Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weyland Consortium's ability is probably the worst of the four Corps. Gaining an extra credit off Beanstalk and Hedge Fund isn't intrinsically bad, but those are the only cards currently in the game with which it can be exercised. It won't cost you any Influence to do so and 1 cred is 1 cred, but it's still pretty narrow right now.

Upgrades:

Research Station is certainly useful, but at 2 cost and the extra compulsion to protect HQ (and the extra attraction is creates for the Runner), I'm not sure about it's worth.

Assets:
Security Subcontract can certainly be a moneymaker with a couple of pieces of Weyland ICE that are low cost to install, but the extra action taken to do so tends to make me think that there are better ways of making money, especially given that SS is taking up an asset space of its own.

Operations:
Beanstalk Royalties is, of course, easy money. 3 credits at the cost of a card is a deal that most players would make (and will at the cost of 1 influence.) It's also thematically emblematic, since the Beanstalk is presented as the key to Weyland being amongst the ranks of the big-time Corps in the first place.
Scorched Earth is situational and has a moderate cost but could be a game-winning card unto itself, especially since the only quick defense is Crash Space.
Aggressive Negotiation is a cheap tutor, even if situational.
Shipment from Kaguya is a brilliant card that works well with other Weyland cards and will be splashed across most other Corp decks, as well; even NBN.

ICE:
Hadrian's Wall is hideously expensive but is available to Kaguya and potentially invulnerable to the normal run.
Shadow, OTOH, is cheap and weak but also subject to Kaguya and may be an easy source of credits that the Runner won't bother to worry about, at first, since they'll be more concerned about the substantial trace.
Ice Wall is cheap and weak but easy to rez and another money-draining hurdle on any run.
Archer is relatively cheap to install, has good strength, and the most subroutines in the game. Really solid, plus points for the name. ("Hey, I know you're upset, but if you ever mention my mother's loins or their frothiness to me again, I don't know what I'll do ... but it will be bad. Now let's go bury this dead hooker.")

Like NBN, Weyland has an ICE gap, as they lack Code Gates. Same question occurs here as with [thread=http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/843760/nbn]NBN[/thread]: Is it a bigger problem for the Corp or the Runner?

Agendas:
Hostile Takeover is probably worth it the first time. A point plus 7 credits is worth handing the Runner a free credit on his runs. But after that, it's getting a little problematic unless you're well on your way to victory.
Posted Bounty's ability is almost never worth it unless you're NBN, which you aren't, especially since you spent 3 tokens to score it.

Weyland is... weird. They have no money problems and can do some colossal hand destruction. Traces are possible and their ICE is solid. But they seem to lack a real strategy, which can be good and bad. Good = versatility. Bad = lack of direction or real card combos. I'd really like to see where FFG takes them with new cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Garrett
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
The Ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes. Everything else is....
mbmbmbmb
Re: Weyland Construction
I would like to point out that having no money problems and solid ice is a very viable strategy, if a somewhat boring one. A broke corp is a dead corp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For me their greatest downsides at this point are the agendas and the lackluster identity ability. Since those are there very thing that are completely fixed at this point that makes them a pretty hard sell for me... New agendas and new transaction operations down the road may well fill that gap that currently exists between their power level and that of other corps as I see it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manick74 wrote:
I would like to point out that having no money problems and solid ice is a very viable strategy, if a somewhat boring one. A broke corp is a dead corp.

Sure. In that respect, they're a bit like HB but a bit more dynamic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Wetland is a concession to the old school Netrunner community that said embarrassing things like "I'm not going to play with identities," or lamented the inclusion of Factions. It's a vanilla Classic Netrunner Corp, out of the box at least.

I'm still surprised the rules didn't suggest them for the first Corp / Runner match-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going up against Weyland... what you have to realize is that the Runner always has in the back of their mind "I'm going up against Weyland".

There is power in the threat, very real in a Weyland deck, that if the Runner ends their turn with three or fewer cards in hand, that they will never see another turn again.

Weyland's Agenda, besides the two private ones, play to Weyland's strength in spades.
Private Security Force combines with their multiple ways to tag (via traces and Posted Bounties) to keep the Runner very honest. If PSF is scored, the Runner CANNOT end their turn with 2 or fewer cards in hand, or they're dead. With the threat of Scorched Earth, that number is now 5 - aka the Runner's hand limit.

Meanwhile, priority requisition can allow Weyland to ignore some of the biggest ICE Rez costs in the game, including forfeiture of an Agenda (on Archer) - potentially the most expensive piece of ICE in the entire game!

Kayuga can be used to boost the big 'keep out' signs that Weyland erects on their front lawn while simultaneously putting out the word by posting 'WANTED' posters all over New Angeles.

