BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How do you schedule gaming sessions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ben cor
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hello,

I have around 15 friends who regularly play boardgames.
I'm buying more and more games lately and I'd like to schedule gaming sessions. But it's a pain to set things up every week and send the mails to the 15 people, and check who's coming and who's not coming, checking the max number of players and so on.

I remember when I was gaming on a few mmorpg, we had a raidplanner. This is really what i would need, something like a raidplanner where I can say the date of the event, number of player max and some comments would be best too. Then the people can say if they can come or not and it will validate the first 5 persons if it is a 5 person game max.

Do any of you use something like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We generally just have people show up and then figure out what to play based on who is there.

For particularly long or difficult games, it makes sense to plan ahead so they'll hit the table. I have done that a few times, edit: generally by e-mail, but not recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlton Herbert
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My game nights are pretty small, so I just use texts. However, I have set up "events" on facebook for larger get-togethers, specifically for church events. Everyone gets a notification and is asked to RSVP, and they can also post comments or questions on the event page. Once the event has passed, you can just bump up the calenar date and keep the page active instead of starting all over each week. It's handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I created a circle in Google+ for the people I usually invite. Then I just create an event and invite that circle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I created a FB group for my game group which allows people to create events and invite that group. Of course, this presupposes everyone is on FB (and I've got a couple friends who aren't and they consequently miss some invites when I fail to email them separately).

You could also create an email list via google group or yahoo group. Or use evites (which I think have a feature for regularly recurring events).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use GroupSpaces, which is free. Other groups use MeetUp, which is not free. Both offer an invitation/RSVP system, sending emails to members, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started hosting a game night, the nights themselves are haphazard, whoever shows up plays what they want. As for invites I have a facebook group that I set up an event through, and then I just tell everyone I see. I'm not too concerned with who comes or what I play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
https://everyme.com/ - If they don't have the app then it will send an email, if no email it will SMS them. My group is a lot smaller, but it makes it easy for broadcasting and comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group got a Facebook group but facebook suck so I wish it was Google plus or.. uhm.. I'm sure there's one Google product for just setting up meetings/manage groups (not as mail-lists.) I can't remember what it's called. Google calendar would also be an option.

Major difference? Well. I use Google products anyhow. And their services feels like applications rather than a socialize play around community which also happen to do kinda work if someone make an event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
Our group got a Facebook group but facebook suck so I wish it was Google plus or.. uhm.. I'm sure there's one Google product for just setting up meetings/manage groups (not as mail-lists.) I can't remember what it's called. Google calendar would also be an option.

Major difference? Well. I use Google products anyhow. And their services feels like applications rather than a socialize play around community which also happen to do kinda work if someone make an event.
It was Google Sites I thought about:
https://sites.google.com/

I've never used it though. But it seem like it could do what I would had wanted?
If it doesn't then Google Groups for updates and Google Calendar for actual time, date and participation should work.

Edit 2: Looked at it. It wasn't really what I expected. Rather simple publisher like with a few (of which many (maybe all?) was user created) themes. You could include a Google Calendar but yeah.. You may just as well link the Calendar directly then I suspect. Works as a site for links to that and Groups and maybe hosting some images but no specifically a tool for the purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
I created a FB group for my game group which allows people to create events and invite that group. Of course, this presupposes everyone is on FB (and I've got a couple friends who aren't and they consequently miss some invites when I fail to email them separately).

You could also create an email list via google group or yahoo group. Or use evites (which I think have a feature for regularly recurring events).
A benefit of using a calendar application would be that people could get mail information sent to them at the same time (I believe) even if they aren't registered for the calendar service on Google and also I think it includes a link to a data file which is importable in OS X iCal at least (and likely iPhones, Android phones, I don't know about Windows products?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have it the same time every week at my place, an post a few days before in a Facebook group to confirm who is coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the usual planner of our group. This is how I usually do it.

First, find a day. I took thursday (evenings), because I'm the gameplanner and it suits me best. But, I have the responsability to keep all thursdays free. People should expect this day to be gameday, so no flipping around with the calender. I thinks it's best to choose a moment that a lot of people are free, like weekdayevenings or saturday afternoons, especially if it's weekly.

Next, find a place. Most often this will at your own place. But sometimes you can go somewhere else. If it's at another persons place, ask at least six days in advance. If it's in a pub or any other place, inform that the place is suited and that there's no other activity: you don't want to be the guys playing games when there's a bachelor party going on or something.

Next, get people. You want at least four persons, yourself included. This means you still need at least three more. Start calling, your goal is to get these three people ASAP, and preferably at least five days in advance (so these people know that, if they haven't heard from you, they can plan something else). Instead of calling, you might text them and ask for a quick reply.

Who you're gonna call and in what order?
1. Regulars. Those that keep gamenight free if possible and always come when asked. Their devotion should be rewarded by calling them first.
2. The Irregulars: those that like coming to your gamenight, but have conflicting shedules like work or wife-and-children. Don't harass these (it's often better to send an sms/text to them), and get the hint if they never never come.
2. People with lots of free time (like singles, or twentysomethings that live with their parents). Some have more time to spare than others, call them, maybe they're bored or lonely.
3. Everyone else. Be creative, get out of your comfortzone, your goal is to get into contact with three people and convince them to come. Don't stop until you reached your goal.

