BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Women and Gaming

Subject: Dexterity games to socialize with girls? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are dexterity games a good way to socialize with girls/women?

First things first, I'm not saying that "thinky" games are more suited for guys. This post isn't meant to be very serious, it's just fun and games.

When having women over (you know, those of the common type that aren't into three hour games), are dexterity games a good option for a fun time?

Dexterity games are often less competitive, losing isn't bad since you didn't devote a 60-minute strategy to it, and generate some laughs.

It also gets some juices flowing, games like Ubongo or Mondo can create adrenalines, which can make the evening energetic, instead of analytical. Which may be a good thing if you're, for instance, going out later during the evening.

Two thoughts:
- In some games you may accidentally touch hands (Jungle Speed, Halli Galli). Do you feel these are innapropriate? How would you react if a guy/woman bumped into your hand on purpose?
- Do you consider dexterity games childish. Is it silly for a man to play these games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Dexterity girls to socialize with games?
Loopin' Louie

Fun for kids of any age or gender? Yes.

Silly? Yes, but still a good choice for tough guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever people want to play is good for socializing.

I'll play pretty much anything though not a great fan of deck builders.

In fact, I recently saw a review for

Dungeon Fighter

And I have to get this game! You don't roll dice, you throw them at targets in multiple crazy ways like from under your leg or behind your back!

Sounds like hella fun!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon fighter is awesome!!! I bought the German copy and have played it a couple of times and it's been a lot of fun. Especially when we were all jumping up and down, and trying to bounce the dice off elbows, the box, head-butt the dice...lol, if Rhinoceros's could count, I'd give it 5 rhino paws up (wait they only have 4 right? hehe---and they're not paws).

Dexterity games are great. I really enjoy them, and I usually bring 1 or 2 each game day. Since the majority of my gaming group is guys...99%-ish depending on the day, they're up for any game.

I think for games like Jungle Speed etc that's totally fine, hand bumping will probably occur a lot. Jungle Speed: Rabbids has a smaller rabbit piece, and also Ghost Blitz also has those small piece Sometimes even when you play a Euro or another game, and there's a bank/supply pile and everyone reaches in the pile to distribute or get their tokens there will be hand bumping also.

I have the game Trigger! and haven't brought that out yet, because I was thinking about the same thing. I think in my gaming group - since we've played games with each other at least 5+ times I think we're all pretty comfortable in playing these kind of games.

I think it's fine for guys to play dexterity games, my beau won't play most board games, but if it's a dexterity game and he can have a chance at winning in it, he'll play it - which for me is awesome. So any game I can get him to play is a bonus

Just as long as you're having fun, and your friends have fun any board game style? is fine

Sometimes games like this can bring a gaming group closer together and helps bridge that gap from acquaintances to friends. So just go give them a go

**I think I put too many smilie faces in this post hehe**
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think dexterity or any party games that won't make a newcomer feel stupid are great icebreakers. The only thing you'd have to watch with purposeful hand bumping would be being too aggressive or obvious maybe.

Good plan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A word of caution. Not everyone is good at dexterity games and if some people have more experience or practice with a certain game, it can put the newbs at a disadvantage.

Otherwise, dexterity games can be fun.

I'd actually suggest push-your-luck low strategy games as a great icebreaker and a more level playing field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great subject line error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
That's a great subject line error.

Geert Vinaskov wrote:
Dexterity girls to socialize with games?

Oh, Switched that around. I'll fix it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rickards
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
An Australian Tabletop Podcast and Radio show
badge
dicemencometh.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Click Clack Lumberjack has gone down really well at a few pub-based gaming nights in mixed company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Girljon Minidruid
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Dungeon Fighter. Played it rather recently, and had a blast - which isn't usually how I feel after losing twice in a row! And since it's a cooperative game with a rather humorous premise, there's less pressure on first-time players to keep up with players who may have more experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Andrews
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm guessing I'm an uncommon girl then, I prefer 3 hour games

Played a fair bit of Bamboleo and Bausack recently and both seem very popular Animal upon Animal is good for a giggle too

In some games you may accidentally touch hands (Jungle Speed, Halli Galli). Do you feel these are innapropriate? How would you react if a guy/woman bumped into your hand on purpose?

