Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Belcher
United States
Lancaster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know about the Tech Commander, and the Advanced Tech deck that's available somewhere, but in looking to expand my Risk 2210 a bit, I found I'm just looking for something a bit different.

So, this is my "tech" deck. I'm not completely set on how it's going to work - cost per card, whether they count against your command cards per turn limit, whether you need a commander (or a space station) to purchase them, etc. Right now, they're built pretty much off of the Risk: Godstorm Magic miracle cards, with a few abilities thrown in that feel more like Risk: Legacy.

These are played when you get them, and stay in play for the remainder of the game. To me, this feels more like "technology" or "research" than the other Tech-themed Command decks, because once unlocked, it (almost always) sticks with you permanently.

Accelerated Construction - Receive twice as many MODs from space stations.

Advanced Weapons - You win ties when attacking.

Cloning - Spend only 2 energy tokens, instead of 3, to recruit commanders on your turn.

Distributed Production - Gain 2 additional MODs for each continent you control at the start of each of your turns.

Efficient Energy - Gain 1 additional energy token at the start of each of your turns.

Energy Shields - Spend 1 energy token instead of losing a defending MOD. You may do this as many times as you have energy tokens to spend.

Flexible Infrastructure - Gain 4 energy tokens once each turn if you choose to collect 2 fewer MODs at the start of each of your turns.

Indoctrination Field - You do not lose units when expanding into empty cities.

Investment - Diplomat - Draw a Diplomat command card at the start of each of your turns.

Investment - Land - Draw a Land command card at the start of each of your turns.

Investment - Naval - Draw a Naval command card at the start of each of your turns.

Investment - Nuclear - Draw a Nuclear command card at the start of each of your turns.

Investment - Space - Draw a Space command card at the start of each of your turns.

Nanotech Augmentations - Reroll all 1’s on d8s for attacking or defending commanders (but not for other units).

Orbital Weapons Platform - Draw a Nuclear command card at the start of each of your turns. Play that card immediately without spending any energy tokens.

Precision Targeting - When you draw a territory card for a command card, draw two territory cards and return one to either the top or bottom of the territory deck.

Prediction Engine - When you spend energy tokens for your turn-order bid, add +3 to the total.

Sleeper Agents - Discard Sleeper Agents to cancel the effects of any command card just played. R&D cards can’t be cancelled.

Streamlined Production - Gain 1 additional MOD at the start of each of your turns.

Teleportation - You can make your free move (Fortify) at any point during your turn, and whenever you make a free move you may move units between any two territories you control, even if there is no safe path between them.

-------------------------------------------
Some notes:
I'm trying to preserve the 2210 language as much as possible, even though more modern editions use better language (I'm thinking the Maneuver terminology, vs the old "Fortify" or "Free Move").

Distributed Production strikes me as maybe being too much on 2210's "continent"-heavy board. We're talking the difference between a standard Risk (including Godstorm) set of 6 continents, and 2210's 14 separate "continents". I'll probably lower it to just 1 extra per continent.

Energy Shields seems like a massive defensive boon, but I'm going to try it as-is for now. This is how it works in Godstorm, and I can't remember it ever busting things too badly. But 2210 does have more "energy" than Godstorm has "faith", I think. Ah well, we'll see.

Indoctrination Field requires me to note that I am adding "cities" to my 2210, from one of the other modern games. I don't want to mark up my board, so no Legacy cities - I'll use the actual city markers from another copy of Risk.

Teleportation has a lot going on. It's actually both of the Saharan Republic's starting ability options from Legacy, rolled into one ability. I went this route, for now, because neither of the abilities really felt like it could stand on its own. They're interesting, but not all that potent.

Anyways, just wanted to share. Enjoy, and feel free to leave feedback (obviously).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea... It's kinda like factions, but it changes during the game. How would you acquire them? By spending energy chips? Hmm.... would there be any way to block someone from using R/D?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Belcher
United States
Lancaster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
Interesting idea... It's kinda like factions, but it changes during the game. How would you acquire them? By spending energy chips? Hmm.... would there be any way to block someone from using R/D?

Right, just like the Godstorm game's Magic cards, you'd pick them up during play.

Right now I'm trying to decide on a cost - or at least a cost for our first game with them. I'm leaning toward 2 energy each, because they don't require a commander. But really, I think they could be "balanced" at 1 energy each. They might have more "shelf appeal" than other cards, but really, past round 1, most R&D cards aren't really giving you any more of a benefit than most other Command Cards.

As for blocking them - hadn't really thought of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R/D stay active indefinately though. Hmm.. 2 sounds good to me. Would you buy a card at random? IE, do they stay in a shuffled deck until you decide to draw one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Belcher
United States
Lancaster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
R/D stay active indefinately though. Hmm.. 2 sounds good to me. Would you buy a card at random? IE, do they stay in a shuffled deck until you decide to draw one?

