Dave Hace
Romania
flag msg tools
mb
The card is "IN THE RING".

We have a disagreement with the card that states that the current player must chose another player to send to the sickbay.

Opinion 1: The card means to say that the current player has to chose another (as in different from himself) to send to the sick bay.

Opinion 2: The card means to say that you need to have had a player sent to the sickbay already and the card would tell you to send another (as in not the original person) to sick bay. (another person implies that a person existed in the first place to be able to replace him)

Can you please clarify what opinion is right to settle the argument forever?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Opinion 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
mbmbmbmbmb
Hacktor wrote:
The card is "IN THE RING".

We have a disagreement with the card that states that the current player must chose another player to send to the sickbay.

Opinion 1: The card means to say that the current player has to chose another (as in different from himself) to send to the sick bay.

Opinion 2: The card means to say that you need to have had a player sent to the sickbay already and the card would tell you to send another (as in not the original person) to sick bay. (another person implies that a person existed in the first place to be able to replace him)

Can you please clarify what opinion is right to settle the argument forever?

Thank you!

What sense would it make to require someone be in sickbay to send someone to sickbay? If Opinion 2 were correct:
- Cally would need someone to have already been executed before she could execute "another character"...
- Baltar would need to have looked at someone else's Loyalty Cards before looking at all the Loyalty Cards belonging to "another player"...
- After encountering a Benevolent Helena Cain ally, you would need someone to already be executed before you could execute "another character"...
- After encountering a Benevolent Saul Tigh ally, you would need someone to already be in the Brig to send "another character" to the Brig...

...see? It makes no sense. Opinion 1 is the only way I've ever seen it played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
When trying to decide between two possible interpretations, it's generally better to favor the one that isn't stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Such a discussion usually only takes places when a frakkin' rules lawyer is present. True, the BSG rules leave much to be desired, but in this case the interpretation is pretty straightforward. I mean, if the card effect would only take place when already a person is in Sickbay, it would make that explicit, and would not leave it to you to interpret "another" in this convoluted way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also think about it thematically. In The Ring is about the boxing match. If you fail the check, the current player lost the bout and goes to Sickbay. If you trigger the consequence, the other participant in the fight goes to Sickbay. What would having someone already in Sickbay have to do with the boxing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey, as a rules lawyer, I take offense to that. Even I think the second interpretation is obtuse, dumb, and a deliberate obfuscation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
j0frenzy wrote:
Hey, as a rules lawyer, I take offense to that.

So sue me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
j0frenzy wrote:
Hey, as a rules lawyer, I take offense to that.

So sue me

Yeah, funny story. I'm in law school right now. Don't tempt me to learn by doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hace
Romania
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you As much as all the people at the table wanted to play with option 1... The one player that said option 2 would be the one to use had to be convinced by a higher authority ( you guys) until she was satisfied

Thank you all and please excuse us if the question was a bit stupid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.