No, it's the 21st century.

Do you consider dexterity games childish. Is it silly for a man to play these games?

Again, no, it's the 21st century
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised there hasn't been someone suggesting Titty Grab yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well up until now people have been trying to remain on-topic and respectful of the female gamers here and women in general.

Especially since this is the "Women's Forum", hyper-sexualization and blatant objectification really isn't appropriate.

It would be greatly appreciated by many of the women here if (one questionable joke post already deleted with gracious courtesy and apologies extended to the forum from the poster - Thank you sir) and titty grab suggestions were removed*. RSP is the proper forum for those kinds of jokes and suggestions.

*If they it is removed I will then delete this post as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
/subscribed/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
garygarison wrote:
/subscribed/

I'm all of out of popcorn. Damn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
sandrewsuk wrote:
I'm guessing I'm an uncommon girl then, I prefer 3 hour games :P

Played a fair bit of Bamboleo and Bausack recently and both seem very popular :) Animal upon Animal is good for a giggle too :)

In some games you may accidentally touch hands (Jungle Speed, Halli Galli). Do you feel these are innapropriate? How would you react if a guy/woman bumped into your hand on purpose?

Do you consider dexterity games childish. Is it silly for a man to play these games?

Again, no, it's the 21st century :P

You know, with many different cultures and countries in the world, a pat answer like 'No, it's the 21st century' is not as rock solid as you might think. Just sayin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
Well, there was this post, so I'm not frankly surprised that Titty Grab gets raised here as opposed to in RSP.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7866033#7866033

*yeah, and I'll delete this too if there is some common respect.

Well, you may have a point but you know what? I see it as an obvious derailment of the OP's issue. The OP is looking for a way to meet girls through gaming that will be effective and not turn them off.

Everywhere you go on BGG people are taken to task for going off topic. But if someone objects to a troll post then that person's post is for some reason seen as unreasonable! And blah blah blah!

And why can't there be one friggin' thread where someone doesn't troll? And why in the heck can't it be here in the Women and Gaming Forum? And I already know the answer to that. As long as there are moronic idiots in the world who are under the mistaken impression that making that same tired statement is clever and funny...it's just so boring and tiresome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Twister

Surprised this hasnt been mentioned.

On a serious note, I have had success with:

Bausack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played dexterity games with my wife, my daughters and my granddaughters, so I'll weigh in. Tumblin-Dice gets the most play, and works with all ages.

The youngsters go for Gulo Gulo and Animal Upon Animal, and we're all happy to play with them. Strong Stuff! didn't get quite as good a reception, but we haven't given it much chance yet.

For the grown ups, Jungle Speed is great. Carrom is also great, but not as easy to get to the table. Elk Fest gets played some as well, but not all that much since the arrival of Tumblin-Dice.

Ones that didn't fly with my crew, regardless of gender: Sorry! Sliders and Click Clack Lumberjack. I haven't entirely given up on Click Clack Lumberjack, but nobody else likes it much. Sorry! Sliders is history - with Tumblin-Dice and Carrom available, nobody is ever going to play that again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
I just want to throw this out there: people may end up in this vaguely-out-of-bounds-but-not-really section of BGG because the thread is linked to on the BGG main page. I had zero idea that I was in the "women's forum" until some people specifically said that. I, as many may, just thought I was in a BGG forum without any special meaning other than exchanging ideas about board games and the people who play them.

So, about distasteful comments, people need to start getting in the habit of flagging them instead of directly responding. Clicking the red X in a person's post allows you the options of hiding their post and/or reporting them. Enough people flag it and it gets auto-hidden. Whether the sleight was intentional or just a misguided attempt to be funny the chastising should be conducted through direct messaging or the supplied tools.

============================

Anyways, to the topic I actually came here for:

There's really no reason to phrase the question as being specifically for women. There's equally as many men in the world as women who view gaming as an inherently un-fun or interesting concept. Realistically the question should be "Dexterity games to socialize with people".

To that end I'm also a little perplexed why it has to specifically be dexterity games. As socializing seems to be the primary goal then wouldn't party games be equally as viable? Party games often invlove socializing, teaming up, opportunities for humour, and avenues to learn more about each other. Games like Apples to Apples, Wits and Wagers, Pictionary, or Charades would qualify.

