Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl A.
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Greed, an artificial human that does his best to live up to his name.

Greed Character wrote:
3 Leadership
1 Tactics
1 Tactics/Politics

Defiant - On your turn, you may change the Pass Effect of a single Skill Check to “The Current Player draws 2 Politics Skill Cards.”

Ultimate Shield - Once per game, you may remain at your location when you would otherwise be sent to “Sickbay”.

Avaricious - You may never make a Crisis Card choice that will make you discard Skill Cards.

He seems ridiculously Pro-cylon to me. Any way to fix that, chaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the OpG needs to have an effect. So he stays on a damaged communications, now what? He can't repair it or anything...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl A.
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
He doesn't have to go to Sickbay. He gets his full complement of Skill Cards next turn instead of just 1. Admittedly, it's not exactly awe-inspiring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGBuster wrote:
He doesn't have to go to Sickbay. He gets his full complement of Skill Cards next turn instead of just 1. Admittedly, it's not exactly awe-inspiring.

He's going to have so many skill cards anyways, he won't care.

That's an idea!

Gluttony: Once per Game, You may reduce food by 2 to add 1 card to your skill draw (of any color)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of skill-checks have "do nothing" as the pass effect. Replacing those with "I draw cards" is pro-self, not pro-Cylon per se - odds favour it being pro-Human.

The "dodge-Sickbay" OPG is kinda underwhelming, but the Gluttony one is heavily pro-Cylon - the going rate for a point of food is 5 cards (Water/Food Shortage) - two points of food for one card...

Dee's OPG gets her three cards for no cost; Adama's usually fills his hand to overflowing. Zarek and Kat are the only players with OPGs that lower the dials - Zarek's is only 1 point and gains you 1 on another dial; Kat's ranges from 0-2 points, as the Cylon option on an ability that can take out a Basestar for a human player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... You do realize he can draw 6 cards per turn? Every turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:

If you want that to be the case, you should probably say "permanently" in the ability - I was reading it as a 1-shot activated during your Receive Skills step.

The question then becomes (particularly since it's not listed as costing an action): "Why would anyone use the ability at a time other than the first possible moment?"

If the extra card per turn-cycle is worth the food loss, you want to start it as early as possible to get as much benefit out of it as you can. If it isn't worth trading food for the extra card per turn-cycle at the beginning of the game, why would it suddenly become worth it halfway through, when the gain is going to be less?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well then, he has no OpG and just has a draw of 3 leadership, 1 politics, 1 tactics, and 1 politics/tactics. Seems balanced to me, as he wouldn't be getting any more diversity, just more overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:
Well then, he has no OpG and just has a draw of 3 leadership, 1 politics, 1 tactics, and 1 politics/tactics. Seems balanced to me, as he wouldn't be getting any more diversity, just more overall.

Or he could pick Engineering or another Tactics to cover shortages in the crew's skill draw (or even another Leadership)

The only things he wouldn't pick up would be Piloting (most of the cards are only useful for Pilots or for spiking most skillchecks) or Treachery (I suppose there could be a case for trying for the Broadcast Location reckless play, but...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I mean he has a fixed skill draw of six cards, no OpG, and no resource loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting how his weakness and other abilities conflict... he gets more cards, but can't discard them like that. Only genuine pro-cylon thing is changing the pass effect of something like Legendary Discovery or Colonial Day, as is, it can still be a cylon thing to do.

Hdnggrnchrg wrote:
how are you getting 6 skill cards from that?

3 green
1 purple
1 yellow OR purple

... for 5 cards. Even if you count his special, it should be 7 cards, no?

Hdnggrnchrg wrote:
I think the OpG needs to have an effect. So he stays on a damaged communications, now what? He can't repair it or anything...
I know this was just an illustrative example, but worth noting is that Communications and Research Lab (+Sickbay and Brig) are the only locations on Gal. that can't be damaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Bob was referring to his suggested change, not to the original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The drawback doesn't mechanically work. What if there are no Nukes left and Admiral Greed draws Build Cylon Detector?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
The drawback doesn't mechanically work. What if there are no Nukes left and Admiral Greed draws Build Cylon Detector?

He has no choice in the matter. He would only have one option anyways. But what if it's "current player discards 2 skill cards, or president (greed) discards 3"?

I'd change it to "On a crisis card, you must choose a choice that results in you involuntarily discarding the least number of skill cards, if possible." this accounts for if the choice is between a skill check and a food loss, giving him the choice because now his contributions don't count towards his drawback. Before, it was ambiguous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:
He has no choice in the matter. He would only have one option anyways.

Doesn't he have zero options? He can't discard a nuke, so he can't choose the first option, and he can't discard, so he can't choose the second option.

I like your new wording except for the word "involuntarily". If Greed has a choice between discarding 3 cards or losing a Food, he could choose to discard and then say, "Totally legal, the discard was voluntary, that's why I chose it, I could have chosen not to discard, so it wasn't involuntary". Which clearly isn't your intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:
He has no choice in the matter. He would only have one option anyways.

Doesn't he have zero options? He can't discard a nuke, so he can't choose the first option, and he can't discard, so he can't choose the second option.

I like your new wording except for the word "involuntarily". If Greed has a choice between discarding 3 cards or losing a Food, he could choose to discard and then say, "Totally legal, the discard was voluntary, that's why I chose it, I could have chosen not to discard, so it wasn't involuntary". Which clearly isn't your intent.

Well, he does not have a nuke to discard, so that option doesn't exist for him. He can't pick it. Period. He must pick the second option, which is discarding.

I worded it like that so if the choice was between a skill check and discarding 2 cards, he could play in as many as he wanted. Would "You must pick a choice on a crisis card that results in the least possible cards being discarded from your hand. Cards played into skill checks do not count towards this limit." Is that better now?

EDIT: No, he would have to choose the food, because Then there would be 3 cards being discarded. That is a given if choosing that option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Independent of the discussion of the character, is there even any crisis where the choices are person discards or different person(s) discard? Because I don't think there is.
And I would argue the text of Build Cylon Detector trumps his drawback. His drawback negates his ability to choose. The crisis negates the option entirely. Similarly, I'm pretty certain Helo cannot force the change of Build Cylon Detector with his OPG because the top option is still not valid but he can force Tory Foster to change her choice despite her drawback.
I make no judgements of the character itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
j0frenzy, you are right on both counts. The closest is Admiral Grilled, and according to my logic he couldn't pick the skill check because he might lose cards. Sounds greedy enough, don't you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about fail conditions where he discards cards? What happens then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
What about fail conditions where he discards cards? What happens then?

If say, average the cards lost if passed/failed, and compare that to the other choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd say choosing to take the skill check is not the same as choosing to discard. But we can craft some special wording if the intent is that he can not chose to take a skill check where he could have to discard. Might get a bit verbose. Sorry I'm not giving any opinions on the character. I just don't have anything really constructive to say on that front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.