Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Baldwin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Dwarf: Always finds hidden paths through mountains; Elf: Always finds hidden paths through woodlands.

Which co-ordinates, exactly, do these abilites work for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hidden paths through woodlands---any green field represents a hidden entrance in the woods. So that's the elf's strong point.

As for the Dwarf, I believe it's probably the case that his ability works on the red fields in the tiles that are all pretty much mountain, tunneling through caverns and the like. His ability working on all red fields doesn't make sense, since red fields are far more frequent than green ones, and even the wizard (who supposedly would excel at finding magical paths---red fields) doesn't get into them automatically.

I think the red fields in the mountains represent magical doors like the dwarven entrance to Moria, hence they are represented by red for magic. And the woodland fields are pretty much just lots of woods to get lost in, and not magical. At least, that's my explanation for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Welch
England
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the offical FAQ on the games website, only the red paths on tiles C and D are mountain passes.

"Only the area maps C and D contain mountains (in the sense of the dwarf ability and the carriage restriction). All other red secret fields are not mountains. Therefore the ability of the Magiers refers to more area maps than the ability of the dwarf (i.e.: The mountains are a subset of the red secret fields)."

This also raises something I hadn't heard before - a carriage restriction - I guess this means you can't drive the cart into the mountain passes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This also raises something I hadn't heard before - a carriage restriction - I guess this means you can't drive the cart into the mountain passes!

It is mentioned (in the german edition on an A4 sheet labeled 'Legende'), that the carriage may not move over (onto) red dots. Now the FAQ seems to restrict this to the mountain areas.

Although the FAQ says that other characters may pick up the carriage, at least some groups play that the one who bought it may pick it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:

It is mentioned (in the german edition on an A4 sheet labeled 'Legende'), that the carriage may not move over (onto) red dots. Now the FAQ seems to restrict this to the mountain areas.

Makes sense, as there seemed to be a misprint on the original German Legende---the red paths were referred to as mountain paths (Gebirgsweg) rather than secret paths (Geheimweg).

I shall have to see if I can apply the FAQ corrections to the current English rule help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.