Specifically for Dexterity games I've never seen anyone dislike Crokinole. It requires going out of the house but Horeshoes and bowling are crowd pleasers too. Jungle Speed is also a social dexterity game but don't play with anyone who has long fingernails.

Oh ya, and card games are a decent thing for non gamers. Hearts, Spades, Wizard, Uno, 11nmmt, and President could be winners. Even Poker maybe?

Man, when I was younger I'd go over to a friend's family's house with my girlfriend and we would play Wizard virtually every Monday night for about 3 hours. Great and easy to learn trick taking game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no, a guy made a joke! He's not allowed in the Women's Locker Room! Lets all go to the Men's Gaming forum so we can swing them thangs around without anyone crying about it! Oh wait... That doesn't exist because it would be discriminatory.

I really wish these "women and gaming" posts would stop being put on the front page. A forum that essentially excludes 75% of the members of this site always showing up where peevishly enforce the ethical standards so the women don't have to read such horrible nonsense as a slang term for breasts.

Okay, that was off topic but some things are just too much. Resume not making obvious jokes about "dexterity games" to play with women.

Also, why is this question even in that forum? Sounds like a trap in the first place.

Numerous edits to save me from iPad autocorrect...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend not to post in the women's forum. It seems like every time I happen across a thread in this forum (because I see it on the front page), more than half the posts are by men, and a substantial portion of those are about the raison d'etre for the forum rather than the thread topic.

Show a little class, gentlemen. Either stick to the topic or butt the hell out. The ladies don't really need you to tell them what the issues are. If you want a clubhouse, go start one, but show some courtesy when you're in theirs. They really don't need to explain it to you for the 900th time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Andrews
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
WhiteRider27 wrote:
sandrewsuk wrote:

Again, no, it's the 21st century

You know, with many different cultures and countries in the world, a pat answer like 'No, it's the 21st century' is not as rock solid as you might think. Just sayin'.

Fair point - although it would still be my opinion of how it should be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Synnical77 wrote:
I just want to throw this out there: people may end up in this vaguely-out-of-bounds-but-not-really section of BGG because the thread is linked to on the BGG main page. I had zero idea that I was in the "women's forum" until some people specifically said that. I, as many may, just thought I was in a BGG forum without any special meaning other than exchanging ideas about board games and the people who play them.

Ok to be bluntly honest... I think making the specific comment that I have asked to be deleted SHOULD be jumped on by so many people as being out of bounds in the MAIN forums that these kinds of comments would stop showing up in them. But they usually are not.

Which is one of the main reasons we don't have more active women posters on BGG in general and why many of the ones we do have avoid the main forums for the most part.

So that is why this all becomes a dicy issue when these comments get made within the Women's Forum.

We want the popular "Women's Forum" threads to make the front page for several reasons. Including that we for the most part welcome *all* BGGers to feel welcome to participate regardless of gender.

However we would like them to be a little more considerate and thoughtful about how their post is going to sound in a room full of "women".

So some of us are going to object when those types of comments are made in THIS space. The more vocal core of women here have indicated repeatedly that they have no problem with sharing our playground with anybody who wants to join in, but we are going to demand a higher standard courtesy *here*. It is obviously too large an inconvenience to try and insist on more consideration everywhere. We have been told so over and over every time a "gender issue" breaks out someplace else on the site. Heck even in here we are often told if we don't like it that is too darn bad and many women have then left the site over these issues.

I may not be able to remove offensive comments myself but I will not let them pass unchallenged when they are made here.

Quote:

So, about distasteful comments, people need to start getting in the habit of flagging them instead of directly responding. Clicking the red X in a person's post allows you the options of hiding their post and/or reporting them. Enough people flag it and it gets auto-hidden. Whether the sleight was intentional or just a misguided attempt to be funny the chastising should be conducted through direct messaging or the supplied tools.
[/i]

FYI I did send direct messages, however I am loathe to red X a joke. No matter how poor the taste of the "joke maker" is. Rex X's trigger moderation attention. I don't think poor taste should be "moderated" officially. Plus I think noting publicly examples of what isn't considered polite or acceptable is how you get the message out to lots of people instead of just the one or two people who happened to cross the line today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.