19 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A great game that needs a better rulebook rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CrashGem
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got in on some Kickstarter action for Zombicide. I got an early realease copy and got to play it last night for the first time. Every year for the past 3 years i have run a d20 Modern mini game based on the theme of zombie survival. Blackest Friday, Renaissance FEASTival, and Sea of Brains. This year was slated to be Midnight Train to GOREgia, but alas my players either moved away or joined the army. This game perfectly captures the feel of zombie survival. There are 6 main heroes with many more being added, promo heroes, and blank cards for making your own custom heroes. I received 3 promo heroes with my copy, with 2 or 3 more coming in April. I actually passed on 4 of the promo heroes they were offering.

Everything about the game looks good. The art is comic book with bright colors, and the characters and zombies look very cool. the promo dice, I received 2 sets: black and glow in the dark, have icons for the numbers 1 and 6 which was a cool touch. The tiles are thick, sturdy, and look great, I especially like the cars. The experience trackers which attach to each charactersheet (called dashboards) are definitely too small and hard to move, but are better than the card stock alternatives provided. The zombie sculpts definitely outshine the heroes sculpts, but they all look great especially considering they were hand sculpted and not generated digitally.

The game play really shines, though the first printing of the rules leaves a lot to be desired and I had to check online for many rules clarifications. Game play is turn based, but no one has to control the zombies, they have AI scripts, which are simple, but then, so are zombies. 4 types of zombies: Walkers, Runners (think dawn of the dead remake), Fatties (tougher walkers), and Abominations (boss zombies). The players have a budget of moves each turn and must play extremely smart and use lots of strategy. You have a major priority to clear out as many zombies as possible on your turn because the zombies spawn constantly, and they can kill heroes very very easily. Any zombie that begins its turn in a heroes area automatically snatches equipment AND deals a wound. Two wounds.... and you are dead. The real threat is definitely the runners, who can take two turns when they activate. I believe an expansion is planned involving special zombies created from dead heroes.

The game makes melee weapons shine by creating a very nasty friendly fire mechanic for ranged attacks. Essentially when firing into a crowd without the sniper ability or a scoped weapon, you always hit allies first. Yea, because the game was not hard enough already. The selection of weapons is very traditional and covers all the bases, but is very limited. It would have been nice to see some non weapon items thrown into the mix that would change game play in a significant way such as: door jams, air horns, armor beyond a hockey mask... Duel wielding is amazing and powerful, when you dual wield SMGs and attack up to 18 times in one turn at the lowest level... yea, it's a nice feeling. The game has cars, and the cars are awesome, but I definitely will be adding motorcycles, as well as a few new and interesting items to my game.

Last complaint: even with the 71 miniatures the game comes with, you will probably run out of zombies, just use color coded glass counters, or buy some more zombies I guess. (I got a bonus set from the kickstarter)

Final Verdict: 8/10
So what does this all mean? It means that the game is great. If you like zombies, and have some buddies to play this with you will have a blast.

Pros:
Visual polish is high.
Game play extremely fun.
Playable characters very cool, though the promo heroes blow the 6 main heroes out of the water IMHO.
Great minis and city themed tiles that can be added to other games.

Cons:
Needs more variety in item types, weapons, and enemies
Rule book poorly written.
Experience trackers are too small
Zombies unable to batter down doors... seems lame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Marx
United States
Tarpon Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, when you run out of miniatures to spawn, all the zombies on the board get an activation. You shouldn't need proxies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moonstone77 wrote:
Last complaint: even with the 71 miniatures the game comes with, you will probably run out of zombies, just use color coded glass counters, or buy some more zombies I guess. (I got a bonus set from the kickstarter)

Just knowing that a zombie game with SEVENTY ONE miniatures might not be enough minis makes me drool. I can't wait for this to be available.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
moonstone77 wrote:

Just knowing that a zombie game with SEVENTY ONE miniatures might not be enough minis makes me drool. I can't wait for this to be available.

-shnar

Whats even better is the KS nearly doubled the amount of zombies we got.
And they announced a campaign is going to be released that will use ALL of those zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
shnar wrote:
moonstone77 wrote:

-shnar

Whats even better is the KS nearly doubled the amount of zombies we got.
And they announced a campaign is going to be released that will use ALL of those zombies.

