Popular Tags: [View All]
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend who wants to play this today at our game group.

I note playtime is 8 hours?!? In my experience when publishers quote playtime they often _under_ estimate playtime. So more than 8 hours?

What is playtime for 4 new players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
8 hours is realistic, even w new players if you 've all read the rules. It's so good, you won't care if you don't quite make it to the end anyway!

Robin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
We did 7 hours for our first game of Angola, excluding breaks and in a relaxed pace. The game ended after the 5th gameturn, which is pretty early, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
anemaat wrote:
We did 7 hours for our first game of Angola, excluding breaks and in a relaxed pace. The game ended after the 5th gameturn, which is pretty early, I believe.

we playing for the 2nd time today. I'll let u know/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case, I think stated playtime is correct. However, four fast, experienced players on CSW recently reported a 4.5 hour playtime. So it is possible to bring it in faster. You need to know your group. Certainly a first-time group will take a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Greenwood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Friday night two novices plus the designer and his assistant managed a five hour game ending in (I think) turn six or seven. Angola is a long game. However, the mechanics are not mentally taxing. I don't remember ever getting game fatigue. Usually it is the 'one more turn and I can ...' feeling that dominates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

It takes a while to get used to how the rules work, particularly columns and organising your hand ready for next turn. That got quicker as the game progressed. It does seem to be a longer rather than shorter. Great fun though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Yesterday we started at 10.45am and were done before 4pm (setup the nite b4), with long break as we were stuck in a fast food place due to a down pour.... finally we made a run for it.

The Jungle rains kept going and we arrived back drenched.
We will not be stopped!

[note we discovered yet more poorly worded and ambiguous rules, but the game is worth nutting it out.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yesterday we started at 10.45am and were done before 4pm (setup the nite b4),

But our game ended on GT7, so keep that in mind (that your game can end before the full turns allowed for).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.