Yeah, I'm gonna try it at 2, and at 1, in different games, and compare.

And yeah, you draw one at random, just like Command cards. Though I may have some special instances (command cards, or Legacy-style rewards/unlocks) that will allow someone to do something like "Draw 2 R&D cards; Choose 1 to keep and discard the other."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds good. Also, have you considered having the individual R/D cards have activation costs instead of the purchase cost? IE: it costs 1 EC to buy each card then 0-2 EC to play it after you buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Lizarraga
Mexico
Merida
Yucatan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Prediction Engine - When you spend energy tokens for your turn-order bid, add +3 to the total.

This looks excessively too powerful to me! Turn order is the game mechanic that most drastically affects the tide of the game.

Whoever gets the last turn during the last year has a huge chance of winning, so bidding for turn order has a lot of impact. I don't think that giving such advantage (+3) would be balanced at all even with the other R&D cards.

With this you could even be bidding 0 energy tokens on each turn and still be draining most of the energy tokens of the rest of the players (4x4=16) if they really want to get to pick before you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axel wrote:
Quote:

This looks excessively too powerful to me! Turn order is the game mechanic that most drastically affects the tide of the game.

Whoever gets the last turn during the last year has a huge chance of winning, so bidding for turn order has a lot of impact. I don't think that giving such advantage (+3) would be balanced at all even with the other R&D cards.

With this you could even be bidding 0 energy tokens on each turn and still be draining most of the energy tokens of the rest of the players (4x4=16) if they really want to get to pick before you do.
it's definately useful. This one would be a good candidate for having a somewhat higher cost than some others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to type up costs under the assumption that you buy these cards for 1 energy. The actual cost listed is simply the cost to play it after you've already bought it.

-=-Accelerated Construction - Receive twice as many MODs from space stations.
definately worth paying 1 for. A higher cost? nah. yeah it's common to have more than 1 spaceport, but playing a card to upgrade them isn't worth it if you pay more than what you get out of it.

-=-Advanced Weapons - You win ties when attacking.
this is kinda scary. maybe 3 or 4

-=-Cloning - Spend only 2 energy tokens, instead of 3, to recruit commanders on your turn.
0 yeah it makes commanders chaeper, but again, why bother if it costs more than recruiting normally?

-=-Distributed Production - Gain 2 additional MODs for each continent you control at the start of each of your turns.
1, in part because you need a continent, this is pretty easy, but it's still not something you can count on. er... actually that was assuming it only applied once. since it's EACH colony... 3

-=-Efficient Energy - Gain 1 additional energy token at the start of each of your turns.
0, why? in a 5 turn game it'll only give you 4 energy... a higher cost would make it totally worthless.

-=-Energy Shields - Spend 1 energy token instead of losing a defending MOD. You may do this as many times as you have energy tokens to spend.
0, why? you have to spend energy to use the ability.

-=-Flexible Infrastructure - Gain 4 energy tokens once each turn if you choose to collect 2 fewer MODs at the start of each of your turns.
0, it has a cost to use the ability

-=-Indoctrination Field - You do not lose units when expanding into empty cities.
0, the benefit is somewhat weak, and situational.

-=-Investment - Diplomat - Draw a Diplomat command card at the start of each of your turns.
-=-Investment - Land - Draw a Land command card at the start of each of your turns.
-=-Investment - Naval - Draw a Naval command card at the start of each of your turns.
-=-Investment - Nuclear - Draw a Nuclear command card at the start of each of your turns.
-=-Investment - Space - Draw a Space command card at the start of each of your turns.
does this let you circumvent the command card limit? if so 2, if not 0.

-=-Nanotech Augmentations - Reroll all 1's on d8s for attacking or defending commanders (but not for other units).
hmm... I'd go with 1 or 2, especially since it only applies while rolling a D8 on attacks.

-=-Orbital Weapons Platform - Draw a Nuclear command card at the start of each of your turns. Play that card immediately without spending any energy tokens.
2 it's like Havok, but with no choice in what card to use.

-=-Precision Targeting - When you draw a territory card for a command card, draw two territory cards and return one to either the top or bottom of the territory deck.
1, it's useful... but not THAT useful

-=-Prediction Engine - When you spend energy tokens for your turn-order bid, add +3 to the total.
3, it more than pays for itself after 2 turns

-=-Sleeper Agents - Discard Sleeper Agents to cancel the effects of any command card just played. R&D cards can't be cancelled.
This is an odd one... hmm.. I'd make it cost 1. most cards you could counter with this aren't that expensive.

-=-Streamlined Production - Gain 1 additional MOD at the start of each of your turns.
0 it's weak, useful, but weak

-=-Teleportation - You can make your free move (Fortify) at any point during your turn, and whenever you make a free move you may move units between any two territories you control, even if there is no safe path between them.
4, yeah it's that strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.