Yeah, too late for KS for me, I only recently heard about this game...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do the promo survivors blow away the other survivors? It seems like El Cholo is a faster to get started Amy with a weaker endgame and no utility options. Nick seems pretty good, but mostly for support/scouting. Other characters are better at killing things. I haven't played with Dave, so I'm not sure how dual wielding Molotov Cocktails works out in practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
crumbb wrote:
FYI, when you run out of miniatures to spawn, all the zombies on the board get an activation. You shouldn't need proxies...

This a hundred times.

The whole tension comes from the fact that you need to cull the zombie numbers so you never run out of minies. If you do run out, they activate again.

Have that happen twice and it is death for everyone in virtually all cases.

Running out of zombies is a major difficulty feature, do not use proxies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
foksieloy wrote:
crumbb wrote:

This a hundred times.

The whole tension comes from the fact that you need to cull the zombie numbers so you never run out of minies. If you do run out, they activate again.

Have that happen twice and it is death for everyone in virtually all cases.

Running out of zombies is a major difficulty feature, do not use proxies!

This squared. Even with the abomination pack, we've run out of walkers once. Those extra zombie activations are almost certain death, especially when every single walker is on the board! It is something both horrifying and yet strangely beautiful at the same time to see six survivors get devoured by 60+ zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbbnbsmith wrote:
It is something both horrifying and yet strangely beautiful at the same time to see six survivors get devoured by 60+ zombies.

I WANT THIS GAME!!!!

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the more I read about this the more impatient I become to see whether or not they really honor those last minute orders that took place the last few days after the kickstarter ended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CrashGem
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the three promos I have used:

Nick: Starts with tough, which ignores the first wound he receives each time he is wounded. Eventually he gains slippery and ninja which allows him to not count as a noise token and to use any weapon silently while moving in and out of zones full of zombies at no penalty, as long as he stays out of sight between attacks he could effectively play forever unmolested. Also: Bruce Willis.

Dave: starts very weak, but thanks to the ease of equipment swapping he will get the ingredients for the cocktails soon enough and get two of them when he does, weak on his own, he is a great asset to a full party. His other abilities slippery and lucky allow awesome unrestricted movement and rerolls like crazy ensuring some great accuracy when he isn't killing everything on the board automatically.

Cholo: Machetes are not great, but they are 2 damage weapons (kills fatties)and he gets two to start the game. They are also silent, which does have its advantages. Is Doug better in this regard? Probably, ambidextrous is seriously awesome, but eventually those machetes will be 3 damage weapons which means Cholo can kill 16 abominations in one turn (heaven forbid) with the only true 3 damage weapon in the game.

But with the survivors available, including the ones this community will make, it all comes down to play style and group composition.

Makes me wish I had forked over another 40 bucks for all the promos

As to the zombie double activation.... /shudder I guess you end up with an easier game if you have more zombie minis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MCollier wrote:
the more I read about this the more impatient I become to see whether or not they really honor those last minute orders that took place the last few days after the kickstarter ended.

I added in a whole extra set to my pledge after the fact and I got it. So I dont see why they wouldnt honor any orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
MCollier wrote:

I added in a whole extra set to my pledge after the fact and I got it. So I dont see why they wouldnt honor any orders.

with any luck I'll hear back from them soon, the $180 has been sitting there eating away at my bank account since just after the kickstarter ended and I saw the announcement of last minute chance to order :-D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*sniff* I want the promos too!

Were there plans to offer them as mini-expansions post kickstarter?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
*sniff* I want the promos too!

Were there plans to offer them as mini-expansions post kickstarter?

-shnar

I don't see anything that says they were exclusive to the Kickstarter offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CrashGem
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand the promos will be used in promotions at a later date. There might be a few that are kickstarter exclusives, maybe the cardboard tube samurai? But from what I have been reading they will probably make them available at cons and stuff and maybe pre-order bonuses from retailers. Keep in mind the game comes with blanks for making your own heroes, so get your favorite minis out and build something cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im going to use my Hasslefree minis and make Ed and Shaun characters myself.
And then one for my girlfriend, and her siblings, and then myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McDuck
msg tools
Since Zombicide was my first Kickstarter ever I held off until the very last day before backing. Received my copy with everything a little over a week ago last Saturday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian giese
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will have to look at the rulebook closer tonight.

Last night I opened this game, and played a demo game by myself and I didnt find any huge issues with the rulebook. I'm not saying it was anything special, but I didnt have any real issue tracking any information down.

I was too busy dying in scenario01, which it seems after reading the forum, its the hardest scenario in the book.

So I'm a meh in regards to the book. I've seenb better, and I've seen worse. In my first play thru I found every rule to every question I had when looking in the book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.