United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
OverText intentionally left blank.
badge
Reach in to find out!
mbmbmbmbmb
One confusion we had with this expansion was when multiple features, each with multiple gold bars and a different controller, overlap and complete on a tile with a gold bar. The only way we could make sense of it was to allow the active player to decide the order in which the features completed (instead of having simultaneous scoring).

Anyone else come across this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christof Tisch
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If there are multiple features with gold scored, than everyone who is involved takes gold one after another until it is gone. It works like this:
The active player (or the closest to the active player in playing order) starts to take a gold piece he is allowed to take. Than the other players in playing orders take one at a time. But every player only can take gold from the feature he ha a majority in. So it might happen that a player gets no gold (although there was one he was allowed to take at the start), because the other players took it before him.

There is no need to do an order of the scored features. Just everone is joining in and takes what he is allowed to, till everything is gone.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Christof
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Spears
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
OverText intentionally left blank.
badge
Reach in to find out!
mbmbmbmbmb
Christof - Thank you! That is much better than our "work around"... We will have to use that in our future games with this expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking, say for example, if you complete a rode segment containing gold and a village containing gold simultaneously, each owned by a different person and sharing a similar tile (with gold)... how would the gold be distributed?

I would say... If the town (or road) has more than one meeple of the same color on it, they would get the gold on that tile (and gold on tiles also containing the same feature), and the owner of the road will get the gold that is on the road feature.

If the same amount of meeples, then the players will alternate taking gold, starting with the active player, from the shared tile(s) which contain both those features. Afterwards take the gold from the tiles of their own completed feature.

Just thinking out loud... does that sound about right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christof Tisch
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:
I was thinking, say for example, if you complete a rode segment containing gold and a village containing gold simultaneously, each owned by a different person and sharing a similar tile (with gold)... how would the gold be distributed?

I would say... If the town (or road) has more than one meeple of the same color on it, they would get the gold on that tile (and gold on tiles also containing the same feature), and the owner of the road will get the gold that is on the road feature.

If the same amount of meeples, then the players will alternate taking gold, starting with the active player, from the shared tile(s) which contain both those features. Afterwards take the gold from the tiles of their own completed feature.

It does not matter how many meeples one has on the features, as long as they have the majority. So like I stated above: after completing the features, all gold are distributed. The active player (or the one sitting closest to him) starts an takes one gold he is allowed to take. He certainly will choose the gold piece, the other player is also allowed to take. Then the other player takes one etc.

Another thing you mentioned in the comment:

ACGalaga wrote:
Nice little cheap expansion. I don't feel like the gold really does much to really be a strategic element, though. The points are too few, the max is 4 points for having 10 or more gold pieces.

I think you did missunderstand that. If you have 10 golds you get 4 points PER piece of gold = 40 points. 40 points can make a difference in a game. Another example: having 8 gold (times 3) gives you 24 points.

Regards
Christof
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
today, we had a situation that very nearly was like this (in general)

one player could have placed a tile that would simultaneously complete 2 cloisters and another player's city. There was gold everywhere. Would the player that completed 2 features collect gold twice on her turn?
also;

we have had other instances where a previously claimed road was completed by someone placing a goldmine tile - does the other player get a normal score first? before gold is placed?

That is, does completing a feature at the 'moment' of placement 'trump' adding gold to the mine and a neighboring tile? what is the order of resolution?

to me, it just doesn't seem clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sheehan
msg tools
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
today, we had a situation that very nearly was like this (in general)

one player could have placed a tile that would simultaneously complete 2 cloisters and another player's city. There was gold everywhere. Would the player that completed 2 features collect gold twice on her turn?
also;

we have had other instances where a previously claimed road was completed by someone placing a goldmine tile - does the other player get a normal score first? before gold is placed?

That is, does completing a feature at the 'moment' of placement 'trump' adding gold to the mine and a neighboring tile? what is the order of resolution?

to me, it just doesn't seem clear.

You're right, the basic set of rules don't describe the gold distribution procedure when multiple features are completed with a single tile, but the method described above by Christof seems to be a fair way to go about it. For the purposes of collecting gold, it doesn't matter who completes the features, just who has followers in them, so if you complete multiple features, you would still only be able to pick up one gold, and then allow the next player (going clockwise) to select a gold bar that they are entitled to (at least tied for most followers on a feature being scored), and so on. After everyone else who is entitled to gold has taken one gold bar, that's when you would pick up your second gold.

When you play a goldmine, the first thing you do is place the gold bars, then place a follower if you wish, then score completed features and distribute gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.