The +1 Credit on 6 cards in the deck is not to be ignored (though I still wish it was any Transaction, not just the Operations).

Aggressive Negotiations lets you Post a Bounty and find that Scorched Earth directive at exactly the right time, which is when the Runner gets cocky and leaves his hand at less than full.

I really think too many people are underestimating Weyland's ability to do serious harm, and that a Runner who ignores that threat is as good as dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weyland makes money quickly, and has some strong ices that can be advanced, fast scoring abilities, cards that tag the runner even during his sleep, and muscled operations. I see nothing bad with this faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah -- Weyland also has the cheapest total faction cost (gotten by adding up all of the costs in an out-of-the-box Weyland deck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyjam wrote:
Weyland makes money quickly, and has some strong ices that can be advanced, fast scoring abilities, cards that tag the runner even during his sleep, and muscled operations. I see nothing bad with this faction.

Examined in isolation, no. However, lacking the attractive game play bells and whistles of the other Corps, I imagine Weyland decks will be whiling away their lonesome in most player's Core boxes. With limited time to play, and far more "fun" Corps in the mix, it'll take a while for them to rise to the fore.

Are they bad? No, not at all. If I had the chance to play only one game in a day, would they be my first pick? Nope, and especially not if we were playing mono-faction games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
it'll take a while for them to rise to the fore.

Let's hope "a while" only means "until we get the first AP."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Grant
United Kingdom
Dyce
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weyland are the glorious bastards of the corps. The classic boardroom thugs that border on organised crime with shareholder legitimacy. I want to play as the Big Bad Wolf.

I'll be keen to see what I can add to Weyland to shore up a few holes but I like the economic machine that races the hacker then gut punches them for over extending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reed makamson
United States
Vallejo
California
flag msg tools
I go with some bioroid ice: love ichi and don't underestimate rototurrent. corporate troubleshooter makes for nice surprise. project junebug splashes easy and its a great bait-and-switch. chum and wall of thorns fill out the ice roster nicely. and to me, zaibatsu loyalty is a must in any corp deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reebomak wrote:
I go with some bioroid ice: love ichi and don't underestimate rototurrent. corporate troubleshooter makes for nice surprise. project junebug splashes easy and its a great bait-and-switch. chum and wall of thorns fill out the ice roster nicely. and to me, zaibatsu loyalty is a must in any corp deck.

Zaibatsu loyalty is a very nice card for trap oriented Corps to run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to be "that guy" but I need to point out that it's Weyland Consortium and not Construction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops. Ha. Noted and changed. Don't know where I got "construction" from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackwraith wrote:
Oops. Ha. Noted and changed. Don't know where I got "construction" from.

I liked the construction more...
Really think that it was intention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Trent
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Wayland in the turnament last night. Their distructive power is not to be underestimated. I tagged and bagged four runners last night in four rounds. If my runner deck had performed as well I would be super happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone called the Wetland at one point. Wetland Construction, for a better tomorrow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Splittgerber
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Quote:
Posted Bounty's ability is almost never worth it unless you're NBN, which you aren't, especially since you spent 3 tokens to score it.

What about when you have a scorched earth in your hand?

Don't have one? No problem:

Quote:
Aggressive Negotiations lets you Post a Bounty and find that Scorched Earth directive at exactly the right time, which is when the Runner gets cocky and leaves his hand at less than full.

Weyland seems really strong to me. Economical superiority is not to be underestimated. They have lots of nasty tools, and some really great splash combos:

-Matrix Analyzer (NBN) to throw advancement around on, say, the buffable ice that's next in line.

-Data Raven (NBN) to make the runner fear for his life, because he assumes you're packing a scorched earth.

-Archived Memories (HB) to get your scorched earth/transaction/trashed ice back

-Trap Assets (Junebug/Ghost Branch/Aggressive Secretary) Because you have lots of ways to advance things quickly and you're already sitting on certain agendas. The runner may think that looming Posted Bounty is actually a Junebug with 3 advancements on it.

-Precision attacks like closed accounts (NBN) - You can already ensure the tag on your turn with Posted bounty, and you're already an econ monster. Why not shut down the runner's econ while you're at it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric F
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
RTFM!
mbmbmbmb
In Genesis, they'll probably have more transactions so that will be less of an issue.

===

I look at an asset like Security Subcontract as something you play for the runner to bait. Play it with no ice protecting it if the runner doesn't have enough money to trash it. They'll poke it, see it, maybe burn creds to destroy it, awesome. You've wasted a click (and in the case of an asset like Pad Campaign, a bunch of their creds). I forget the cost to trash Security Subcontract off the top of my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.