Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, after unboxing my copy of Zombicide, I decided to grab a friend and have a go at the game. After a quick runthrough of the tutorial we chose scenario 2 for our first real game and off we went.

Our first round wasn't even really worth talking about. Basically Wanda sped off towards the exit and never stopped, as our spawn cards never hit the lower right hand spawn, so she literally skated to victory in three turns with no resistance. It was less than enjoyable and left us with a bad taste in our mouths.

The second round was barely more eventful, sadly. Turn two we cracked open the middle building and had a grand total of 3 zombies inside, which were quickly dispatched. We sat in the room overlooking the bottom road and quickly got to work, sitting and searching for two turns. Drawing (among all 6 characters) a pistol, three machetes, two bottles of water and some pistol ammo and 4 zombies, we popped open the lower door, shot three zombies, and walked to victory without much fuss.

I understand these were likely outliers, but it certainly shows how it's hard to accidentally get up into yellow or orange without having 5xp objectives lying on the ground. If the scenario doesn't force you into yellow, there's no reason to try, seeing as better guns outdoes skills when it comes to blue, and few spawn cards do anything terrible in blue, with walkers being easy to carve out of your way in the small numbers the blue cards introduce.

My friend also mentioned how odd it was, theme-wise, that making noise only attracted zombies on the board to you and didn't spawn more, while killing lots of zombies attracted more to your general location (the board) even if you did it in dead silence. I had to agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am waiting for my copy to arrive, but I keep on reading mixed sessions and reviews: some say how fun and AWSOME the game is; some say how dull and easy it is...

I think I'll have to judge by trying out the game by myself, and see if its a keeper or if its an eBay-er

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Rainey
United States
Cookeville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Mission 02 is notoriously a bust and Mission 01 is the widow-maker. Some missions are better than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think mission 2 could be made better with the simple addition of some starting zombies and maybe a couple of objective markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. The game varies greatly depending on the mission. Most are great, but a few don't work all that well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
some say how dull and easy it is...

Well, I think 2 of the reports of bad games were caused by missing important rules, such as spawning zombies when you open doors to a building for the first time. That wasn't the case here, but so far most sessions/reviews I've seen (barring rules errors) have been really positive.

As the others said, not all missions are created equal. Though, I think there should be a good variety of length and difficulty in the missions, but you never want something to be too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too did not connect with all of the scenarios included in the rulebook. However, one of the things that I like best about this game is how easy it is to create and try out your own scenarios. There is a great deal of customizable freedom built into the game. On top of that, win or lose, it is a blast to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roland mcdohl
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nessmk2 wrote:
My friend also mentioned how odd it was, theme-wise, that making noise only attracted zombies on the board to you and didn't spawn more, while killing lots of zombies attracted more to your general location (the board) even if you did it in dead silence. I had to agree.

This bug the hell out of me as well. The only mechanic from the game that doesn't make sense, thematically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played mission 2 tonight and compared to mission 1 it was a cakewalk. We even grabbed the objective just for gits and shiggles.

If we were to play it again, I'd put an objective in the 6B building and make the objectives mandatory and 10 points each.

That'll make it more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this mission today and had some bad rolls kill everyone off. Mission 02 if you choose to not go inside the buildings much doesn't offer a big challenge but it is one that could be easily customized to make you do so. Opening doors to reveal zombies in every room makes it a great deal harder. If you're forced to find items like in mission 01 that'd mean a lot more time inside searching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hines
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zanetheinsane wrote:
Mission 02 is notoriously a bust and Mission 01 is the widow-maker. Some missions are better than others.

I made the mistake of introducing my two sons and my girlfriend to the game using mission 1. Bad idea. I ended up modifying the rules slightly on the fly and it was difficult without being too hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony L
msg tools
Scenario 2 is way too easy if you don't enter the first building next to the spawn point. We beat it easily tonight with a bunch of people who were playing for the first time.

I would alter it by putting an objective at the back of the first building, which lets you pull the zombies down the street, then bust out the door, grab the next objective, and hope for some cool spawns to make things interesting. Possibly add an objective in the southern building.

As it stands, it doesn't really have any reason to ever go into the buildings, and the game at blue level is too easy to gang up and destroy zombies. You can even just kind of absorb wounds as needed if you're all together.

Scenario 10 was much more fun, but we ended up making an on the fly rule that you had to escape from the start point after getting the objectives. We got them sequentially, but even with 5 characters, all we ended up taking was a single wound, but we got all 4 objectives and nobody ended in the red.

A change I would make is that ALL players gain the 5 experience points from objectives. As it was, we could "game" the system to have one person stay back from zombies and kill nothing, and grab the first objective. Then whoever was still at level 1 or 2 grabbed the second objective. By that time, we purposely popped into yellow, grabbed the 3rd objective, and were basically done. We had 3 survivors grab all the sick guns we had, set up shop in the street, mass murdering everything as it walked down the hallways and the other 2 survivors got the last objective.

The unfortunate part of the game, I find, is that it doesn't scale to the size or scope of the objectives, or to the number of players. That's why scenario 1 is so particularly brutal, and the other scenarios are so easy. I mean - once Wanda (the character I was playing) got to orange, she could pretty much win the entire game on her own. Slippery plus double movement, plus 4 total actions? Ridiculous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Patterson
United States
La Fayette
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree... Scenario 2 should have been scenario 1. After a grueling session with scenario 1, we went into 2 with trepidation, only to knock it out 10 minutes later. And again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark keedwell
United Kingdom
weston super mare
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nessmk2 wrote:
So, after unboxing my copy of Zombicide, I decided to grab a friend and have a go at the game. After a quick runthrough of the tutorial we chose scenario 2 for our first real game and off we went.

Our first round wasn't even really worth talking about. Basically Wanda sped off towards the exit and never stopped, as our spawn cards never hit the lower right hand spawn, so she literally skated to victory in three turns with no resistance. It was less than enjoyable and left us with a bad taste in our mouths.

The second round was barely more eventful, sadly. Turn two we cracked open the middle building and had a grand total of 3 zombies inside, which were quickly dispatched. We sat in the room overlooking the bottom road and quickly got to work, sitting and searching for two turns. Drawing (among all 6 characters) a pistol, three machetes, two bottles of water and some pistol ammo and 4 zombies, we popped open the lower door, shot three zombies, and walked to victory without much fuss.

I understand these were likely outliers, but it certainly shows how it's hard to accidentally get up into yellow or orange without having 5xp objectives lying on the ground. If the scenario doesn't force you into yellow, there's no reason to try, seeing as better guns outdoes skills when it comes to blue, and few spawn cards do anything terrible in blue, with walkers being easy to carve out of your way in the small numbers the blue cards introduce.

how did you finish in 3 turns wanda can only move 6 zones max ? for 3 turns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marrk wrote:
how did you finish in 3 turns wanda can only move 6 zones max ? for 3 turns

The shortest path, from starting position to exit, is 14 zones long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This scenario still sucks, even as revised. We meandered through it last night. We've loved Scenarios 1 and 10 so far, though. Eager to try more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I think that scenarios 2 and 7 (even the revised versions) are definitely the weakest ones.

Fortunately there are a lot more and it's easy to make your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.