Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than using cards to represent goods on planets, I wanted to use tokens (little wooden blocks in four colours, perhaps). This would mean that every card was available to be drawn, though, since none would be used a goods (and then discarded).

Would this 'break' the game, or make it less strategic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
It would make it more certain which cards can get into the players hands and which can't, and thus would probably make the strategy slightly more foreseeable and thus more boring.

The easy way out is that whenever you place a token as a good, you discard the topmost card from the deck as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer intentionally did it the way he did so that, on your second time through the deck, there are still cards that no one has seen yet. This means that (for example) even if you know your opponent(s) will always keep Terraforming Guild if they draw it, it's still possible to draw Terraforming Guild because it may have been used as a good. This keeps the possibility space more wide open.

Interestingly, the degree to which this effect operates is greater in a game with a lot of Produce/Consume engines than in one with few of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple answer = yes it would
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iron James Rackham
msg tools
mbmbmb
A different simple answer = No, it wouldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
Rather than using cards to represent goods on planets, I wanted to use tokens (little wooden blocks in four colours, perhaps). This would mean that every card was available to be drawn, though, since none would be used a goods (and then discarded).

Would this 'break' the game, or make it less strategic?

If you wanted to preserve the 'card uncertainty' element of the game, you could place a good token *and* mill a card from the draw deck to the discard pile every time a good is produced. This would still be slightly different from the original game mechanically (such cards could get included in a reshuffle when they would normally have still been on-a-world and excluded from a reshuffle) but at that point it is a minimal impact on game balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
These are all things that I suspected. I like the idea of certain cards getting passed over, so I won't be going with this.

Even though the 'place a good, trash a card' idea would work, it's fiddlier than the original problem I had, which was that the cards-as-goods obscured the icons if you put them on top, and were fiddly to put under.

Oh well. Thank you for the answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iron James Rackham
msg tools
mbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
Even though the 'place a good, trash a card' idea would work, it's fiddlier than the original problem I had, which was that the cards-as-goods obscured the icons if you put them on top, and were fiddly to put under.

We used to do the "place a good, trash a card" and still found that the benefits of using cubes far outweighed the drawbacks. After a while we stopped trashing cards too as we didn't feel the impact of "not all cards being seen" was that important to us. Admittedly, this is partly because most of our games of this nowadays is 2p, so the deck is almost never exhausted and thus it doesn't matter at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
You won't obscure the icons as much if you place the goods-as-cards towards the right and not straight on top, but I'm sure you're doing it like that already It's still a bit of a problem for cards with explanatory text, but I don't find it to be gamebreaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Long answer: search will yield about ten of these threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Yes.

Long answer: search will yield about ten of these threads.

Eleven, now.

Here's a good one that I should have found: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/631750/6-reasons-why-i-prefe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
You won't obscure the icons as much if you place the goods-as-cards towards the right and not straight on top, but I'm sure you're doing it like that already It's still a bit of a problem for cards with explanatory text, but I don't find it to be gamebreaking.

We occasionally place the goods under the worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
azuredarkness wrote:

Well, and how about Galactic Scavengers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy44 wrote:
azuredarkness wrote:

Well, and how about Galactic Scavengers?

That's easy enough... just reverse the position of it all... the good goes on the bottom, the scavenged cards go on top. Since both sides of this card can be in use, this one may be obscured with no elegant way of leaving the card text visible. I tell people that this is one card that should be memorized
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.