Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you place a stack of luminaries for an action, are you required to pre-designate which luminary's action is the one you are planning on using? How about which luminary's enhancement you'll be using (if any)? Or is it allowed to place a stack and then decide which action/enhancement you'll be using when it's your turn to play?

If you use one of the "generic" actions, I assume it's clear that that's the action you're taking. Or could you "on the fly" choose to ignore that card in your pile and use a luminary's action instead?

I haven't actually played the game yet; I just read the rules. I really don't know if this is something that could be used effectively, but it seems to me that in some cases you might be able to construct a stack that had multiple different uses, to allow yourself a contingency plan if things somehow go awry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Knemeyer
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Brad,

The action card is supposed to be the top card in the stack, so unless a group is lax about that rule you can't change actions on the fly. However, particularly when attacking, multiple luminaries in your stack are likely to have enhancements and - since you are not revealing and announcing your enhancement until considerable other decisions are being made - see the defender's opposition, see what allies are participating - you can make the choice on enhancement later in the process. While most military enhancements are "fixed" in their effect and ultimately are just making your pile stronger, there are some with very different powers that you may decide to use or not based on how the turn(s) have been playing out and what the battle looks like. The Elector of Brandenburg is one that comes right to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.