T Scott
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've created a generic score tracker app that I've named "Bead Pusher" for Android. It's a simple gaming aid that allows you to create custom scoring tracks for various board and card games. What really inspired it was seeing the recently released Mage Wars and the different iterations they went through with the scoring track. I thought it would be fun to create a customizable app that could fulfill that role and Bead Pusher is the result.

Before I put it out on Google Play or the Amazon App Store, I'd like to have BGG'ers kick the tires and see what they think. Here are the requirements to be a beta tester:

1) Access to an Android device. It can be a phone, tablet, or whatever. Sorry. This is not compatible with any Apple products.

2) Willingness to submit constructive criticisms / wants / improvement suggestions.

In return for feedback, I'll list your name in the credits. That's right! YOUR NAME! Appearing directly in a released APP! That there is a quick way to instant fame and fortune if I ever saw one!

Dropbox link

rev1RC5 posted 8/23/2012-2209cdt
- changed appearance of the grid

rev1RC4 posted 8/20/2012-1124cdt
- added help menu to editor toolbar (Thanks Karl!)
- some under the hood changes

Here are some screenshots:

Thanks,
--tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yes; "beads for jewelry...not bread for eating!..."

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Scott
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL! I loved "Almost Live"! At the risk of making this thread totally go off the rails... I'll see your Bead Store and raise you one "The Worst Girlfriend in the World":

--tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl J. Smith
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Quick feedback:

Navigation is a bit weird, there's no menu button with three vertical dots like most recent Android (4.0+) apps have. I'm never quite sure what the home icon will do.

On a 10-inch tablet, it would be nice to be able to put more than one grid on the same screen.

When you drag a bead, it should highlight the square it's on, and the number should be displayed in the title of the tab, so that you can see what your current tab is set to, and what the others are set to also. (This may conflict with having multiple grids on a page).

There should be a help button that pops up a window over the tools in edit mode - having to click each one to find out what they do takes a while, and the icon's aren't very obvious. This may be another good place for a popup menu with icons next to a text description of the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Scott
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karl,

Thanks for giving it a shot and providing feedback!

- I'll see about adding a "..." menu button. I tend to bake navigation controls directly into apps UI, but you are right, the current navigation can be somewhat confusing.

- I like the highlighting + number value ideas. I'll see what I can do there.

- I'll add a help-context menu to the editor. One thing that is difficult with a touch vs. desktop style app is that you lose the tool-tip pop-ups that you get when you hover over with a mouse. I have thought about adding a long-press for help-menu pop-up, but don't know if that is all that intuitive.

Thanks again!
--tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Barraza
United States
Harker Heights
Texas
flag msg tools
Is this thread still open? I've been hoping for a Mage Wars app to be released for a while, because using the trackers that come with the game can be a real pain. For some reason, the beads tend to move around a lot more than I'd like them too, and it's not just for Mage Wars. If I can be of any assistance, I'd love to help out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.