sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We recently got this game for our son:

It is a single player experience for children, where the challenge book shows a picture of one of the three trucks and several blocks. The child then has to figure out how to get the blocks all in the truck in an organized way.

This is not in the BGG database. The box clearly promotes it as a game and even says "Multi-level logic game." However, it does kind of straddle the line between puzzle and game. I do not want to go through the time to add it to the database and stuff if it will just get rejected. So does something like this count as a game or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ask
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb

He's the keeper of the database meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most single player logic games don't get their own entry. However, there is no consistent ruling on what gets approved and what doesn't. There are several entries for items that do not contain a single rule yet somehow got approved as games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanXor wrote:
It is a single player experience for children, where the challenge book shows a picture of one of the three trucks and several blocks. The child then has to figure out how to get the blocks all in the truck in an organized way.

According to the Game submission guide, this is considered a puzzle, not a game.

"What is not a game?
Puzzles - BGG has a prohibition against solo solvable puzzles, such as Rush Hour or Rubik's Cube. A puzzle is an item such that a problem is presented for which a programmed solution is available."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
cuazzel wrote:
Most single player logic games don't get their own entry. However, there is no consistent ruling on what gets approved and what doesn't. There are several entries for items that do not contain a single rule yet somehow got approved as games.

This is news to me; What are these non-rule items that are being approved? "Expansions" without rules or changes to game-play are declined with instructions that the item is a Miscellaneous Game Accessory.

As for the item in question, Werner has it correct. The rules for BGG entries are that an game is a competitive or cooperative activity in which one or more players win or one or more players lose. Solo activities require rules but also must include some sort of random information, timer, or failure element to qualify as a game. A mere puzzle that exists in the state of solved or unsolved is not a game by the BGG definitions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
This is news to me; What are these non-rule items that are being approved?

Off the top of my head I can think of some books like BattleTech: Die Welt des 31. Jahrhunderts and Im Zeichen des Sechsecks: Klaus Teuber & Die Siedler von Catan, for example. I own both and I am pretty sure that there is nothing in those books that qualifies as game content (but I can check again). I'm also pretty sure that I did point that out for a bunch of items years ago (via the correction tool) but never saw one of them being removed. But I never followed up on that because I'd rather have a complete database of all game items anyway :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
SeanXor wrote:

According to the Game submission guide, this is considered a puzzle, not a game.

"What is not a game?
Puzzles - BGG has a prohibition against solo solvable puzzles, such as Rush Hour or Rubik's Cube. A puzzle is an item such that a problem is presented for which a programmed solution is available."

Since it seems the question is answered (otherwise I wouldn't go off-topic), I'll add as a side note, Sean, that Rush Hour, in fact, would be an excellent puzzle activity for your son once he has mastered this title. Don't bother with Rush Hour Jr.; he can jump into the real thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
cuazzel wrote:
skelebone wrote:
This is news to me; What are these non-rule items that are being approved?

Off the top of my head I can think of some books like BattleTech: Die Welt des 31. Jahrhunderts and Im Zeichen des Sechsecks: Klaus Teuber & Die Siedler von Catan, for example. I own both and I am pretty sure that there is nothing in those books that qualifies as game content (but I can check again).

Ah, then you must have missed the user shit-fit upset from a couple of years back when I tried to remove non-game book content and book rules compilations. The order of the day is that books remain until the development of BookGeek or something like the same and they will be ported over then. New books that are mere compilations or books about games are not being added, and there is a consistent ruling on what gets approved and what doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
Ah, then you must have missed the user shit-fit upset from a couple of years back when I tried to remove non-game book content and book rules compilations.

Indeed, I was not aware of that. This state of neither removing existing illegitimate items nor adding those missing would haunt me every night ;)

I will see if I can find the list I had back then and check on the non-book items. At the moment I only remember the Starfarers of Catan figures, those are gone by now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RE: Trucky3

A "puzzle" is really a single-player game.

