Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black arrow says that if you deal less than three damage after defense dice are rolled, then you deal three damage. What is taken into account for this calculation? Pierce on the weapon? Surges? Surges spent to buy pierce? If it's after surges, then you are incented to spend surges to get fatigue back since the damage is wasted anyway. But if it's before surges, then the timing gets a little weird - it's less clear to me which hearts and shields are included in the calculation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Pushkar
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yostage wrote:
Black arrow says that if you deal less than three damage after defense dice are rolled, then you deal three damage.

Rule Book pg.9 wrote:
1. Declare Weapon and Target: The attacking player chooses which
of his equipped weapons to use for this attack and declares the target
of the attack (a space containing an enemy figure). The player then
compiles his attack dice into a pool.
2. Roll Dice: The attacking player rolls his dice pool while the defending
player rolls all necessary defense dice. If an attack affects multiple
figures, each figure rolls its defense dice separately.
3. Check Range: When performing a Ranged attack, the attacking
player must roll enough range to reach the target.
4. Spend Surges: After rolling the dice, the attacking player may spend
any surge results to trigger special abilities.
5. Deal Damage: Any damage not canceled by defense dice or other
effects is applied to each affected figure.

If you see at 4th step that if you spend surges to damage and pierce your attack will inflict more than 3 damage, you can go for it. But at this step you can also choose to recover fatigue if you see that boosting attack is pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it depends which part of the clause we use. It says "deal damage", so that implies step 5. But it also says "after defense dice are rolled" which made me think step 2. I think step 5 (after surges) is probably the most consistent interpretation for gameplay though. The target is always going to lose at least three hearts unless you miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exar Kun
France
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry for the necro, but I was wondering the same thing as Yostage, and would like some more input.

The way it's written makes me think it's after step 2.
But that would make it very powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Peters
Germany
flag msg tools
In my opinion it would make no sense after Step 2 because you cant inflict damage when you dont have enough Range (Step 3).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.M. Proc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Arrow is like an insurance policy... After all the steps to normally resolving an attack (through step 5), if you don't deal at least 3 damage, Black Arrow bumps it back up to 3 damage, regardless of any attack dice/defense dice/OL cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yostage wrote:
I guess it depends which part of the clause we use. It says "deal damage", so that implies step 5. But it also says "after defense dice are rolled" which made me think step 2.

The "Deal Damage" phase is also "after defense dice are rolled."

I think that it is written the way it is to clarify that it is the sum total damage that you are considering, not how many hearts are rolled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exar Kun
France
flag msg tools
mb
Well, if it's written this way for clarification, I find it confusing

Given that step 5 is always after step 2, that part in parenthesis would be better removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If it weren't there, other people would find it confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They should just put rulebook and card text in programming language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Porter
United States
Gig Harbor
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have run in to this in our group, and we were spending surges after dealing 3 damage. It is really powerful! I have submitted this to FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Logan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Apologies for the briefly off topic post)

soddy wrote:

If you see at 4th step that if you spend surges to damage and pierce your attack will inflict more than 3 damage, you can go for it. But at this step you can also choose to recover fatigue if you see that boosting attack is pointless.

I completely missed that you can spend surges to recover fatigue. As the OL, this is guaranteed to bring a lot of hate my way when I inform my group

(Continue on topic disscussions...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.