Vasilis S.
Greece
Thessaloniki
Macedonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
Which game is better? Which one has better mechanics? War of the Ring (First Edition)(not the collector's edition) or Middle-Earth Quest ?
Please advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
They are completely different games; it depends on what kinds of games you enjoy. War of the Ring is a classic, thematic player vs. player game of strategy and tactics heavily informed by the narrative of the Lord of the Rings. Middle-Earth Quest is a one versus many game of acquiring and balancing resources (particularly for the Sauron player) incorporating many Euro elements; even the battles are resolved through card play rather than dice. It deals with narratives outside the scope of the novel. Of the two, War of the Ring has received much more love though it is more complex with more of an investment in rules and playtime. Middle-Earth Quest might be more attractive to you, on the other hand, if you routinely had three gamers in your group, less time to invest and were intrigued by the Euro elements. Check them out and you'll see what would be a better fit for your situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not even close.

WotR is just about the perfect synthesis of euro, AT, and wargame sensibilities. Even without the theme, it's a fantastic game. It has real meat. A 9 for me.

MEQ is typical FFG exploiting a license. It has lots of bits and graphics and minis, but only false depth/complexity. It's a graphic design nightmare. A 4 for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Not even close.

WotR is just about the perfect synthesis of euro, AT, and wargame sensibilities. Even without the theme, it's a fantastic game. It has real meat. A 9 for me.

MEQ is typical FFG exploiting a license. It has lots of bits and graphics and minis, but only false depth/complexity. It's a graphic design nightmare. A 4 for me.

Exactly right. WotR has tons of depth and theme. Whereas in MEQ, the main characters are simply generic, and the endgame blows.

Utterly no contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Owned both once upon a time, sold WotR after 21 plays, compared to MEQ, which got 60 plays in one third the time owned compared to WotR. No interest in re-acquiring WotR, but if I were to lose MEQ somehow, I would be ordering a new version so fast.

Biggest issue for me with WotR is that it is so closely tied to the books, there were ruts on the board in certain areas and dust gathering in other areas, as the former areas always saw action and there were areas that never saw action. Shadow takes a fixed few Stronghold for its VPs. Sure, you could go to another location, but since they require more effort, why bother, take the VP that are cheaper. Too restricted by the feeling of hemmed in by being tied so closely to the books. Not to mention if the dice decide they don't like you, you can have turns where nothing you want can be done.

Two threads where I've already summed my views on this debate:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/629182/war-of-the-ring-v...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/686753/war-of-rings-vs-m...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought WotR 1st edition and the Battles of the 3rd Age expansion. Then I bought WotR:CE. Played them, love them, would play today if I had time. And I'm seriously considering buying WotR 2nd edition.

By contrast, I got rid of my MEQ after playing it twice. Draw your own conclusions. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would urge the OP to consider the various replies by looking at our respective 9's and 10's. The OP's favorites line up a lot more with Rauli's than the rest of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
I would urge the OP to consider the various replies by looking at our respective 9's and 10's. The OP's favorites line up a lot more with Rauli's than the rest of us.

Yeah...that's why I was hedging a bit. I checked out his titles and saw something similar. I think to the extent it is possible to say, War of the Ring is a much better designed game. It is without question the classic in this discussion. That's not to say, though, that it would necessarily be the better fit, get played as often or be as much fun for the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

Excellent remark.

Also, I totally agree with Rauli on the two games. Can't be bothered to play WoTR but will strongly consider MEQ whenever there's just 3 players. To be fair, though, I did not like MEQ during my first play. It took me a long break afterwards before my interest in the game was reignited (I think by Michael Barnes) and I came to really appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring (First Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
MEQ is the more versatile game, and it isn't a war game. It certainly isn't an over exploitation of a license. It incorporates much more from the Middle-earth cannon (not just the trilogy) than war of the ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bchlax944 wrote:
MEQ is the more versatile game, and it isn't a war game. It certainly isn't an over exploitation of a license. It incorporates much more from the Middle-earth cannon (not just the trilogy) than war of the ring.

WotR provides players with the novel; MEQ gives them the appendices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
bchlax944 wrote:

WotR provides players with the novel; MEQ gives them the appendices.

This is true. In WotR the players play out the events of the trilogy with the key characters and, likely, many of the key events occurring. MEQ might be better thoughts of as "gaming in the world of Middle-Earth." With respect to the canon, Sauron is there as are some of the baddies but the heroes do not come from Tolkein. This single point is not to pass judgment on either title; these thematic differences appeal to some gamers differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This depends ENTIRELY on player numbers

Mostly 2? WOTR, no question

More than 2? MEQ is a fabulous game for 3 and 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.