14 Posts

King of Tokyo» Forums » General

Subject: Why rating so low? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D K
Sweden
flag msg tools
Why is KoT rated so low? I have shown this game to a large number of people, ages 8-50, and most people love it. I have played it with people that last tried monopoly 20 years ago, and I have played it with people like myself that plays lots of boardgames and usually prefer strategy games without chance, and all categories love it equally much.

I usually avoid dice games, and any other games with a large luck factor, but I think this game is brilliant.

So why is this game not rated higher here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not a low rating at all IMO, just think about how many games there are in the database. there are plenty of really fantastic games released over the years that are rated much lower.

It may not have reached its peak rating yet though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
LordHellfury wrote:
Decay wrote:
So why is this game not rated higher here?

Because people are too busy playing and enjoying the game to worry about what other people think about a game that they enjoy.

In all fairness to the game, the site and the contributors here, it is rated rather highly already.

Now two questions for you:

Why does it matter what the game is rated? What relevance does BGG ratings hold?

He could just be curious. Or be wondering whether there's un underlying flaw (another HH) he hasn't discovered yet. Or be worried that it becomes unfun after a while.

Why are you so curious about why he's curious?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An average rating of 7.36 is NOT low. The geek rank of 165 is quite respectable, especially for a lighter game at a website that typically rates heavy games higher (I don't agree with that heavy=better sentiment, but that seems to be just the way things work around here)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
An average rating of 7.36 is NOT low. The geek rank of 165 is quite respectable, especially for a lighter game at a website that typically rates heavy games higher (I don't agree with that heavy=better sentiment, but that seems to be just the way things work around here)

Exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D K
Sweden
flag msg tools
I agree, the rating is not low. My question should have been:

Why is the rating not higher?

Judging from my own experiences with the game, and peoples reactions, I would have guessed a higher rating. I think this game is an instant classic.

Anyone who does not like the game that can explain why?

No right or wrong here of course, just wondering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
its a yahtzee style dice rolling game. I think I would have a lot of fun with the game (that's why I'm subscribed and would like to purchase it at some time) but a lot of BGGers aren't that into that style of game. Even the highly regarded Roll Through the Ages has settled into a 7.04 Average Rating.

I suggest you browse the BGG database by geekrank. Think about how many people you played this game with are the type to go onto BGG and log plays and rank games. I doubt its that many, even in my group I'd say there is at most two or three hardcore BGGers. And often these guys are the geekier types who like heavy games. Hence why the BGG rankings skew high. Thier user base is not the type who would be "suggesting it and never turning down a game" (8) of KoT even if they think this is a "good game usually willing to play" (7).

Have you looked at the "comments" about the game? If you haven't started perusing that part of BGG you're totally missing out on one of the best features of BGG! You can leave comments (not merely numerically rate) each game in your collection. These comments are public and you can access them in the header bar of each the game entries.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/items/boardgame/7032...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D K
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thanks! Reading the comments was interesting.

I get the impression that most people on bgg do think it is a fun and great game, but some seem to think that a game should be deeper and more complex to deserve a 9 or a 10. (I disagree.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Z
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:

He could just be curious. Or be wondering whether there's un underlying flaw (another HH) he hasn't discovered yet. Or be worried that it becomes unfun after a while.

Why are you so curious about why he's curious?

Out of curiosity, what is HH?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Halifax Hammer, it was a strategy that apparently broke the game A Few Acres of Snow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Burgess
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Decay wrote:
Thanks! Reading the comments was interesting.

I get the impression that most people on bgg do think it is a fun and great game, but some seem to think that a game should be deeper and more complex to deserve a 9 or a 10. (I disagree.)

You're likely also comparing this to other rating systems. Literally the #1 game is an 8.3ish.

As of now KoT is 150 out of thousands and thousands of games. This does make the score a great one. It's just you're likely used to seeing 10's for great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I just got the opportunity to play this game yesterday and I had a blast playing it (twice - I wanted another game play also). Right now its on my radar to get but the stores I checked are out of stock, so I'm looking to trade for it.

This is one of those games that i was completely unaware of and would not have looked twice if I saw it sitting on the store shelf. After playing it, I was hooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The short answer is, because the average rating people give it is lower than those other games.

I haven't played this, but am looking to try it out. It looks really fun and I could see myself playing many games of it, but it doesn't compare to Dominion, of which I have played thousands of games. BGG defines a 10 as a game that "I always want to play and expect that will never change." That's Dominion for me. I can't imagine playing KoT thousands of times. I could see playing a few rounds of KoT in one sitting, but I would play Dominion nonstop for an entire day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.