Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Ooms
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Just went to goko.com to see how things were going, and it now shows this:

Quote:
Hello Everyone

As you probably know by now, the first 48 hours of Goko’s public life didn’t go well.
As we moved out of beta and into the live world, we learned that we had problems
with our backend and weren’t able to scale fast enough to support the load.
As a result, we experienced numerous problems and created a really bad experience
for the fans trying to access our games or even get on our website.

We sincerely apologize to the fans trying to play our games and to the broader tech
and HTML5 communities that showed so much support for our vision at launch.
We've made the decision to roll our games and game site back into beta for testing.
We will go live again when it's ready. We’d love to say that will happen tomorrow or
next week, but that’s not the right way to proceed.

If you want to help us test the games before they go live again, or test future games
from Goko, please click here to become a beta tester. Everyone will eventually get in
and we’ll add people as quickly as we can.

Sincerely,

The Goko Team

Probably one of the better decisions they could have made, but embarrassing nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GazeboHeartAttack wrote:
Probably one of the better decisions they could have made, but embarrassing nonetheless.

Embarrasing, but I respect an honest apology. Too few businesses (and indeed, people) know how to give one.

From what I got to play, it definitely had potential. The interface
was slick and felt much more like a boardgame than, say, isotropic.

Granted, it did break when I played an action card too quickly, but it was sweet until then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DuckOfDeath V
United States
Hillsboro
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like they will need some stress testing in the Beta. So when they get a fix they will likely add more users who didn't get in the first time. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeC0 wrote:
Sounds like they will need some stress testing in the Beta. So when they get a fix they will likely add more users who didn't get in the first time. cool

Isn't that kind of like the slogan some restaurants use :

"If it's not fresh, your next one's free".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Pearson
United States
landrum
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Any word on the lack of offline play? They could go ahead and fix that too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wonder what the chances of a new DEV getting ahold of this one and making a native app are now. I'll go back to the unofficial one for now, it may lack expansions but it was great other than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Whadda mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
MCollier wrote:
wonder what the chances of a new DEV getting ahold of this one and making a native app are now. I'll go back to the unofficial one for now, it may lack expansions but it was great other than that.

Why native again? How about goko just finishes what they started?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ooms
United States
flag msg tools
mb
monteslu wrote:
MCollier wrote:

I agree. There's a lot of complaints about the app not being an app but a wrapper. That doesn't really bother me personally, as long as it works. I think the Goko concept is actually kind of cool. Being able to play on my phone, and continue the same games (and have the same expansions) on my computer sounds very nice.

I'm mostly worried about the pricing of said expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrr
msg tools
mbmb
monteslu wrote:
MCollier wrote:

Because native apps work better, but you knew that already ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bates
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anyone else out there that does not find this encouraging, or am I the only one.... It seems like a lot of publishers are putting a lot of faith in an unproven company and a platform that seems shakie at best.... Cross platform is great but working is better.... I don't really hear a lot of complaints about all the existing platforms for this game, but they had to go reinvent the wheel so to speak. So the real question now is, since the took it back to beta, do we get to keep the "working" platforms or do they have to still cease and desist....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the working versions have been taken down that I know of, and I highly doubt that RGG would take the risk of forcing them to come down until the full version is available. If they did leave that kind of void, it would most certainly be filled with unauthorized clones in short order.

As it sits, there is little reason for home-coders to produce a Dominion knock-off, as there are several good online versions. RGG controls these (though agreements with various developers), so they at least have that going for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll admit, I wasn't paying too keen attention (I'd rather be playing Androminion ), but, i was NOT aware this thing left beta. I thought it was STILL in beta. So what I and everyone else heard of WAS the full, actual product!? Yikes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hymowitz
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elkabong wrote:
None of the working versions have been taken down that I know of,

The Hammer app is no longer available in the iPhone app store. At least, I can't find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to reserve judgement until I have downloaded the official app store version. Hopefully it will be playable without being connected to the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hymie wrote:
elkabong wrote:

The Hammer app is no longer available in the iPhone app store. At least, I can't find it.

What was that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bates
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
hymie wrote:
elkabong wrote:

What was that?

the Hammer app was a full working version of Dominion (with no expansions) for i(Pod, Phone, Pad). It still works, but you would have had to download it already. It was a very convenient version that could be played online vs 1 other player, or offline vs up to 3 AI's. I liked it better than Isotropic just because it was so convenient to play on my iPad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GazeboHeartAttack wrote:
monteslu wrote:
MCollier wrote:

I agree. There's a lot of complaints about the app not being an app but a wrapper. That doesn't really bother me personally, as long as it works. I think the Goko concept is actually kind of cool. Being able to play on my phone, and continue the same games (and have the same expansions) on my computer sounds very nice.

I'm mostly worried about the pricing of said expansions.

This is also my biggest complaint, and why it's pretty much DOA for me. They'd have to slash the prices of expansions at least in half to have me even look at it. 12 bucks per big box (18 for dark ages) is way too much.

But it doesn't stop there. My big complaint is that we lost the likes of Isotropic for something that's not even really an improvement, and they want to charge us an exorbitant amount of money to play (if you want to play more than the base game). No offline support for when I'm on the go, and no async (which isn't a deal breaker, but really would have been a nice addition).

Really though, if they dropped the price of expansions by 50-75% I'd still consider it with Isotropic gone. For now, I'll just live in a world without online Dominion. I still have my dead tree version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Kane
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hymie wrote:
elkabong wrote:

Glad I still have it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chardris77 wrote:
Any word on the lack of offline play? They could go ahead and fix that too...

Play is currently offline, yes. But that's probably not what you meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Keown
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any new word on this? I don't even see an access portal for beta testers. Is Beta actually ongoing, still halted, or is this now dead in the water? If it's not dead any news on when they'll try again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have restarted with beta. My understanding is that all people who were active on the forums were asked to rejoin and play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ooms
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I had signed up for Beta on 'launch day' but haven't heard anything. I don't think they've been adding players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Jonah42 wrote:
Any new word on this? I don't even see an access portal for beta testers. Is Beta actually ongoing, still halted, or is this now dead in the water? If it's not dead any news on when they'll try again?

My understanding is that it's a public beta this time; if you try to get in they will probably add you within a few days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everly

Richmond
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received an email invitation to the beta today so it looks like they are adding people. So this is the first time I have gotten to see the interface. So far it is easy to navigate (although once I accidentally moved into my buy phase while I still had actions and action cards to play and discovered that I couldn't go back.

One other thing that I noticed that may be of interest. I don't know if the pricing that is up is true, but the complete expansions of Seaside, Intrigue, and Prosperity are shown in the store for 70 Gokins each (that is $7 in our money) or you can purchase them in a bundle for 200 Gokins ($20)

Now that makes me feel a lot better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.