Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And thus not subject to Automatic Surrender?

Situation was: Lee conquering Harper's Ferry, Baltimore, and Harrisburg. Emancipation Proclamation had not been played, so CSA Diplomatic Victory was scored but we were curious as to whether or not Washington was subject to AS after Baltimore was taken.

We thought Washington must be a port city but didn't find absolute confirmation of that so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a square, so I don't think it is a port.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So does this mean Washington is susceptible to Auto Surrender?

If so, does AS come into effect when Baltimore is taken or does Harrisburg need to be taken as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Washington is vulnerable. However, you will both Baltimore (one city distant) and Harrisburg (two cities distant). There have to be no friendly cities within two moves. Furthermore, because of the No Attack connection between Washington and Harper's Ferry, I think you'll also need Cincinnati, Columbus, Indianapolis, and Wheeling (if not neutral).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Furthermore, because of the No Attack connection between Washington and Harper's Ferry, I think you'll also need Cincinnati, Columbus, Indianapolis, and Wheeling (if not neutral). "

The road between Harper's Ferry and Washington does allow attacks. However, I think you're referring to the mess of 'No Attack' rail lines west of Harper's Ferry. I don't think you'd need Indianapolis but you would need Cincinnati, Columbus, and Wheeling (not to mention, potentially much more besides, depending on how Kentucky goes...).

I think Mr. Jones got a tad too clever on this one. He could have simply said: "Don't even think of trying to cut off Washington because it's simply not allowed."

Of course, he could have also made Washington a port (which is how I think I'll do it from now on...)

That way we won't be hashing this over at all. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Jones
msg tools
You can attack DC from Harpers Ferry. Those "dotted-line" connections are as valid as rail.

I have never seen DC isolated. It's theoretically possible, I guess. But you'd probably have won before then, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Jones
msg tools
And, no, DC is not a port.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.