Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played games/scenarios covering the Battle of Cannae and I am interested in more--much more. Here are the following games that I have found that cover the battle on BGG (either the whole game is dedicated to the battle or it contains a scenario(s) covering the battle):

SPQR (Deluxe Edition)
Four Battles of the Ancient World
Ancient Battles Deluxe Expansion Kit 1: Elephants at War
Ancients I
Commands & Colors: Ancients
Hannibal and the Punic Wars
Piquet: Archon II
Cannae
Don't Mess with Hannibal
Cannae
Hoplita

Are there more? If so, please add.

Also, which ones are the best?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Battles, see also AARs for Cannae on the Lost Battles wiki page on BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasAH wrote:

Great recommendation. Keep'em coming . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.baen.com/DecisionCycles.asp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Meyer
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not a tactical treatment, but The Rise of the Roman Republic contains a scenario ('Thunderbolt') on the operations leading up to the battle of Cannae. It begins in 218 BC with Hannibal just having crossed the Alps and ends in 216 BC.
The Carthaginians must establish a base in Italy and control as many provinces as possible. The Romans will continually raise new legions, and eventually will be tempted to use their superior numbers in a huge battle. The scenario also highlights the difficulty Hannibal would have had when besieging Rome, as this ties down a large portion of his army and gives the Romans free hand to reconquer other cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nap16 wrote:
I have played games/scenarios covering the Battle of Cannae and I am interested in more--much more.

Battleground Historical Warfare: Second Punic War 218-201 BC + Battleground Historical Warfare: Second Punic War 218-201 BC Reinforcements (that contains, along with more units, the scenario booklet with Cannae).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Iskandir wrote:
Not a tactical treatment, but The Rise of the Roman Republic contains a scenario ('Thunderbolt') on the operations leading up to the battle of Cannae. It begins in 218 BC with Hannibal just having crossed the Alps and ends in 216 BC.
The Carthaginians must establish a base in Italy and control as many provinces as possible. The Romans will continually raise new legions, and eventually will be tempted to use their superior numbers in a huge battle. The scenario also highlights the difficulty Hannibal would have had when besieging Rome, as this ties down a large portion of his army and gives the Romans free hand to reconquer other cities.

However, mobility in that scenario is a huge problem. I have yet to see Hannibal get as far south as the historical location of Cannae in this one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paolo Robino wrote:
Nap16 wrote:
I have played games/scenarios covering the Battle of Cannae and I am interested in more--much more.

Battleground Historical Warfare: Second Punic War 218-201 BC + Battleground Historical Warfare: Second Punic War 218-201 BC Reinforcements (that contains, along with more units, the scenario booklet with Cannae).

Excellent addition. I need to play that scenario again. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
My first Cannae experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Battle of Cannae Recommendations: Roman?
'moi' shall "recommend" you PLAY as the: Carthaginian whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.