simply heal the one damaged piece (if indeed your opponents wanted to waste their own turn damaging you) and win instantly.

It took only a few turns for all of us to end up with 4 or 5 "useless" cards in our hand (such as all eyestalks or splits), at which point the game became more about drawing and passing until you had something you could add to your monster. It definitely needed some sort of hand-dumping discard mechanic.

The table-space rule also wasn't clear - if you forced your opponent to build off the edge, do they lose? Do they just need to move their monster to make more space?

The cards were of decent quality, although a bit sticky and hard to separate, but even for a casual game, I felt like there wasn't anything to think about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fay
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if playing the Necronomicon as your heal card, and there-by completing your Monster is valid. The rules say "Once a player lays down the last required connecting card needed to win, he may immediately play the Mouth card and declare victory!" That seems a tad niggle though. Maybe the Eldar Sign cards would increase the strategy in the game.

I also noticed the cards were sticky and difficult to separate, but otherwise a good internal packaging job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuven Fischer
United States
Bala Cynwyd
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you do that? Can you continue from a gunshot limb? We played it today where you had to repair your limb before you continued to build upon it. (If you had another limb going as a result of a split, it was OK to add to that limb, just not the broken limb. You could also gunshot someone's else's limb before healing yours)

Yeah, I agree... If you could continue a gunshot limb to 12, then just heal and end the game, that would seriously break the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jensen
United States
Hampton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We wound up house ruling that you couldn't continue to grow your god if it was injured. This did lead to us cycling through the deck repeatedly as people kept hunting for the needed repair cards. I realize that it's meant to be a filler game, but for our group it was just lacking something.

I also didn't realize it was going to be a simple re-theme of waterworks. My love of lovecraft bit me on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Guth
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed at the house rules -- we'll try again with the "no building from damaged segments" rule, as well as the elder signs, to see if it helps the gameplay at all.

We're also thinking that it might be more fun to allow multiple gunshot wounds, perhaps limited to the # of players at the table or something. This would let players "gang up" on an obvious leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.