Power Grid» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cost of leapfrog to empty city in step 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norway
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
When you enter step 2, the cost of connecting an empty city is zero. Is this still true if a player has to leapfrog through an occupied city?

My group have played with the rule that you get the last connection to the empty city for free, but you must pay for the rest of the connections. If not, the player that goes first in the building phase has a massive advantage even though he may be blocked in by other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have something wrong. After you place your first city, the cost of any further cities (regardless of step changes) is always city cost (10, 15 or 20) plus the connection cost to an existing city you own as marked on the board.

There is no free connection at the start of step 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I'm referring to this exception in the rules on page 7: http://www.riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_5_gameRules....

"In steps 2 and 3, a player only pays a building cost of 10 Elektro to connect to an empty city."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eisa01 wrote:
I'm referring to this exception in the rules on page 7: http://www.riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_5_gameRules....

"In steps 2 and 3, a player only pays a building cost of 10 Elektro to connect to an empty city."

That is referring to the fact that if a city is empty, you only pay 10 for the city because no one else is there yet (rather than 15 or 20). You still have to pay the connection charge to link to one of your existing cities.

Edit: note that it is referred to as a building cost, rather than a connection cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Ah, OK. The "to connect" part of the rules must have confused us and that it was labeled as an exception.

Thanks for the correction :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
We think of it as totaling connection costs and building costs. Building cost is the lowest available building plot in a city (10/15/20) plus cost of each connection labeled on the map route. Note, some adjacent cities have no connection cost on some maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
eisa01 wrote:

This rule is there to emphasize that, while it costs 15 for the second space in a city during Step 2 and 20 for the third space during Step 3, you don't have to pay 15 if you're the first person in a city---it's still 10, and you don't have to pay 20 if you're the second person in---it's still 15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Smith
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually explain it as:
In step 1 only the city spots costing 10 are open. Step 2 opens up the spots costing 15 and step 3 opens the spots costing 20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
eisa01 wrote:

This rule is there to emphasize that, while it costs 15 for the second space in a city during Step 2 and 20 for the third space during Step 3, you don't have to pay 15 if you're the first person in a city---it's still 10, and you don't have to pay 20 if you're the second person in---it's still 15.

I found this "clarification" in the rule book was actually more confusing than actually saying nothing. It seems obvious you pay the lowest plot price you can when building in a city. This sentence implied to me it meant something else. (which it doesn't). I was well confused for a while with this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.