There are a zillion puzzles. We can hope for PuzzleGeek someday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
ah HA! 'moi' hereby DECREED that "it" WERE 'indeed' some: "fauxgame"; and 'get' the "fauxgame" OUT OF HERE! robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
Ah, then you must have missed the user shit-fit upset from a couple of years back when I tried to remove non-game book content and book rules compilations. The order of the day is that books remain until the development of BookGeek or something like the same and they will be ported over then. New books that are mere compilations or books about games are not being added, and there is a consistent ruling on what gets approved and what doesn't.

I've been wondering about those items myself lately. So wrong items did get approved but are not taken out while similar items now do not get approved. I'm fine with the policy but calling this "a consistent ruling" seems at least questionable to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
merrox wrote:
I've been wondering about those items myself lately. So wrong items did get approved but are not taken out while similar items now do not get approved. I'm fine with the policy but calling this "a consistent ruling" seems at least questionable to me.

I suppose "consistent" as in "from this point in time on we only approve items that..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
marble911 wrote:
merrox wrote:

I suppose "consistent" as in "from this point in time on we only approve items that..."

'Consistent" as in the policy is set for items going forward, and an executive decision dictates the anomalous content will not be removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Does this count as a game? does *Solitaire*?
Do you kiss your Moms with that 'anomalous' of your'ns? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ptdnet wrote:
Werbaer wrote:
"What is not a game?

But according to that description, Shadows over Camelot is not a game. Neither are Dominion nor Axis and Allies.

Those are not meant to be played solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ptdnet wrote:
Werbaer wrote:
"What is not a game?

But according to that description, Shadows over Camelot is not a game. Neither are Dominion nor Axis and Allies.

1. I'm not aware that any of these games is solo solvable.

2. Assume Dominion is set up. The available cards are "Apprentice, Caravan, Duchess, Embargo, Haven, Laboratory, Militia, Mining Village, Scheme, and Stables". I'm player 1 (out of 3). My hand is 2 estates and 3 copper. Please post the programmed solution how i will win the game ("solve the puzzle").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:

2. Assume Dominion is set up. The available cards are "Apprentice, Caravan, Duchess, Embargo, Haven, Laboratory, Militia, Mining Village, Scheme, and Stables". I'm player 1 (out of 3). My hand is 2 estates and 3 copper. Please post the programmed solution how i will win the game ("solve the puzzle").

foreach(buy[]) {
if ($money>=3) {
if ($money>=8) {
buy($Province);
}
if ($money>=6) {
buy($Gold);
}
if ($money>=5) {
buy($Duchy);
}
if ($money>=3) {
buy($Silver);
}
} else {
buy($Copper);
}
}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Werbaer wrote:

1. I'm not aware that any of these games is solo solvable.

Does this PLAY "Like" either RISK or Monopoly? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is another item that is neither a book nor an expansion but simply a pack of glass pieces: Ys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David

Lorton
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
merrox wrote:

The line must be drawn here! This far and no farther...I will make those [wrong items] pay for what they've done to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
puzzle is solo-solvable with a programmed solution.

Therefore, what makes something a solo game instead of a solo puzzle is the "random element". This is why FF Books are games, not puzzles. And so is solitaire Agricola. Consequently, you can win or lose.

And why my jigsaws, or Rush Hour are simply puzzles. They have a fixed solution. They are solvable. These puzzles you either "win" or "give up". Big clear Difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gmaal wrote:
} else {
buy($Copper);
}
}

Pppffffff that's hilarious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Donks
Netherlands
Sprang-Capelle
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always record my plays of those kind of games under Outside the Scope of BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Gmaal wrote:
Werbaer wrote:

foreach(buy[]) {
if ($money>=3) {
if ($money>=8) {
buy($Province);
}
if ($money>=6) {
buy($Gold);
}
if ($money>=5) {
buy($Duchy);
}
if ($money>=3) {
buy($Silver);
}
} else {
buy($Copper);
}
}

Yeah...definitely not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.