Subject: Picking heroes question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, just wondering how the people out there do this, If the heroes pick their heroes by hand they can make really good "game breaking" combos.
Our group just decide which class they want to play and they take 4 random cards from that group per hero and pick one.
Cheers =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd do it the way the rule book suggests. Choose Hero, then choose Class, then choose Skills. What are these game breaking combos that you have found?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 2 hero group our heroes just pick. Seems like you'd be losing out on a huge strategy element of the game if it was randomised. Particularly as the heroes are up against it from the first act.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dale
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I allow the players to review the character cards (an even bigger stack now the Conv kit has arrived) and also the class cards too before choosing as a group what they'll use.

I select the open group monsters once I know who they are playing - they don't have it all their own way.

In a one-off game I can see your method being useful - I just know the campaign won't be as much fun for my group if they're stuck with a character they hate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we do this in a 4 player game, there are combos like Toble with Jonas or with Nannok that it's like =O more even with Jonas being a healer.
And yeah I see your point, but as I say they pick their classes as they want and then, they take 4 heroes one even took 6 due he disliked em all.
I ll ask em again =)
Thank you all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
What are these game breaking combos that you have found?

Tomble Burrowell as Thief
Jonas the Kind as SpiritSpeaker
Nannok as Knight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lindberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
There is nothing in the rules preventing the hero players to choose any hero. The heroes can put together a nasty group when selecting freely. Especially if they are power gamers and have all the heroes from the conversion kit to choose from. The OL have freedom of choice when it comes to open monster groups so it may balance things out although the combos from a synergised hero team seems to be strong. (E.g http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...)

It might be boring in the long run to see the same heroes/monsters chosen each time then there is time for house rules like:

* Hero team players draw X random hero cards from each archtype and then forms a party.
* OL draws random monsters until he have Y monsters that can be in the open monster group and selects among them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let the heroes pick. It is playing by the rules, and it is fair, since the OL can do a lot of broken things as well. Once the Heroes have won a few campaigns, then you can change it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
Let the heroes pick. It is playing by the rules, and it is fair, since the OL can do a lot of broken things as well. Once the Heroes have won a few campaigns, then you can change it up.

Yeah it wasn't only my decision also the players agree with it, but yeah next one we'll try in that way =)
Thank you all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We like a little "forced randomness", so we let the heroes pick an Archetype, then deal out 3 random of that type, and pick one hero, then pick the class. Of course we're playing with the Conversion Kit

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.