Cedric Chong
Singapore
flag msg tools
comic style
badge
comic style
mbmbmbmbmb

Note:
I brought along SDE to my buddy's gathering and got the chance to put it on the table for a game! It was a four player game. One of the player was my buddy's 8 year old boy. He got pretty excited when he saw the minis! He was pretty psyched up and wanted to play as well. How could I refuse?

Bearing in mind it was the first game for my buddies, and we had an 8 year old kid with us, I went easy with them. Super easy.

Firstly, I disregarded all of Starfire's adventure effects. No Born of Fire, the one where heroes catch fire next to a spawning point. No Red Stuff. No boss fight effects. No timeout effects.

Secondly, I disregarded Consul's draw of loot at 16-bit.

Thirdly, because I did not explain the importance of getting rid of the spawning points, I did not give Starfire double activation. Hence it was pretty much a walk in the park when Starfire could only activate once.

Fourthly, for simplicity, I house-ruled that all potions had the same effect, heal 1.

And of course, I went really easy on them. I tried hard not to use any of the minions' special attacks and special abilities. I did not want to win them on their first game of SDE.

About halfway through the game, it was the boy's bedtime, so he had to leave the table. No problem, we simply passed the hero he controlled (Ember Mage) to one of my buddy's girlfriend. And the game continued smoothly. This highlighted one of the strengths of this game. Players could switch in and out smoothly.

The game went on for around 90-100 minutes. I think the players all had fun. The next day, I got a text from my buddy telling me his boy loved my game! Sure, lets get together soon for another session!

---------------------
Chapter 1 - Ember vs Dragon Lance
Chapter 2 - Ember vs Broken Bones
Chapter 3 - Ember vs Dwarven Cleave
Chapter 4 - Ember vs Dragon Breath
---------------------
A Geeklist of all my comic-style "stuff"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great way to gain new gamers! Nothing like a victory to whet their appetites!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.