Subject: Malta Gets Mined card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pericles Boutos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Luftwaffe strength 3 unit is in the no 2 (West Sicily) space of its track. When the above card is revealed, is it advanced or is it removed so that a strength 4 Luftwaffe unit can be positioned in space no 4 (South Sardinia).

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the Luftwaffe strength 3 unit is already in play, it simply advances.

If the Luftwaffe unit were not in play, then its strength 4 unit would place in the South Sardinia box.

Notice the key text on the card: "If not yet in play" and "instead of Advancing it".

The behind-the-scenes design thinking here is if the 3 strength Luftwaffe unit is already in play, then it is already engaged in combat operations and is progressing, but is also taking losses (hence no strength increase up to 4).

But if the Luftwaffe unit is not yet in play, it comes in fresh and strong at its maximum (4) strength value.

Hope that makes sense, and thanks for the question.

STEVE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pericles Boutos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks Steve!

It does make sense though admittedly I was somewhat confused with the "If not yet in play" phrase: did it mean "if a Luftwaffe Unit is not yet in play", or did it mean "if the strength 4 Luftwaffe Unit is not in play"? Now that I see the card again, it is clear that the asterisk refers to the pictured Luftwaffe unit with no strength indication so it means the first.

And what a game this is! In my opinion it is the most dramatic of the SoS series. Congratulations indeed!!

I managed to elicit a draw today, Rommel was east of El Alamein, but already I consider this a modest success on my part.

thanks for the reply, you guys are amazing!

Pericles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pericles1958 wrote:
Now that I see the card again, it is clear that the asterisk refers to the pictured Luftwaffe unit with no strength indication so it means the first.

Precisely correct.

Pericles1958 wrote:
And what a game this is! In my opinion it is the most dramatic of the SoS series. Congratulations indeed!!

Considering the number of outstanding titles in the States of Siege series, that's high praise indeed. Thank You!

Pericles1958 wrote:
I managed to elicit a draw today, Rommel was east of El Alamein, but already I consider this a modest success on my part.

I too feel good when I obtain a Draw - the game was designed to be very challenging.

Hope that you can enjoy repeated contests, and I'll look forward to any other questions or comments that you may have...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.