If you have found three other people, stop calling. Now you have your core group of four people. You can play almost all games with four people, and you have the peace of mind that you will be able to game on gamenight, because when one person can't make it for an urgent reason, you still have a group of three.

Two things may happen:
- You may want to expand your group of four. Think about those people that already are coming, try to add people that they get along with. Maybe it's someone they known, maybe it's someone they don't know yet. I there's one girl/teenager/olderperson/newbie/... in your group of four, get another so they don't feel like an outsider.
- People are calling you. Unless it's your version of my AP-prone always-spillling-beer-over-the-board competitive cheating gamerfriend, this is obviously a good thing. Depending on the situation, you want them to come, or you don't want them to come to this gamenight. Some decent reasons to deny a person to your gamenight are: He doesn't get along with others who are already coming, the game you're planning to play is full, there's not enough chairs at the location, or you think he'd be an unwelcome guest if you're playing in someone elses place. Tell him why he can't come, (or make up an excuse if you don't want to hurt his feelings) but always promise him that he'll be the first you're calling next gameday (or make the appointment now, since you have him on the phone). Keep to that promise: If someone asks to be invited to your gameday, invite him this week or next week.
People will remember.

PS: I see you're from Belgium, where you're from?
BTW, welcome to the geek.

Edit:
- And don't forget, you're creating a get-together. Playing games comes second, your guests having fun comes first. That way, they'll be more receptive if you ask them next time.
- I go for calling/texting instead of googlegroups and such, because it forces the recipient to reply immediately. And it's more personal.
- I always tell people that they can bring a fellow guest if they want. I'm always happy to meet new people, and some of these now come each week.
- Don't be strict about drinks near games. Sure, spilling is a disaster, but losing potential gamermates also is.
- Have a good range of #player-games.
- If you found what works for you, always follow the same practice, and eventually you'll have a fixed gaminggroup, and sheduling isn't even needed anymore.
- Learn the rules of the games you plan to explain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Witzany
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I create Doodle surveys at http://doodle.com/. It's free, and you can list as many days/times as you like. One option is to allow each respondent to specify Yes, No or If Need Be for each choice. It's usually pretty easy to spot which choices work the best for the most people, but Doodle will show you what appears to be best, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Doodle is the way to go. We use it at work and at home. It's easy and reliable, as long as everybody checks their email.

Happy Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Maloney
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kazuma6666 wrote:
Hello,

I have around 15 friends who regularly play boardgames.
I'm buying more and more games lately and I'd like to schedule gaming sessions. But it's a pain to set things up every week and send the mails to the 15 people, and check who's coming and who's not coming, checking the max number of players and so on.

I remember when I was gaming on a few mmorpg, we had a raidplanner. This is really what i would need, something like a raidplanner where I can say the date of the event, number of player max and some comments would be best too. Then the people can say if they can come or not and it will validate the first 5 persons if it is a 5 person game max.

Do any of you use something like this?

Can't you just invite everybody and play with whoever shows up? Can't you have more than one game going at a time? I don't understand what is so difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Rather than having to used a meet-up invitation system,
if you have some standard days, you could used a shared
google doc/calendar, and let people fill in slots they
want to play. One nice thing about this solution is that
it could handle events that the 'organizer' isn't even
involved in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We use meetup.com, and most of our events are recurring, and happen at gaming stores. A lot of groups in California (still) use Yahoo Groups.

https://www.gamersrollcall.com/ seems like it could become the tool you want, but doesn't seem to be there yet. At least, it wasn't ready for me. And I'm not sure if it is US-centric. It allows people to propose and vote on which games might be brought/played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a shameless plug, but a friend of mine is building this website for boardgamers to meet up. It's still in Beta though, and in Dutch. edit: link removed, pm me if you want to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben cor
Belgium
flag msg tools
First, thanks for all these answers, and so fast! I mean it's not even a day, in some forums you don't get that many answers in a week

calandale wrote:
Rather than having to used a meet-up invitation system,
if you have some standard days, you could used a shared
google doc/calendar, and let people fill in slots they
want to play. One nice thing about this solution is that
it could handle events that the 'organizer' isn't even
involved in.

This is exactly how I set it up after talking to one of my geek friend yesterday.

It seemed the best way and I especially like the fact that other people can add events too. The 15 people is only the ones I invite at home, but some of them also set up gaming sessions themselves. I'd like it if this calendar can become a big meet up for all types of gaming fans in my circle of friends

Ian Toltz wrote:
I created a circle in Google+ for the people I usually invite. Then I just create an event and invite that circle.

That's what I was searching for yesterday, I tried creating a distribution list in google but it didn't let me add it to an event. So I have to use a circle to be able to do that, good to know .

I think google calendar is great since it comes right into the phone of most of my friends.

For all the others who answered, everyone has their preferences, I don't like to phone so many people and I often set up 2 gaming session in a week so I like it simple, add 2 events and then people chose when they wanna come.

Geert :
I'm in brussels. I wouldn't have any gamer if I didn't let them drink beer I think. I have 2 friends of the 15 mentionned that don't drink at all. I just ask them to pay attention and pray that my games don't get damaged
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.