Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Im looking for a wild west game to whet my appetite. Any suggestions?
I really would love to get into Games Workshop's Legends of The Old West, but I find it hard to spend $30.00 for just a rulebook, but should I really have highhopes for cheap and GW to fall together in the same sentence? I also saw a game called Gunshot!, but it sounded more like an rpg than a tabletop game, Ide rather avoid using a GM. I own Bang, but have yet to play it because its need for so many players.

Perhaps there are free rules somewhere? Then if I really want to be cheap, I can use a bag 'o' cowboys an indians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunslinger sounds like it would fit the bill. You'd have to part with a little coin for it on eBay, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'd rather be gaming...
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't go wrong with The Rules With No Name. They are a set of free miniatures rules for wild west man-to-man action and are easy to use with gangs of several characters for each player. Here is the link http://www.icenter.net/~gisby/RWNN.htm
- Ozvortex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cuppa Jack
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Re: Looking for Wild West game, particularly gang versus gan
Doomtown is a great (dead) CCG based on the "Wierd West" setting of Deadlands.

It is very-much Gang-v-gang with a bit of city-building and a whole lot of poker thrown in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axel Toelke
Germany
Bielefeld
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you might mean Gutshot:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/17239

It's a very affordable tabletop miniature skirmish game. So far, there is just the rulebook. From what I can tell, it's a very cinematic light-hearted game. Some scenarios might require a GM, but it is by no means an RPG. There's some unusual mechanics, like drawing cards from a hat.

You can order it direct from their website.

Gunslinger is a bit more involved, and uses chits & hexboards AH-style.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1044

If you get past the usual convoluted AH rulebook, you'll discover a gem of a card-driven skirmish game that plays elegantly and swiftly. The best about Gunslinger is probably the campaign play options and the relatively short playing duration per gunfight (give or take your setup).

I'd also recommend Gunslinger, and if you can find it, the expansion published in General magazine. You can pick it up off Ebay from around 20-50 USD depending on condition.

Are there any other games in this category?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert .
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Re: Looking for Wild West game, particularly gang versus gan
Get Boomtown, it takes place in the old west. You can pick it up cheap, and it is one of Faidutti's best IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option is Deadlands: The Great Rail Wars. It is a "Wierd West" fantasy miniatures game (so there's undead, vampires, etc.) OOP, I believe, but you can find copies here on the Geek, Ebay etc. "Newer" editions were just a rulebook. "Older" verison came boxed with rules & some miniatures.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12957

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.