Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That title belonged to Risk: Transformers before my folks returned from vacation with this little jewel. A theme of a themed version of Monopoly. Wow.

But I can appreciate a well-made version of a game even if I don't appreciate the mechanics. Take this version of Monopoly for example... it's beautiful. While it isn't a re-theme the graphical presentation is such that I'd want to play it.

In that spirit of acceptance I shrugged and cracked open Monopoly anyway to see what it was all about. Sheesh.

There's nothing in the rules to suggest play is any different from most monopoly sets you'll run across (except if you count the way you're supposed to play as a variant from the way everyone else does it). Instead, through the language of the presentation, it tries to convince you that it is a conquest game. Money are "forces", chance cards might get you into an embarrassing loss with the federation, railways are starships, and so on.

Yet Jail, Go to Jail, Go, and Free parking all have the legacy artwork. So you have a vintage 1930s car in a game set in the 24th century from the perspective of a proud-warrior-race.

A combination of being too bold with the language, along with the legacy artwork and unchanged gameplay, give me an awkward feeling when I think about sitting down to play this. I haven't yet, and I don't think I will beyond maybe as a joke (I'm a Risk fan), but as far as presentations go this one is maybe the strangest and silliest I've encountered in my collection. At least they could have changed the four corner squares... or as a joke put the klingon in jail... what gives?

I can easily imagine this game played at conventions by klingon fans with not entirely too convincing costumes. Because that's how this game feels. Just short of a complete re-theme with a lack of finesse and refinement. No wonder it was on sale.

I don't want to know what WoW-opoly is going to look like. Though I imagine it won't be as painful because there is at least propery ownership in WoW that Monopoly can relate to... right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
A combination of being too bold with the language, along with the legacy artwork and unchanged gameplay, give me an awkward feeling when I think about sitting down to play this.

Don't do it! It's still Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually did. For a joke. For about two turns. One of my friends confirmed my sentiments by saying 'This is stupid.' It was.

...That didn't stop two of my other gamers from firing up a game while the rest of us played Fortress America.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now if the rules and all the text in the game was written in Klingon then that would be something. Or if there was a rule about the loser disemboweling himself...although some would call that a merciful end to Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny you should say that actually. While the rules aren't in klingon, one half of all the cards are printed purely in klingon and there's pretty of klingoneese 'assistance' text. One could almost guess that this was made to assist a player in learning how to read klingon.

Though I find the notion of playing a game as a teaching aid, to learn a fictional language only super-nerds have a working vocabulary with, is about as awkward as a property-trading game trying to pass itself off as a brave warrior conquest game.

I should probably say as a disclaimer that, as a nerd, I can understand people getting very into their hobbies. I just feel that Klingon Monopoly is rather redundant and superficial in the pursuit of enjoying TNG Klingon culture. If you want to be a hardcore klingon fan, go play Starfleet Battles with your buddies and communicate entirely in the language to confuse the hell out of your federation opponent as you blow him to smithereens.

I mean if you spend the effort to practice the language fluently, do it with something more worthwhile than Monopoly. Especially this half-baked version which wasn't serious enough of a re-theme to justify calling itself a "collector's edition".

For an example of theming a Star Trek game correctly, go look at Star Trek: Catan. Yes using starships as roads raises some eyebrows but in a way it makes sense if you abstract the ships into convoys carrying supplies. There doesn't seem to be any legacy artwork in the example, and I can't think of any Catan mechanics that would just be too unusual re-themed into a Star Trek equivalent. I can't accept Monopoly money as "Conquest" points with a straight face. Especially if you're still printing it like a dollar bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Trimboli
United States
Oyster Bay
New York
flag msg tools
mb
All of the licensed Monopoly games seem to have the original art on the corners. I suspect this is a licensing issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.